Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 01:14 PM
    SSN benefit
    I have a question here:

Say...

There is a couple, the husband is the only one that has been working, his wife never works...

After he passed away, will his wife get the SSN benefit? If so, what is the requirements for her to be able to get the SSN benefit-I am asking like does she have to be a US citizen? What if she is only a permanent resident?

P.S. The husband of course paid TONS of thousand to the IRS before he died. Just like us:p
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Yes - it's called "survivor's benefits." A surviving spouse can start collecting full benefits at his/her retirement age (between 65 and 67, depending on the year he/she was born), or a reduced amount per month as early as at age 60, or earlier if disabled. See the following for details:

Social Security Online - Widows, Widowers & Other Survivors - Qualify and Apply

As for non-citizes receiving SS benefits - yes, as long as the person resides in US legally. See:

Answer
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Thank you Ebaines!

Do you think it's possible for her to go receive SSN benefits from both countries?

The previous one-her home country where she worked, and paid for the SSN.

This one- in US, collect benefit after her husband's death.

Thanks again.:)
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 01:35 PM
    I have no idea about the rules for pensions from other countries. But as already noted, as long as she resides in the US legally, and her husband paid into the US social secutity system (and reached the minimum number of quarters to be due a benefit upon retirement), then yes, she can collect SS benefits from the US.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Only one's spouse can collect it? Right?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Yes, only the surviving spouse can receive it. However, it is not common that the survivor receives 100% of the benefits of the deceased. My father (72) passed away 2 months ago and when my mother (70) filed for survivor's benefits she was only awarded 2/3 of what he was receiving.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
    There are provisions for dependent's benefits. Also I believe she could collect from both. I don't think US SS has an offset for other countries.
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Other dependents may be eligible. From the web site I sent you earlier (didn't you read it?):

Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to:

• A widow or widower -- full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
    • A disabled widow or widower -- as early as age 50
    • A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits
    • Unmarried children under 18, or up to age 19 if they are attending high school full time. Under certain circumstances, benefits can be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren, or adopted children.
    • Children at any age who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.
    • Dependent parents age 62 or older
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Other dependents may be eligible. From the web site I sent you earlier (didn't you read it?):

Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to:

• A widow or widower -- full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
    • A disabled widow or widower -- as early as age 50
    • A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits
    • Unmarried children under 18, or up to age 19 if they are attending high school full time. Under certain circumstances, benefits can be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren, or adopted children.
    • Children at any age who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.
    • Dependent parents age 62 or older
    Yep, I just saw that too, thanks.:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Sorry, I missed the dependent part. My bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tacky benefit? [ 4 Answers ]

My cousin's wife has a sister who's husband died of a degerative element in his blood that caused him many health problems, including a blood hemorage in his brain that is what ultimately killed him some 9 or 10 years ago. They had a grown daughter at the time and a younger one that is now 14 or 15...

Social Benefit entitlement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi People. I would like any information with regards to social security entitlement. I am not currently working and not on any form of benefit at present, but have just found out I am about 4 weeks pregnant. I recently bought my home out right (no mortgage) and have practically run out of my own...

Pension benefit garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

An answer on this site says that social security benefits cannot be garnished. Question: does this answer also apply to employer pension plan benefits?

Benefit entitlement [ 1 Answers ]

Q 1. are you entitled to any benefits or pensions after being bankrupt? Q 2.can you open a basic bank account after being bankrupt? Q 3. are all the debts cleared after being bankrupt even if the debts are extremely high altogether? Would you be allowed to use a family members bank account...

View more questions Search