Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deliticket Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 04:33 AM
    Squeaky floors
    I am putting in a new laminate floor and wonder if this will stop any squeaks I have in the floor now? Do the existing squeaks have to be repaired BEFORE the new floor is put in?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 8, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Yep, repair the squeaks now, they will diminish with the new floor but won't go away. What is your current flooring material and sub floor?

Aug 9, 2007, 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Yep, repair the squeaks now, they will diminish with the new floor but won't go away. What is your current flooring material and sub floor?
    From deliticket: The sub floor is Douglas Fir over plywood.

Aug 9, 2007, 03:29 AM
    From deliticket: The sub floor is Douglas Fir over plywood.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 06:00 AM
    I wound screw the Douglas down with screws that are 1.5" longer than the thickness of the fir and plywood. If you really want to do this right there should be a screw every 8" in all directions. It will not squeak any more. Go to the home center and find the Hardobacker subflooring material. They have self tapping underlayment screws, square drive, that I have found to be great for your application.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
    If Possible You Should Try And Find The Floor Joist And Use Screws No Nails.
    If You Have Access To Under The Floor Just Drill A Hole From Underneath Beside A Joist, They Should Be Every 16 On Center.
    This Will Stop The Squeaks If Its Coming From The Subfloor, If It Is The Douglas Fur Floor Squeaking Then A 2 1/2 Screw Will Work Fine, And 8" As Said By Ballengerb1 Is A Good Place To Start

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardwood Floors [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone here has installed a Hardwood Floor over concrete ? I have done them over wood, but never over concrete and I am looking for any inout/experience on this matter. Thanks

Hardwood Floors [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have carpet installed in all of my rooms except the kitchen. I know that we have hardwood floors under the carpet. I would like to convert to hardwood floors. Could you tell me the procedure for sanding and refinishing hardwood floors? In addition, an area of my den floor is warped...

Heated floors [ 1 Answers ]

Have gutted my bathroom, would like to lose the steam radiator. Who knows if heated floors would keep room warm? What other options do I have now that room is completely gutted. Plan on using tile for the floor

Refinishing floors [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to refinish some stairs. I was planning on using polyurathane. I have been told that the water based version is better. Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of both.

Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??

View more questions Search