Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nina71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 12:59 AM
    What do you do when a father abandons their child?
    In 1996 my husband abandoned my son and I and I divorced him in absentia. I have been remarried now for 10 years. Since my exhusband was a fugative of the law no child support order was ever put into place. I recently found out where he was. He has never paid a cent in childsupport or even called us. He was found guilty of trying to kill me when I was 29 weeks pregnant causing our son to be born 11 weeks premature and having brain damage. His medical bills have totalled in the millions. He went to prison and was let out on work release where he escaped but the county we were living in at the time never put a warrant out for him. How can I press child abandonment charges against this man since I now know where he is and he is a very bad man. Please help! This man caused my son who is now 14 to be a quadriplegic and he's roaming free and has never help support in any way his son. My husband has been his father and is going to adopt him. I want to press child abandonment charges on my ex and I live in California. He abandoned us in Indiana. My ex is now living in Oklahoma. Where to I start?
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Aug 7, 2007, 01:12 AM
    Plain and simple, with a very good lawyer. No advice here will get you anything. You will have to have a lawyer for everything you are attempting and the only true place you should be starting. Your situation is complicated to say the least and also could potentially be very dangerous for you/son. To file anything you will have to serve your ex thereby giving him access to you and your location, I would be very careful and seek a lawyer. Good luck!
    lagranoui Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 12:02 PM

Your son deserves someone who wants to be a part of his life the only thing that finding him and charging him would do is make you vonerable. Personally opioion of course

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Father child [ 3 Answers ]

Can a father legally bring his child to his side of the family to visit or for family reuions, or just to have a place to watch his daughter away from a stressful and hostile environment for a few hours a day, without getting in trouble by the law. He has never been allowed to bring his 7 month...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

A father abandons his children [ 4 Answers ]

We have been separated 8 months, he hasn't seen the kids (4) ages 8,6,5,3 in over 6 months we had a custody hearing in sept and he still hasn't seen them after attempting to get joint custody which he did not. I have no idea where he is, now is taking me back for a decrease in child support he only...

View more questions Search