Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shane0991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 01:40 PM
    AC fan runs slow, but switch to heat fan runs normal
    The other morning I came into the house and noticed the ac was not working. I turned off the breaker to the unit for a few minutes. Then turned it back on. Went to the thermostat pushed it over to auto and the fan came on but ran very slow. I them turned it off. Then turn on the heat, the fan came on a ran fine. Turn it back to cool, fan runs slow. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
    High speed portion of motor bad or bad capacitor , loose or burnt wiring.
    shane0991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Thanks acetc.

I had someone come out and look. He told me my coils were dirty and the motor was burned up. I told him to show me. The coils looked clean and the motor would spin free. So I called someone else. They came out and replaced the capacitor. Motor now seems to be spinning fine. However now the house will not cool below 76 and it just runs and runs unless I set the cut off temp higher. It will then run and turn off and back on. Even at the higher temp it take a long time to cool. Could something else have been damaged when the capacitor failed. I was away when it went out and am unsure if it keep trying to run.

Thanks
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
    If the fan motor was out for a long time you may have froze up the evaporator coil and it may still have ice on it, try turning on the heat for 15 minutes and if it had any ice on it ,it will melt off, the ice with out using heat to melt the ice will take hours to melt if it is thick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump AHU fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane Xe1000 heat pump. Recently I noticed that the fan keeps running continuously even when the outside unit turns off. It's as if the tstat fan switch is set to On (it's not) instead of Auto. I tried a few things: 1) In the tstat (weathertron) I disconnected the fan...

Outdoor fan on heat pump runs [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on an outdoor carrier unit won't turn off. Turned off at thermostate, tried everything, had to turn it off at the breaker. I am thinking maybe a relay is stuck. Is this a part I can pick up and replace myself or is it a different problem all together Thanks

Programmable Thermostat, Fan runs, Heat/Air do not run in Auto setting [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell, RTH230B. My connections are: R to Rh (red jumper to Rc that came with the unit) W to W Y to Y G to G B to nothing The fan comes on (when set to "on").

Water Heat Vent Fan runs constantly [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 75 Gallon Natural Gas State Select Water Heater. Model # PR675NRVTZ. It has a fan on top that vents the gas to the outside. Normally, this fan only runs when the water is being heated. Now, the fan runs constantly eben when the water is not being heated. I do not have the wiring diagram,...

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

View more questions Search