Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Still big
    Hi there,

I always wonder... why some people go to gym working out all the time, eating very healthy, but they are still fat?

A friend of mine(28 yr old lady) have done all these for the past 5 years, but she is still looking the same as before. 5'7 185pt. She wasn't fat when she was a teenager at all.

She is very depressed, and I am speechless.

Anyone please help my friend!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 08:53 AM
    A lot of times its genetics, doing the wrong exercises for their body type or eating the wrong foods. Some people have slow metabolisms and they have to do more exercise then they do to lose weight.

For me I have to be very strict about what I eat and exercise really hard nearly three hours a day if I want to lose weight. Everyone is different.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 08:56 AM
    It is possible that she may have a medical condition that has not yet been diagnosed, such as a thyroid problem. Could she be diabetic?

These are factors also.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Thank you Glinda and J_9!

I'll ask her if there is any medical condition she has? Don't want to hurt her, hard to ask about this...

Do you think that is because she gave birth to her boy?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 09:05 AM
    How long ago was that?

It can be very hard for some women to lose weight after birth.

She may not even know she has a medical condition, i.e. thyroid has very few symptoms.

She also may not be eating properly.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 12:18 PM
    She eats very properly, she did give a birth about 5-6 years ago.
    That's problly another reason, why woman gain so much weight after giving birth?
    Any way that would assist her lose some wieght?
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Tell her to get her thyroid checked it causes lots of problems. If she ever says anything I would ask her if she's had it checked. J9 is totally right. I have a thyroid problem and it makes it super hard to lose weight.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Okay, will do. Thank you Glinda.:)
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Aug 9, 2007, 01:19 PM
    This could be a very complex issue, or it could end up being very simple.

You're welcome for the insight ;P

The basic rule of thumb for fitness is that working hard is MUCH LESS important than working smart.

That doesn't mean we don't have to work hard... what it means is that working hard WITHOUT working smart will usually lead directly to injury, boredom, and lack of results. Which usually leads to giving up.

I have a great deal of respect for Phil Kaplan, so I recommend you have your friend check out his website. I also enjoy Juan Carlos Santana's body of work. Check them both out :)

Aug 10, 2007, 04:20 PM
    My pleasure :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocasean
    This could be a very complex issue, or it could end up being very simple.

You're welcome for the insight ;P

The basic rule of thumb for fitness is that working hard is MUCH LESS important than working smart.

That doesn't mean we don't have to work hard.....what it means is that working hard WITHOUT working smart will usually lead directly to injury, boredom, and lack of results. Which usually leads to giving up.

I have a great deal of respect for Phil Kaplan, so I recommend you have your friend check out his website. I also enjoy Juan Carlos Santana's body of work. Check em both out :)
    That's very true. I remember I used to do the stair master and the eliptical every day for 30-45 minutes each and never lost a pound. Then a friend said to me maybe you are using the wrong equipment. Once I started running and walking I began to see a difference. Sometimes your body just responds better another type of exercise.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 10, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Maybe they have a slow metabolism. If she keeps going with a strict diet and exercises regularly she will probably raise her metabolism, increasing her weight loss.

Aug 10, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Sometimes your body just responds better another type of exercise.
    You're absolutely right. The human body adapts, which is exactly what we want it to do. It's what we call "training effect."

The thing is, though, that the human body adapts almost absolutely, but we as exercisers don't adapt our workouts with it. Bodybuilders adapt their workouts, calling them "cycles" but you rarely see it from casual exercisers. But even with cardio exersise, the body will adapt, so it's up to us to break our state and shock the body in new ways.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Thank you Bocasean and Glinda, you have given great insight and I think that is going to help her more than I could.
    Bocasean, are you a trainer?

Aug 10, 2007, 07:40 PM
    I was certified while I was in college... but this was back when the Spice Girls were still cool. Haha

I actually became discouraged with the field because of all the misinformation and nonsense that is peddled as "fact." It became very difficult to help people because their brains were overloaded with garbage and I guess I'm not as patient a teacher as I'd like to be :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DAEWOO 1.5i big big problems [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1994 daewoo 1.5i and recently for quite some time now when I drive about half an hour it splutters and chokes and cut's out. IT IS multi-point fuel injected. Do not know why it is doing this PLEASE HELP!! Add me on msn if you know why [email protected]

In a big, BIG hole. Have small shovel. [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served papers for a debt that I owe on a vehicle that was repo'ed. The vehicle, which was a 2005 Lotus Elise was purchased by myself and a company (the company did not have sufficient credit to purchase the car and I did not have the income to purchase the car, but together we were...

A big big big problem. [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. this one is weird. When I insert a cd in my cd-rom it reads it but it doesn't updates it. Not this is not a big problem but when I insert a writable cd and click on write these new files to this cd, I get the error that there is no cd in the cd-rom. Then I restart my operating system with the...

Get big [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best lifts to do if I want to get big and get cut up at the same time? I work out on a bowflex and do powerlifts with free weights>

View more questions Search