Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sfoote Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 07:28 AM
    Bathroom Rough in
    I am in the process of putting a half bath in the basement. There is a white PVC pipe that is capped flush with the floor. I am hoping this is the rough in for a toilet. Is there anything else this might be. The cap is a screw in type and has sewer cleanout printed on it by the manufacturer. As of yet I have not removed it. The cap is approx 13" from the wall.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Scott
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2005, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sfoote
    I am in the process of putting a half bath in the basement. There is a white PVC pipe that is capped flush with the floor. I am hoping this is the rough in for a toilet. Is there anything else this might be. The cap is a screw in type and has sewer cleanout printed on it by the manufacturer. As of yet I have not removed it. The cap is approx 13" from the wall.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Scott
    Hi Scott,

This isn't a toilet rough in. It's exactly what it says it is. A clean out. However, the distance is about right so You might set a toilet directly over the opening without tearing up any floors. All a closet flange does is secure the bowl to the floor, nothing more. In the old days we didn't use flanges. You could do this. Set the bowl directly down over the opening and mark the holes. Remove the bowl and drill 1/4" holes in the cement with a masonry bit.
    Use plastic inserts and screw type closet bolts or screws and washers to secure the bowl. Also use a wax seal with a funnel for a seal. This is how we used to set toilets in the old days. Cheers, Tom
    sfoote Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 02:20 PM
    Thanks for the advise. I did find a toilet flange that fits the pipe in the floor. It uses a tapered connection and a rubber seal that moves up the taper to snug fit the pipe with the flange extension.

This clean-out is white PVC while all the other PVC in my house is black, is there any reason for this. My main concern when posting the first time was where this pipe leads to.

Scott

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in bathroom rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I have a bathroom on the ground floor. For the past week it has had an oder of a skunk! We use that bathroom for storage of boxes, we are assured nothing is dead in there, we cleaned everything out and it still stinks. The pipes in the ground don't seem loose. Can this smell be coming from the...

Basement bathroom rough-in [ 5 Answers ]

Our house is 3years old and in the basement there are three rough-ins, one is definitely the toilet and one is in the area of the tub(pvc sticking up about a foot and gravel around it)and the third is left side of the toilet... do all three of these need to be vented, or can I join the two 2"...

Bathroom rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for he opportunity to get help from experts through this forum. I have a two year old house with a basement rough in that consists of a 4 inch pipe about 16 inched from the wall. There is also a smaller pipe about 4 feet away that is supposed to be used for the sink. Running up the...

Basement Bathroom - NO ROUGH IN [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are finishing our basement and the previous owners didn't fork up the money for a rough in. We're only putting in a toilet and sink. The house is only 5 year old. My questions are: "What are our options for putting in a toilet? Do we have to break up the concrete? What is...

Basement bathroom rough ins [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of developing my basement. There is no rough-in for bathrooms. I'm putting an ensuite attached to a room with a shower, vanity and toilet. Backing on to this bathroom is another 1/2 bathroom with toilet and sink. There was no future vent put in when the house was built making...

View more questions Search