Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aspoole Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 10:38 AM
    80s early 90s Disney TV movie about a witch
    Okay, I LOVED this movie when I was a younger, but I can't remember the name of it. I believe it was a Disney made for TV movie. It was about a boy and girl. The girl is a witch, and she lives on a lake with her grandmother or mom. There is a scene where she teaches the boy to skip rocks. There's another scene where she helps him across a log bridge by hypnotizing him with her (green?) eyes. In the end she points her two fingers at his eyes and says "I zapped you" and then kisses his cheek. It was a sweet little movie, but I can't find ANYTHING about the title anywhere. Any help would be great!
    Purukivel Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Your mystery flick is the 1987 TV movie The Witching of Ben Wagner, starring Sam Bottoms, Sylvia Sidney, and Bettina Rae as the "witch". Full details can be found at YouTube, along with a clip that seems to cover at least a few of your plot points (including the rock-skipping scene). The plot summary: "When Ben Wagner's family moves to a small town, he makes a mysterious new friend, 13-year old Regina. Because Regina dresses differently than the other kids and lives with her grandmother by a lake, local gossip says she's a witch. When Regina tells Ben, "You can do it, Ben." Ben thinks she's put a spell on him and finds courage to do things he never imagined he could do. When Ben stops listening to gossip, he discovers that Regina's real power is her ability to get him to believe in himself. This enchanting story teaches that the real magic in life comes from helping each other believe in ourselves."
    princess8690 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Ugh thank you thank u. I have been killing myself over trying to find this movie. All I remember was a witch house, logs and a little boy and girl. My mom thought I was going crazy! Ha thanks guys
    peaches12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
    Thank you SO much for answering this! I've been trying to figure out the name of this movie for years. After I saw it, I started wearing black everyday...
    AREA666 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Oh wow, I am in your debt. I have been trying to remember this movie for like 10 years now, posting and searching around to no avail. All I could remember that would make it stick out to me was that there was a boy who was flying a remote control airplane outside of a car near a lake, and then in that YouTube trailer I knew right away this was the movie; I have had a little persistent weight lifted off me now, thank you very much.
    LaChanteuse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 10:00 AM
    What is the name of the made-for-television movie in the early 1980s about two sisters with kinetic powers? One of the sisters is mentored by a teacher or counselor and shown how to use her powers. There is a scene with flying knives in a kitchen.
    whatchamacallit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 04:39 PM
    While trying to rack my brain I also came across an old mini-series that I believe aired during the Mickey Mouse Club (1992?) called "The Secret of Lost Creek." with Shannen Doherty.

THANK YOU for knowing this movie!
    MystMoonstruck Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 20, 2013, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LaChanteuse View Post
    What is the name of the made-for-television movie in the early 1980s about two sisters with kinetic powers? One of the sisters is mentored by a teacher or counselor and shown how to use her powers. There is a scene with flying knives in a kitchen.
    There are two possibilities. In the first one, there are two sisters, but only one has skills. She is being tutored for them. In the second one I listed, they aren't sisters but are rivals~one practicing witch and one learning about her powers with help from a mentor.

The Spell (1977 TV movie)
    Starring Susan Myers, Lee Grant, Helen Hunt, James Olson
    IMDb review:
    Rita has a nice face and is not at all a bad kid. She's introverted but very intelligent. Her problem is her weight, which her classmates tease her about. To make matters worse, she has a knockout sister with whom she doesn't get along with. It is hinted that her father has been guilty of playing favorites.It's the gym teacher at her school that brings attention to and develops her innate ability. But it's Rita's mother who has to pull her troubled daughter back from the brink of abusing her power. There is a scene with a showdown between the gym teacher and Rita when they have a dispute as to how she should use her talents.
    The Spell (TV Movie 1977) - IMDb

Midnight Offerings (1981 TV movie)
    IMDb synopsis:
    In a shocking bit of counter-casting, Melissa Sue Anderson (of "Little House on the Prairie") stars in this TV-movie shocker as Vivian Sotherland, a beautiful -- and wholly evil -- teenaged witch. Accustomed to eliminating anyone who gets in her way, Vivian has lovingly made certain that her sweetheart David Sterling (Patrick Cassidy) will not flunk out of high school through the simple expedient of killing all his teachers. Alas, the clueless David throws Vivian over in favor of a new girl in school, Robin Prentiss (Mary Beth McDonough of "The Waltons"). Fully prepared to add Robin to her ever-growing list of victims, Vivian is rather put out to discover that her romantic rival possesses a few supernatural powers of her own. // Also in the cast are Marion Ross, Gordon Jump, Cathryn Damon, Jack Garner, Dana Kimmell and Gary Dubin.
    Midnight Offerings (TV Movie 1981) - IMDb
    ari207 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 08:09 AM
    Thank you SO much I have been looking for the title of this movie for so long.
    MystMoonstruck Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
    Oops! I responded to the wrong person!
    bamaboi82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2016, 07:23 PM
    I've looked for this movie for 15 plus years now and could never find it ty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late 80s to early 90s movie about worms [ 8 Answers ]

My friend and I are trying to remember the title of a movie we saw in the late 80s or early 90s about a family in the future (very suburban, Leave it to Beaver feeling). But the movie is very bizarre. A few scenes I recall - the mother slicing up some big ugly worm thing like bologna to eat as a...

Three unknown animated movie titles 80s/early 90s [ 26 Answers ]

For the last couple years I've been on a quest to find all the movies I used to love as a kid. But I'm down to 3 that seem impossible! Maybe one of you can help me! :D Movie 1 - I recently had a tiny break in this case. This movie was almost definitely made from a children's book called "The...

80s or early 90s TV movie [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of an 1980s or early 90s TV movie. I don't remember much about it. All I remember is that a man and wife were divorced or separated and their little boy ( I think his name was David) went to stay with his dad for the weekend and his dad set the house on fire while the...

Late 80s or early 90s movie [ 1 Answers ]

Well, about a week or two ago a saw this movie on TV but really late at night. It's from the 90s I think but I don't know what the name is and I would like to know because I really liked the movie. I can't remember much, only that its about this girl named Don, I think, that's in junior high and...

80s or early 90s movie? [ 2 Answers ]

I think it's a movie from the 80s or early 90s. My brother and I have been trying to find it everywhere. There was this house with random people. I think they were all family members. One was a fly with a human head. There was a realllllly big baby. I'm pretty sure it was a comedy. If anyone could...

View more questions Search