Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheWonderer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Large bubble in toilet when we flush
    We have just recently moved into a 1400 sq ft apartment in Raleigh North Carolina. Both toilets started giving us trouble right away. They would flush paper OK but not poo and both toilets bubbled, something we have never seen before. We called the apartment office and maintenance has been in to 'fix' them 5 times. They ran a short snake down both, raised the floater balls a bit to allow for more water to go with each flush hoping to give the toilets a bit more power. And even took one of the toilets completely off the floor to look up in the bottom and down the floor. They have found no clogs and are stumped. They don't seem to think the bubble is anything to be concerned about.

They finally called in a "real plumber". But all he did was watch each toilet flush and run a short handheld snake (about 3 foot) down each and declared that both toilets looked fine to him. :rolleyes: I asked him what was with the bubble and he said it meant that the ventilation in the apartment was really good. That there is a pipe that leads up to the roof and it was clearly giving the toilets plenty of air. :confused:

This is exactly what happens when we flush either toilet:
    As soon as we press the lever a large bubble comes out of the small hole that's inside the larger hole. Only about half the water in the back tank empties out as it flushes. But the bowl fully empties. It refills fine until it's almost done then we get a few small bubbles that come in as it finishes filling.

But if someone has had a bowel movement then the bubble comes out, things start to go down but the poo doesn't get very far down before it all pretty much stops. The water will slow in draining and then stops. Nothing has left the bowl and it's already 'clogged'. It takes a lot of plunging and several flushes to get it all gone.

The water pressure in the apartment isn't very good either. If water is running anywhere then the water will run very poorly anywhere else. So we try to only run one thing at a time. There are only two toilets here and the are at opposite ends of the apartment from each other. But the toilets work poorly even if nobody else is running any water.

Sorry for such a long post but wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible. I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots, or am I the idiot?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2007, 11:30 AM
    A bubble out of your toilets indicates a blockage downstream from the fixture that's doing the bubbling. Any experienced plumber should know that. Just running a closet auger down the toilet and peeking down a open closet bend is just wasted time. The drain lines will have to be snaked, with a real sewer snake, and cleared. This can be done from a roof vent or from a open closet bend.
    As for your low water pressure when more then one fixture makes a draw that indicates (1) Undersized pipes **or** (2) old galvanized pipes that have minerals built up in the pipe walls constricting the flow. My bet's on door number two. Good luck, Tom
    TheWonderer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Thanks so much for such a quick reply Speedball. I just got a call today from the apartment office, apparently they plan to install an industrial toilet in one of the bathrooms to see it that will help. They said if it does help then they will install a second one in the other bathroom too. I figure I will let them install it. Why not get a new better toilet out of this mess. But if what you say is true then it won't matter and the bubbles will still be there. Then I will show them what you said and see if I can get them to run a longer snake. The toilet is supposed to be installed sometime tomorrow, so will see soon if it makes any difference or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet won't flush [ 6 Answers ]

Our toilet will not flush all the way. We tried shortening and lengthening the chain and that did not help. It looks like the flapper is closing too soon. How can I fix this? Or Do you think this is even the problem?

Shower causes toilet to bubble & clog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower that is close to a toilet. Infrequently, when someone it taking a shower the toilet will eventually start bubling (with big bubbles). And it seems that usually afterwards the toilet will be clogged (sometimes the shower drain gets clogged too). After awhile, though, the clog...

I need a large lake in my toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a small puddle of water in my toilet bowl. I'm hoping to get some ideas on which toilets are the best. I want a lake. A big lake. I also want something that will scare people when it's flushed. I want the floor to shake as my lake is emptied and a new lake emerges. So some ideas...

Bubble, bubble, toilet trouble! [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 2 bath home, ranch style. The toilet and shower in the master are fine, as is the kitchen sink and the laundry room. In the main bath, my toilet won't drain, when plunged out it backs into the tub drain. Also, when I run the water in the tub, it makes the toilet bubble. Same thing...

Bubble in Toilet when washer discharges [ 5 Answers ]

I recently updated a bathroom in our house and have now noticed a few drain problems. It started at the beginning of the week, about 2 days after I finished the toilet and sink installation. There never was a vent on this side of the house, and it is about 75 feet away from the main bathroom that...

View more questions Search