Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1_penelope Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 11:22 PM
    Generator Malfunction
    I recently inherited a Honda EX1000 portable generator. I got it running quite well after cleaning out the carb. However I just discovered that it's outputting way more voltage then it should be (good thing I only burned out a light bulb).

The measured voltage across the main outlet is approx. 217V. It should be 110V. This small generator doesn't even have a 220V option. Does anyone know which component is failing (condenser, rectifier, windings, Tr/Mg UNIT). And is this easily fixed?

Thanks,
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 05:19 PM
    I Would Probably Check For Naked Wires. If You Had Two Wires Carrying 119volts Touching Each Other, That Could Be The Problem.
    1_penelope Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 11:27 AM
    I thought the same thing. Since Honda sold this generator to the international market also, perhaps there is another winding or component that can make the generator produce 220V @ 50 Hz (and somehow it was switched). But after further testing I'm convinced this isn't the case.

Today I started it up again, and measured 280V across the leads. So whatever is failing isn't finished. Of course this is with no load, but 280V eliminates the 110 X 2 theory.

The 12V DC output measured around 28V. And the 6V running pilot bulb (which is now burned out) measured about 14V.

Wires and connectors appear to be in good condion.
    If the windings were failing they'd be doing one of the following

- shorting against each other (this wouldn't cause a voltage increase)
    - broke or "open circuit" somewhere (this would stop the magnetic field and produce 0V)
    - or the windings have worked themselves loose, and are vibrating against each other (uncertain result, but not a huge voltage increase).

If the windings are bad then I may as well part the generator, but I'm not convinced this is the case. I'm hoping the windings are OK (since power is still being produced) and that a replaceable component is causing the prob.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Sounds like the voltage regulator may be malfunctioning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan malfunction [ 9 Answers ]

I had a Casa Vieja Probe II ceiling fan (w/light; no pullchain) installed about two years ago. It has a wireless remote for fan and light operation, and when I had it installed the electrician connected it to a wall switch so I could also turn it on/off at that location without using the remote....

My PC malfunction [ 2 Answers ]

Why is it that when I use my PC my computer says vga no signal?? Wats does vga mean?? :confused:

Furnace malfunction [ 8 Answers ]

I have an old (14 years ?) York Stellar furnace that used to have this problem sometimes. When the gas was released over the red glowing electric igniter, it would ignite with a more or less loud pop that would also kill the flames. Then it would go again through the whole sequence and everything...

Furnace malfunction [ 2 Answers ]

Why would my furnace kick off and say limited cycle on the code ?on a coleman evcon

Southwind V Malfunction [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a Southwind V approximately 2.5 years ago and about one month ago the whole fan/light system stopped working. It does not work with the wall switch or remote control. I checked the electrical panel and the wiring to the fan and everything seems okay there. What else can I do? Yvonne...

View more questions Search