Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frankiebank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 05:36 AM
    501c3 Misuse of Funds
    Is it consider a misuse of funding if a 501c3 uses funds out of a general fund for an engineer survey that should have been paid for with funds from a capital campaign? People are solicited for funds and informed their donations are going towards the care of the animals in every plea. There is never a mention of the building fund. These people are donating to the general fund to help support the animals of a shelter, and the Board of Directors are spending $20,000 out of this account to do an engineering survey on their leased piece of property. There has been no capital campaign started, and they have had a signed lease on this property for almost 1 year. I know you cannot use capital funding for anything else, but what it is collected for, but I did not know if it were true about the reverse.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 07:55 AM
    The organization can use their operating funds for any use they want (as long as it fits within the charter of the organizatoin). The only caveat is that any money donated with restrictions must be ear-marked for the purpose intended by the donor. This does not appear to be a misuse of funds at all.

In the period leading up to a capital campaign it is quite normal to incur expenses . My suggestion would be to set up a separate operating fund to track campaign costs. This where you would book all expenses associated with the campaign, starting as soon as possible. Then you get a resolution from the board that authorizes the transfer of money from the general fund to the campaign fund to pay these expenses, with the commitment by the board to have the campaign fund pay the general fund back once the campaign gets under way. Other expenses that you may incur prior to the official launch of the campaign may include things like feasibility studies, travel to visit potential major donors, and consultants' fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a 501c3? [ 1 Answers ]

Starting a new ministry and wanting to know how and IF we need to get a 501c3? We will have a staff and future property.

Credit Card misuse ? [ 4 Answers ]

I hope I can explain this situation clearly enough to be understood. Mrs A submits a credit card application for herself with her daughter listed as an authorized user. Credit card is issued in the name of Mrs A's deceased husband with daughter listed as an authorized user. Authorized daughter...

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Rahfeki Brown the questioned I have is can I file my 501c3 on my own don't want to pay the 400.00 dollars to someone else if I can do it myself

501c3 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I originally posted under philanthropy/charity and was directed to repost here for possible insight. Below are my two posts, if you can shed any light on the topic, I'd much appreciate it: Ok, here is my situation. I have a friend who needs adaptive equipment in the form of a service dog....

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

I am applying for a 501c3 tax status.I don't know if it will be a private foundation or not. Here is what I am looking at doing. Starting a christian camp for teens, that is funded with grants aand church support and help by indiv. Got any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search