Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Aug 6, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Questions about belly button, eyebrow, nose and tongue piercings!
    OK, I'm not sure where to ask this exactly, so I thought at least someone who reads this may be able to relate.

I really want to get my bellybutton pierced, but I do want to know the precautions, what could go wrong, could it seriously affect my health if something were to happen, and the whole dilema.

I have heard that if you get your bellybutton pierced when your fat, then if you lose wight there is this HUGE hole.and vice versa.

Actually, there are more places I have been thinking about getting pierced.

But besides the ears, I think the main places I'm thinking about getting pierced are my bellybutton and my eyebrow.but there are risks.but the first one I would like to get done is my belly button, because there are A lot of nerves near my eyes and I wear contacts so that may be more... difficult.

I was also thinking about my nose and tongue, but I think it would bug me with the stud in my tongue, and I know my family would have a fit, so I might just wait until I graduate when I'm living on my own for my tongue.
    But for the nose... I don't know.I have been reading about the whole nose piercing thing and there are things that sound kindof threatening.

Well, if anyone has the following

1.BElly button pierced
    2.eyebrow pierced
    3.nose pierced
    4.tongue pierced

I would love to know ANYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT ANY OF THOSE.so if you kow anything please please tell me.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
    I have had my eyebrow and my nose, and currently have my tongue pierced. I don't have my bellybutton yet because my tummy isn't quite where I want it to be after pregnancy. It wouldn't be that cute :p

But, as for your bellybutton, your weight has nothing to do with how big the hole is. I have known women that had their bellybutton pierced, got pregnant, and after the baby was born their belly ring hole looked fine. Belly button piercings can take up to a year or a year and a half to completely heal.

Now for the piercings I have had. As far as the eyebrow ring, it didn't hurt me one bit. I am not sure about the contact situation, you would have to ask a licensed piercer about that. Your eyebrow ring could take 6-8 weeks to heal.

The nose piercing. I don't care how high of a tolerance for pain you have, the nose piercing will bring a tear to your eye. Not always because it hurts, but because it is so close to your tear duct that it actually triggers a tear. Depending on the placement of the piercing, it could take 3-12 months for this piercing to fully heal.

Now as for the tongue ring, my personal favorite. This didn't hurt me personally, but I have a high tolerance for pain. After you get the piercing, you will more than likely experience extreme swelling for 3-7 days. During this swelling period, eat a lot of ice and take ibuprofen for any pain. This piercing can take 4-6 weeks to fully heal. During the healing period, make sure you wash your mouth out with alcohol free mouthwash.

Aftercare of piercings usually goes as follows, but almost every piercer has their own different guidelines : Clean the piercing with antibacterial soap twice a day for the first week or two. After that, reduce cleaning to once a day. Overcleaning can cause irritation to the piercing. During cleaning, rotate the barbell/stud ONCE, not more than once. Any time you touch the piercing, make sure you wash your hands first with antibacterial soap. Other than rotating it, don't touch the piercing. The piercer may offer you a saline solution to buy from them, such as h2ocean. I would not recommend putting any kind of saline solution or salt on the piercing, it could dry out the piercing and cause irritation.

As for picking a shop, pick one that has a good reputation with others. If you walk into a shop and everything is already laid out and ready to go, walk out. You have to make sure you watch him open each individual package, wash his hands, and put gloves on. If you do not see any of this, leave.

The night before, take some Ibuprofen before bed, and take some again about an hour before getting the piercing. This will reduce pain. Also before getting any piercing, make sure you eat a good meal, and stay hydrated!

Remember that with any piercing there is the possibility of infection. Signs of this can include the surface of the piercing being extremely red, swollen beyond belief, and a yellow or greenish discharge that does not smell very good. If you experience any of these, see a doctor for some antibiotics.

Enjoy your piercings! :)
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Aug 6, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Sometimes depending on your skin your skin can keloid... that isn't very good... but with me I got my belly pierced when I was maybe 16 and I had a flat tummy but then when I got pregnant I took it out and now still like 3yrs after I got it pierced I have an ugly whole I don't know if it has anything to do with the weight gain but now the whole looks ugly... Just make sure whatever you do don't do it yourself and when you go somewhere make sure they are using a new needle... Make sure you take care of it daily b.c infection can be very dangerous... I've seen some ugly scars with the eyebrow getting riped out... I don't know how true this is but I also heard that if you don't get it pierced on the right spot your skin will eventually push it out and that it would fall out... dunno look into it... I loved piercings they are so addictive for me lol good luck...
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 10:44 PM
    The biggest cause of eyebrow rings getting ripped out is when you take your shirt off, your shirt could get caught on it. If you do choose this piercing, be careful when changing your shirt.

Eljay is correct about scarring. But like I stated to you before, avoid irritation (overcleaning, playing with it, etc.) and this will reduce your chance of this scarring. Only touch it when it needs to be touched. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eljay1103
    but with me I got my belly pierced when I was maybe 16 and i had a flat tummy but then when I got pregnant I took it out and now still like 3yrs after I got it pierced I have an ugly whole I dont know if it has anything to do with the weight gain but now the whole looks ugly
    Do you still have jewelry in the hole? Or are you trying to let it close up and its not doing very well?
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 6, 2007, 10:50 PM
    I saw in another post that you are not even 14. I myself, and I bet many others find it unattracting to have things on your face, (Nose, Eyebrow, lip, etc... ). Why put holes in your body? I would understand earings, but I don't know, just be happy with how you look, no need to go stab holes into yourself, especially if your having doubts.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    I saw in another post that you are not even 14. I myself, and i bet many others find it unattracting to have things on your face, (Nose, Eyebrow, lip, etc....). Why put holes in your body? I would understand earings, but idk, just be happy with how you look, no need to go stab holes into yourself, especially if your having doubts.
    For some people it is a form of expression and personality.

And to the OP, if you are 14 you have to have parental consent for any piercing. If you don't have parental consent, you don't get a piercing.

Aug 6, 2007, 10:57 PM
    No I don't have any jewelry in but its been like 2 yrs or more since I took it out... but I don't know it looks like the whole is still a little open like I can poke jewelry in but I won't even think about it until I loose the weight I want to loose but t looks like an open whole...
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:00 PM
    No I dont have any jewelry in but its been like 2 yrs or more since i took it out...but i dunno it looks like the whole is still a little open like I can poke jewelry in but I wont even think about it until i loose the weight I want to loose but t looks like an open whole...
    Wow it seems like it should have at least halfway healed by now. Maybe stretching is a factor. I have seen the belly piercings be okay after pregnancy, but I should be smart enough to know that everyone is not the same :p

Aug 6, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Its her body if that's what she wants to do then she'll live with the consiquences... and that's why I think she posted her question b.c she wanted to know about the piercings before she did it which was smart.. shes doing her research... If her parents don't aprove then she waits...
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Its her body if thats what she wants to do then she'll live with the consiquences....and thats why I think she posted her question b.c she wanted to know about the piercings before she did it which was smart..shes doing her research... If her parents dont aprove then she waits...
    Please tell me you are not talking to me. Sorry but when you don't use "quote user" it's a little confusing.
    allroadsleadtojamaica Posts: 60, Reputation: -1

Aug 6, 2007, 11:04 PM
    Omg! I'm getting my cartilage on my ear done this week. I'm wondering how it will feel too
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by allroadsleadtojamaica
    omg! im getting my cartilage on my ear done this week. im wondering how it will feel too
    Are you just getting a stud? Or are you getting an industrial, orbital, or something like that?

Aug 6, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Noooo Im not talking about you I was responding to the guy who was saying she's 14 blah blah blah
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:08 PM
    Noooo Im not talking about you I was responding to the guy who was saying shes 14 blah blah blah
    Oh okay. Sorry :p

I don't think people should be judged for having any kind of body art, whether it be piercings or tattoos. Like I told him, for some people it is a form of expression and personality. :)

What cartilage? Like the top of the ear or the little cartilage that sticks out in the inside?
    Ultra Member

What cartilage?? Like the top of the ear or the little cartilage that sticks out in the inside??
    Tragus

EDIT - Ok the part underneath where you would get a traditional cartilage piercing is called the Conch. The little "nub" at the opening of the ear is the Tragus. :)

Aug 6, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Oh okay. Sorry :p

I dont think people should be judged for having any kind of body art, whether it be piercings or tattoos. Like I told him, for some people it is a form of expression and personality. :)
    Yea I feel the same... people tell me all the time about the different piercings I've got done on my face... But I don't care its what I like and I say that's why its on my face and not yours...
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
    I had my belly button pierced when I was 13 years old (almost 7 years ago) and I had problems with it. Not everyone does, but I did because my body rejected the metal... and it wasn't pierced right. So I have a scar, but it's not too bad and nothing other than the scar has happened with it. I also got my tongue pierced almost 5 years ago... and I have had absolutely no problems at all with it... I absolutely love it. I can't stand it if I take it out... I start talking funny and eating without it in is just too weird! I haven't had any other piercings except for my ears, and to be honest... it hurt more to get my ears pierced than it did my belly or tongue. I think that's weird... anyway. There are some health concerns with any piercing you get, but you can find out what each and all of them are if you'll talk to a professional piercer. They're the best ones to talk to considering they're the ones who are shoving needles through your skin. Good luck!
    xxmissconfusedxx Posts: 121, Reputation: 5

Aug 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
    I had my nose pierced 3 time the first time it got infected then a while later I got it again and the studs kept falling out so I said nvm then the third time I just didn't want it anymore. I really didn't have any problems with besides the first year but I also didn't keep good care of it so I was younger and such

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly Button Piercings [ 17 Answers ]

Hi I'm 14 n I was wondering if anyone out there has any tips or a step process for a self piercing your belly button?

Tongue piercings [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, Does anyone if your tongue swells after you get it pierced. If so, does it affect your breathing ability. What should not be eaten in the first week or so of getting your tongue pierced? If someone would reply please do so.

Lots of questions about the belly button [ 10 Answers ]

Hey I know I've asked a lot but I'm scared of my belly button getting infected so is it OK if I covered my peirced belly button with a bandaid for like the whole healing prosses? And how long till it heals? And how do I know it healed? And some times I get stomach ache and I get sick is it because...

Scleroderms + belly button piercings [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a teenager and I have scleroderma. I want to get my belly button pierced and my mom said I could if my doc. Said it was okay. I wanted to talk to other people before I talked to him.. so can you get your belly button pierced if you have scleroderma?-thanx them

Belly Button Piercings [ 4 Answers ]

I got my belly button pierced on Friday. It has been really red and oozing a lot of puss, which I am told is normal. But today, it seems to be leaking a clear sitcky liquid, It looks like balls on the barbell are sinking into my stomach and actually creating a bigger hole. Should I take it out or...

View more questions Search