Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    templar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Bringing power to my workshop
    I have built a workshop in my backyard, and I'm trying to bring electricity to it. I have to use the attic to bring the wires to the back of the house. From the main panel to the shop we have around 90 feet or so. I was told to get a subpanel and to put it in the workshop. Now... I just want two circuits inside the shop, one to take care of the cooler, and the other for the power tools. All the tools don't require much amperage, and the one requiring the most is my table saw, rated at 18 amps. At any given time, only one tool will be at use. The questions... size of the wire to the subpanel, that has to travel around 90 feet... circuit braker size at the main panel... and the size of the wire going from the subpanel to the receptacles... I intend to have 4 in one line, and 2 on the other... A neighbor told me to get size 10 wire from the main panel to the subpanel in the workshop... to put a 30 amp braker in the main panel, and two 20 amp braker on the subpanel, and to use 12 size wire for the receptacles... any comments?. Thanks a lot for any advise
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 03:33 PM
    If money not to tough now, Maybe Use 1" conduit(The money is in the labor for trench)
    2 #6's, 1 #8, and #10 for ground, plus 2 travelers for switching light from either end. Small 60 amp, 4 circuit?
    Plus you could have a small Portabl AC, or Heater. Don't know anywhere it is nice all the time. Throw in 3/4 inch conduit for Cable/Sat, Phone, Alarm and Computer,?
    Doesn't get cheaper than now to throw in 3/4 PVC Conduit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running power to a detached workshop [ 1 Answers ]

With apologies for what might be a stupid question. I'm thinking or running power to my workshop (40 feet) and busy reading up on what is involved... I plan on doing the job myself as I'm a reasonably experienced handyman. I'm told I should run something like 8/3 2 feet underground although not...

Bringing up my GRE Score [ 2 Answers ]

Hey Ask Me, My scores are back and I need some restoration in the quantitative section any ideas? My verbal is 410 which is sufficient but my math is borderline 4th grade. Math has never been my strong subject but I need a little boast to make it into the Graduate Program at UofL. I've currently...

Bringing Indian Inheritance into US [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a share of my grandfathers property in India which was sold by mutual consent of the owners very recently. I intend transferring the proceeds to the US after paying Capital Gains Tax in India. How will this accrual of funds be viewed by the tax authorities in the US. I am a US born...

Bringing a lawsuit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question as to weather I could actually have a lawsuit against an person where I work, I am not sure under what kind of category it falls under as it is kind of weird. Also the people I work for kind of are afraid I will sue them which leads me to want to know. So.. about a year ago I...

Bringing a new puppy home [ 3 Answers ]

I bought an AKC chocolate lab last night brought her home tried to get her to go to the bathroom and she never did put her in the crate she sleep all night when I got up to go to work I took her outside and she still hasn't gone is this normal?

View more questions Search