Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afcinc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Getting air (hot or cold) to cape cod attic
    Our house was built in 1952. We had a Fredrick oil furnace. It was replaced with a Lennox Low Boy oil furnace and an air conditioning system. With the Fredrick we had airflow to the attic bedroom of our small (900 sq foot) cape cod style house. The AC contractor has cranked up the fan to high speed, installed an air scoop in the duct which goes to the attic, and put in a 12 inch by 6 inch air return in the hallway on the first floor. All with no success. The duct going to the attic is round stove pipe. There is no return air duct from the attic back to the basement air box. The stairs leading to the attic are not closed off with door so it is the air return. All ducts were professionally vacuumed out and no duct closures (ie.e. crushed ducts) were found.

The heating and cooling contractor says we need all new ducts (supply and return) or $600 to install a booster fan on the stove pipe leading to the attic.

Why can't we get airflow to the attic?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
    You need to install a return air near the top of the attic bedroom space. You have to pull the hot ceiling air out so it can be replaced by cooler air.

Aug 7, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    You need to install a return air near the top of the attic bedroom space. You have to pull the hot ceiling air out so it can be replaced by cooler air.

This makes sense for summer but in winter wouldn't the open stairway to the attic with the return in the hallway act as a return to pull air from the attic space? In winter would it not pull the colder air out of the attice to make room for the hotter air coming up? The problem is that there is zero airflow coming out of the registers with the "new and improved" Lennox (piece of junk) heating system. If the Fredrick could move the air there is absolutely no excuse why the Lennox unit cannot do the same. Was the Fredirick just plain a better unit than the "new" Lennox model?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 12:33 PM
    An air mover is an air mover, if they both are rated the same then it boils down to the installation, something has been changed in the process of replacement, I would look at the duct going to the attic room , something is wrong here.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Cold air falls,hot air rises. Naturally. This is why I said you need a direct return upstairs for A/C

Aug 7, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Cold air falls,hot air rises. Naturally. This is why I said you need a direct return upstairs for A/C

I understand the physics of airflow but in winter wouldn't the open stairway to the attic with the return in the hallway act as a return to pull air from the attic space? The colder air would fall in the attic as hot air moves in and the return in the hallway downstairs would suck the cold, falling air down the stairs.

I still think the blower on the "newer" Lennox is not as strong as the old Fredrich blower but I cannot get anyone to agree with me. Any old timers old there who used to service the Fredrich units?
    BadgerRadiantMN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afcinc
    Our house was built in 1952. We had a Fredrick oil furnace. It was replaced with a Lennox Low Boy oil furnace and an air conditioning system. With the Fredrick we had airflow to the attic bedroom of our small (900 sq foot) cape cod style house. The AC contractor has cranked up the fan to high speed, installed an air scoop in the duct which goes to the attic, and put in a 12 inch by 6 inch air return in the hallway on the first floor. All with no success. The duct going to the attic is round stove pipe. There is no return air duct from the attic back to the basement air box. The stairs leading to the attic are not closed off with door so it is the air return. All ducts were professionally vacuumed out and no duct closures (ie.e. crushed ducts) were found.

The heating and cooling contractor says we need all new ducts (supply and return) or $600 to install a booster fan on the stove pipe leading to the attic.

Why can't we get airflow to the attic?
    Ask for separate zones and isolate the attic with a closed door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

Insulating Cape Cod Style House Attic/Crawl Space [ 3 Answers ]

The house has a Cape Cod roof without any gables in the bedrooms. There are two bedrooms and a bath on the top floor in the back half of the house. The roof angles (45 degrees) down to the front of the house just above the middle floor. In front of each of the bedrooms, there is a crawl space...

Furnace hot, air cold [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 years old furnace that has stopped putting out heat. The furnace in the attic is on and there is heat. The exhaust pipe, if that's what it's called, is hot and I can hear the flames. However, the air blowing out of the vents is between cool and warm. I have had the thermostat...

Can't get furnace to blow hot/cold air! [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I recently moved into a house & I can barely tell that any air is coming out. I have just paid to have all the ducts cleaned. Please help me figure this out.

View more questions Search