Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Attached garage not insulated
    I've got a ranch house with an attached garage. The garage is not in any way insulated which doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is there is no wall in the attic between the house and garage. I live in upstate NY and the winters are pretty cold up here, should I build an insulating wall between the house and garage?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Is there not insulation in the attic ( home ceiling) and is not the attic vented anyway,?

Personally I would insulate my garage
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coach78
    I've got a ranch house with an attached garage. The garage is not in any way insulated which doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is there is no wall in the attic between the house and garage. I live in upstate NY and the winters are pretty cold up here, should I build an insulating wall between the house and garage?
    I would love to insulate my garage but really cannot afford it right now. I was just looking for a short term (1-2 yr) quick fix to conserve any heat lost through the attic which is insulated and vented at each end of the house.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 05:41 PM
    So you have vents on each end of the attic, so you can't be losing any more heat than just having it open. It is the attic insulation that is so important,
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Yes I Would Build A Gable Wall Between The Too But You'll Still Need Access To The Garage Ceiling For Code And Or Access To Wires
    After You've Built The Wall Insulate With R13 Or 15
    beaglesgal Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2007, 09:32 AM
    We just added an attached garage and the wall between the garage and the house had to be completely sealed by code... insulated and sheetrocked and crack-filled the gable wall goes straight up and completely separates the garage from the house.We definitely wanted this done also because of the risks of asphyxiation from car fumes.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 04:54 AM
    COACH78 , no, don't build a wall. And no one here has mentioned the fact that with the venting of the attic being on both ends, you can not build a wall between the garage and house because you need the ventilation to give a longer life to your shingles. And to let the house "breathe". If anything, add more insulation to the attic section of the house.

Aug 19, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Okfirst of all! The access to the garage needs to be in the garage ceiling,either a drop down stairs or just a small access. The access need to be firerated, The wall up in the attic needs to be framed up and insulated compeletly, however I mentioned an access in the wall which is fine but you do need to have a access door there , that is solid core and has weather striping on it, that's my fault for not getting into more detail.
    As for ventalation, most likely you will already have a gable vent as it is right now, you probably have ridge vents and sofet vents, this is pleantly of ventilation for the garage,
    You don't not have to have venting on both sides.

Aug 19, 2007, 05:42 AM
    So I guess its OK for them to die from car fumes as long as the roof can breathe.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Any attached garage for the purpose of storing a vehicle needs to be completely separated from the living portion of the dwelling with a solid barrier of 1-2 hour fire rated material. This may be as simple as one layer of 5/8" fire rated sheetrock. This is to prevent or slow down the spread of fire that begins in the garage to the livable portion of the dwelling.

If building this separation would block the one end of venting the attic needs, additional methods of venting will need to be added to vent the attic properly. This can be eave venting, roof penetration vents, or a peak vent.

A certain amount of square inch of venting is needed for a certain amount of square foot area of attic. Best to check with your local building code enforcement to learn what code they enforce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardware detection when nothing is attached. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my computer is detecting a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible). The thing is the only thing connected to my computer through VGA connection is my monitor. I tried uninstalling is and restarted my computer and it still detects it somehow. I recently found a trojan and got rid of that. (it had...

Not closely attached [ 2 Answers ]

I wrote in about my husband looking online at dating sites, talking to ex-girlfriend on phone, lying to me, calling singles chatline... I forgot to add something important--my husband says because of the way he was raised, he doesn't bond very well with people in general, and unfortunately I am...

Insulated sheathing boards [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had any experience with the polyisocyanurate foam sheathing boards ? I'm considering using one of the R4 rated .6" boards over a standard rigid wafer type sheathing before attach the fiber cement planked siding. Would a exterior wrap such as Permawrap also be helpful ? Can a wavy effect...

Not getting attached [ 2 Answers ]

I've been seeing this girl for a little while now, its nothing serious but I think I mite be starting to have feelings for her. We both just got out of long relationships. Anyway the other day she told me that she didn't want a boyfirend and wanted to keep things the way they are with us right now,...

Min. Daschund is too attached [ 2 Answers ]

I can't seem to get my min. daschund to stop following me. He is 3 months, and every time I sit down he crawls in my lap. He also crys very loudly when I leave him (whether it's alone or with someone else). I have only had him for two days, and I don't understand how he can be this attached in such...

View more questions Search