Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Aug 11, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Hot Water recirculating pump
    Howdy again,

The hot water takes a long time to heat up due to the length of run from the water heater. So...

Would installing a recirculating pump be a good idea?

I have seen a type which connects the hot and cold and pushed the water from the hot side to the cold until it gets warm enough. Any body have any thoughts?

Ideally, I would have loved to install a run from the farthest hot point back to the water heater and then connect that to the cold water inlet on the water heater. This would allow convcection to works it magic. Alas, there is no easy way to do that. However, if it makes more sense to do it that way, I suppose I could figure out a way to make it happen. ( I can just hear myself telling the boss: "Honestly honey, all we have to do is paint it and you will barely notice the pipe running across the ceiling"! )

Thanks in advance for you help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2005, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dherman1
    Howdy again,

The hot water takes a long time to heat up due to the length of run from the water heater. So...

Would installing a recirculating pump be a good idea?

I have seen a type which connects the hot and cold and pushed the water from the hot side to the cold until it gets warm enough. Any body have any thoughts?

Ideally, I would have loved to install a run from the farthest hot point back to the water heater and then connect that to the cold water inlet on the water heater. This would allow convcection to works it magic. Alas, there is no easy way to do that. However, if it makes more sense to do it that way, I suppose I could figure out a way to make it happen. ( I can just hear myself telling the boss: "Honestly honey, all we have to do is paint it and you will barely notice the pipe running across the ceiling"!!)

Thanks in advance for you help.

"I have seen a type which connects the hot and cold and pushed the water from the hot side to the cold until it gets warm enough. Any body have any thoughts?"

Show me! I can't see how preheating the cold water would get hot water out to the farthest fixture. And I don't quite trust convection. The only sure way that I know of to get instant hot water to a distant master bath is to;
    (1) Install a instant on demand heater in the master bath.
    (2) Install a in line "kicker heater" on the branch hot water feed or,
    (3) Run a line from the farthest branch back to a circulating pump
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Aug 11, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Cold water return type system.
    Hi Speedball

The type I am referring to is what's known as a cold water return type system.

Here is a link that describes the system.

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/cwrcs.htm

This is from another link: (http://www.redytemp.com/)
    How does the water get hot?
    The RedyTemp has an extremely sensitive and accurate temperature probe imbedded into it's patented manifold. When the water in the hot water line cools below the homeowners temperature setpoint, a highly efficient pump begins to pump the cool water out of the hot water line and pumps it into the cold water line. Once the water in the hot water line is at the homeowner set comfort set point, the pumping stops. Hence, the homeowner never waits for hot water at their faucets or showers during the scheduled operating times set by the homeowner
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dherman1
    Hi Speedball

The type I am referring to is what's known as a cold water return type system.

Here is a link that describes the system.

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/cwrcs.htm

This is from another link: (http://www.redytemp.com/)
    How does the water get hot?
    The RedyTemp has an extremely sensitive and accurate temperature probe imbedded into it's patented manifold. When the water in the hot water line cools below the homeowners temperature setpoint, a highly efficient pump begins to pump the cool water out of the hot water line and pumps it into the cold water line. Once the water in the hot water line is at the homeowner set comfort set point, the pumping stops. Hence, the homeowner never waits for hot water at their faucets or showers during the scheduled operating times set by the homeowner

OK, I'm familiar with these systems. I thought this was some type of heat exchange at the heater itself. Take a good look at the diagram. The main complaint I get from a cold water return system is that the cold water is no longer cold water. It's "tempered" water. You're putting hot water in the cold water line so you won't have cold water you'll have tepid water. Regards, Tom
    1DIYMOM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 02:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    you're putting hot water in the cold water line so you won't have cold water you'll have tepid water. regards, Tom
    Not exactly, a good system "does not" put hot water into the cold line. It would stop pumping before that would happen. Homes act differently in the way they can absorb thermal heat, i.e. cold environment vs hot environment, copper pipes vs pvc, insulated vs non-insulated pipes. They don't all absorb or maintain temperatures the same. That is why adjustable temperature control is important as we discovered after trying different systems in our home, Washington state. With the adjustable temperature control on our redytemp pump we can select just the right temperature that works best for our home. In their installation material it told us that we should make adjustments in temperature until we get no more then 2-3 seconds of warmish water at the sink where we installed the redytemp. Other sinks down the line back to the water heater are always cooler then at the redytemp sink. We found that units which used a pipe clip-on temperature measuring device was not very good at keeping the right temperature in the pipe like ours which actually contacts the water for measurements. The difference was noticeable enough that we stuck with the redytemp and have been please with it for 4 years now.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Thank you very much for the link and the explanation. I've saved your link to disc and put it in my data base and, with your permission, will use it in my answers. Thanks again, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Water pump [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me the procedure for changing out a water pump in a 1992 honda accord.

3-way water pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have been told that my central air conditioning unit needs a new Honeywell 3-way water pump. The technician who evaluated my unit has rigged it so that the valve is now open all the time and I am able to have ac. This was a temporary measure until he could return with the new valve. He has...

Well water pump [ 2 Answers ]

My well water pump is not working. I think it lost it's prime because I tapped the tank and it sounds hollow. How do I prime the pump?

AC Water Pump not sending water through tubing [ 1 Answers ]

My house is a ranch house with no basement. We have a forced air/central air conditioning system. There is a pump that is suppose to pump the water through a plastic tubing in to our laundry tub. The water does have to go up to the ceiling of the room and across a wall and then down into our...

View more questions Search