Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpie00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Repainting ceder siding
    I have painted ceder siding shakes on my house. I am in the process of prepping it to repaint.
    Is is OK to put some caulking in between the shakes that have wheathered/shrunk and now have a gap? If so, what kind.
    Also should I prime the areas where a scraped off some old paint prior to repainting?
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Cedar shakes expand and contract quite a bit with moisture and temp. The cracks between them should be OK, caulk will just fall out. If the under course of shakes is still making a good seal I'd leave it with just fresh primer and paint. Really weathered shakes should be replaced. Zinsser makes some pretty good primers. Primer Sealers from Zinsser - drywall primer, exterior paint primer
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
    I Agree, If The Shakes Are Damaged Underneath Just Replace Them, I Wouldn't Use Any Caulk On These

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repainting Refrigerator ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently considering repainting my refrigerator and I am interested in any experiences people may have had with this process. I have read about both DIY enamels and Pro electrostatic. Any input you may have would be helpful. Thanks, Morrowrj

Pool repainting [ 1 Answers ]

My pool is 21 years old and has brown spots on it. I do not have the money to replaster. Is Zeron Epoxy a good product to use to repaint it?

Cost of repainting... [ 1 Answers ]

I'll be turning 16 in December and my mom's car will become mine. It's painted a redish-maroon color that I do not care for. I would love to repaint it a navy blue or maybe green, but I'm not sure how much it would cost. Could anyone give me a ballpark figure on how costly this could potentially...

View more questions Search