Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogram Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2005, 09:07 AM
    AC condenser wiring
    I am in desperate need of a wiring diagram or wiring info for my condenser unit. I had a repairman out to repair the unit when it quit cooling. As it turned out he was not a repairman but a rip off instead. The problem was the fan motor. When he attempted to install an old used single sp motor in place of a new two speed motor which the unit came with, I complained and he walked off. He cut all of the wiring for the condensing unit and left them hanging. All wires to the start caps have been cut for the fan and the compressor. All wires from the contactor have been pulled off and left hanging. The unit is a Heil high effic. I had bought a new two sp fan motor but when I went to install it I found all wiring had been left disconnected. I know that all units are wired basically the same but I have never had to completely rewire a unit. A simple drawing would be a great help. Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2005, 08:30 PM
    I can't give you what you need, and haven't seen any answers here suggesting another will. Sometimes the unit itself will have a diagram on it. If it was installed along with the furnace, there could be a packet at the furnace with the diagram you need. You might try their website or a tech service number.

If no luck, you may be back to trying to sort stuff out. 2 of the wires from the compressor motor, and fan go to the relay. A couple more go to the start capacitor. You may be able to sort out which wire goes with which by matching color and size.

Frankly, what you should do is call a HVAC professional, let him sort it out, and then sue the vandal for the cost. Of course, suing is not the same as collecting. You might check to see if he was operating without a required license. Seeing him pay a fine wouldn't get your A/C back on, but might protect somebody else.

Aug 14, 2005, 05:27 AM
    Condenser Wiring
    Thanks for your reply Labman. Believe it or not, The culprit took the diagram off the back of the access panel. He also cut the wires on my old fan motor so close to the housing so as to make it impossible for me to reuse it or get it checked out. This makes me suspect everything this guy said. After reading articles relating to air conditioning systems, I believe my problem was the start and run capacitor. I think I have sorted out the wiring already. It seems that as you said, there are 2 large wires and one smaller wire coming from the compressor. One large wire goes to one switched side of the contactor and the other goes to the other switched side. The smaller wire goes to the cap. Which is wired to another switched terminal on the contactor. I have what I believe is a split start / run capacitor because there are three lugs on it. My new fan motor came with it's own capacitor. Does this sound about right to you. My fan motor is a 2sp motor so I have 2 wires that go to the cap, 1 wire is common and 2 wires are hi and low speed. This is where I am losing it. I am not sure where the 2 speed wires should go. My old motor does not show which wires are which on the label like the new one. All of the colors are different and the old motor had only 4 wires whereas the new motor has 5. Thanks for your reply and concern.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2005, 05:34 PM
    I am sure there is a little warmer spot somewhere for people that remove service diagrams to spend eternity.

For now, if you didn't get a diagram with the new motor, you should be able to go back to where you bought it for the info on it. It is possible they sold you a motor with several speeds including the 2 you need. See what you can find out.

Aug 15, 2005, 01:38 AM
    Condenser wiring
    Labman,
    I think I have it all sorted out. However, when that man who called himself a repairman wired in his own used motor which he left connected, he removed all wiring for old motor which was connected with a plug. The way he wired in the replacement fan motor has a large wire going to the unswitched side of the contactor. Would that be the common? Another large wire was on the switched side of the contactor and a third wire went to the cap. Does this make sense? Should I connect the mew fan motor in this manner?
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2005, 07:28 AM
    NO. There is a heater element on the condenser that is connected to the unswitched side of the relay. All the connections to the motor should be on the switched side.

Aug 15, 2005, 04:59 PM
    Condenser Wiring
    Labman,
    Thanks so much for your help. I have rewired the unit and it is working great. I spoke with the people at Heil and they are sending me a new set of diagrams. Once more evil has failed to prevail!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan not running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 25 year old Carrier (Model 28GS) A/C. It has been working fine until today. The condenser fan (outdoors) doesn't turn on, but I do hear the hum of the compressor. I believe the fan should be running all the time. I'm assuming the compressor is operating OK, even though it's not that...

Condenser problems! [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a used condenser unit from a reputable hvac dealer/installer last year, but only this year got a chance to install. Everything as far as I know was hooked up correctly, but when the thermostat is turned to a/c the contactor engages but absolutely nothing from the condenser. The blower...

Wiring of a Rheem Condenser fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

The motor looks to have 2 orange wires, 1 black wire, and 1 brown wire. Where do they go back to. Do the 2 orange wires go to the capacitor? Black go to contact + and brown to common? The 2 orange wires have continuity between them with no or little resistance. Are these both ground wires or...

Outside condenser fan not working [ 2 Answers ]

Outside unit condenser fan not running. Compressor seems working OK. I followed some advice to have run capacitor replaced but still the same. I also found there is a small noise inside the unit even we don't run that air conditioner. There is no sign we have a burned wire and fan motor likes...

View more questions Search