Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nlazzaro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 04:28 PM
    Pitbull pooping problem
    I have had my puppy for about 4months, when we got him he was 4 months. Every since we got him we have been trying to train him and it has been nothing but a problem. When we think he's got it we will come up and find poop in his cage. Is it to late to try and train him or is there something we can do. Every time when he does mess in his cage, we taken his out side and tell him it is supposed to go out side. Not this is getting a little old to us so we are now making him stay out side (for a while) when he messes in the house. Recently we have come across another problem. We put him in the cage at night (since he is still not trained) and he torn a whole in the carpet. And then 2 days later continued to rip the whole bigger. What is his puppys problem and what can we do to fix it.
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Aug 10, 2005, 05:29 PM
    Keep at it
    I am a pit bull owner and lover. They are a highly intellegent breed which also means that they are very stubborn and it takes a little more too train them. Even with good training, they will always challenge you. Right now, your pit bull is still in a very adolescent challanging stage. He is showing you that he is very upset about being kenneled. They love to be with their people. Try placing the kennel in the same room with you to sleep. And always provide him with a chewing outlet such as rawhides or rope. Something durable to a pitt bulls mighty jaw. As far as the potty training, it takes consistancy and I recommend treat rewards when he does it where you want. Take him out frequently, every hour, until he understands. Praise him when he does. A firm no! When you catch him in the act. Walking him will also be helpful to potty training. When my pit was in an apartment with me when I was younger, she didn't have a back yard, so in order to get her to poop and pee before I went to work, I walked her a few blocks before I left to stimulate her to go. If all else fails, most pet places, like petco and petsmart provide a low cost potty training class, $10-15. There are also videos. Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2005, 07:59 PM
    Rawhide kills. It is too easy for a dog to rip a piece off, swallow it, and then it swells either choking the dog or blocking its intestinal tract. Please do not give any dog rawhide ever. I base my advice not on the experience that any one person can have in a lifetime, but on the advice from a large dog guide school that supervised the care of thousands of dogs over their lifetime. They have long forbid all rawhide, and now ban ropes. If you love your dog, stick to sturdy stuff including Nylabones and Kongs.

The chewing can be solved by keeping the dog in the crate when you can't watch it. Accidents and damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy at the time. When you are watching it, immediately correct it as soon as it goes for anything except its own toys. In a quiet, but firm voice ''Bad dog, its name drop!''. Gently remove what ever and replace it with one of his toys, or if older, hold eye contact until the puppy drops it. Eye contact is very important in maintaining your position as top dog.
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

If it is having soft stools, restrict its diet to the same dry dog food and little else. Sudden changes of diet cause intestional upsets. If it continues to have loose stools, have the vet check it. No amount of training will fix a physical problem.

It sounds to me like the pooping in the crate is a form of protest if they are well formed stools likely he could have held. It is a very effective form of protest. Fortunately, it is summer time and you can haul the crate outside and hose it out. To otherwise reduce the mess, remove any bedding you have been using. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    Accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    Spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. The rack is more effective with urine, but stools will also push down through before making too much of a mess of the dog. When he sees that the pooping isn't working, he will decide to keep the crate clean.

Aug 13, 2005, 01:12 PM
    Varied opinions
    On a discussion board, you are asking for a strangers opinion. Some people think that their opinion is better than others. I gave you my best educated response. I have 5 personal pet dogs, one being a pit bull. I am a breeder and a foster/rescue home as well. By using good common sense and judgement, I have never had problems with rawhide chips or cotton ropes. I wouldn't advise giving a rawhide to a small puppy but all of my animals, from jack russel to cattle dog to pit bull enjoy them without incident. When giving a pet ANYTHING for the 1st time, I would advise you to monitor them. The only thing I am against using are the "pressed" dog chews that are similar to rawhides. They can break up and be sharp. And again, that is my experience and opinion. It is up to you to use your best judgement after reading the advice.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2005, 08:05 PM
    Rawhide does in fact kill. Fortunately, not often, but I have read pathetic reports from people whose dog died in their arms as they rushed to the vet. My personal vet has told me about repairing dogs' throats torn up by gulping down pieces of rawhide. In addition to that, I have a large dog guide school who has been monitoring thousands of dogs for decades, forbidding giving any of their dogs rawhide.

This isn't the first time I have upset some poorly informed, would be expert by pointing out their answer could kill a dog. I would rather not upset anybody, but am not going to let a tragedy happen to protect somebody's ego. LoveMyBooBooGirl, don't you think you should apologize for posting an answer that could kill somebody's dog, rather than attacking me?

Aug 13, 2005, 11:35 PM
    More than dogs who need obedience class
    I don't see anywhere that I attacked you. I simply stated the facts. This is a "discussion" board. People ask for opinions. I gave mine. It was I who was acctacked for giving my opinion. A pet could choke on a child's toy or a number of other things, including a rawhide. But as I stated I have no personal experience with a dog in my care doing so. I do however recall telling the poster to use their best judgement based on the information they gather and to monitor the use of any new toy or chew. I gave a fair statement. And I am not "poorly informed". I am well read and very much informed. If I held true everything I read I wouldn't even own a pit bull, now would I? I am intelligent enough to form my own opinion. And that is what this forum is all about, peoples opinion in an effort to help other people, nothing more. I don't know who told you the world revolved solely around your opinion. Or that it was okay to insult people when they are trying to help others but you were very misinformed. I would appreciate you keeping your smarmy words to yourself.
    Wishbone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2005, 01:49 PM
    I speak from "experience" please do not give a dog rawhide. I had to rush one of my dogs to the emergency clinic because a piece broke off and got caught. She could not breath. It took me 20 minutes to drive there cause my vet was closed. She almost died.

Aug 20, 2005, 10:09 PM
    Approved Treat
    Rawhides are an approved treat by the American Veteranarian Association. When common sense is applied, they are just as safe as any other treat. Part of common sense is monitoring how your pet handles the treat and making sure your pet is old enough and or large enough to handle such an item. It is an idividual decision, I am by no means "promoting" the treat, I am just not d*mning it. I have 1 jack russel, 1 pit bull and 3 Australian cattle dogs, all various ages and they all enjoy them without incident.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2005, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyBooBooGirl
    Rawhides are an approved treat by the American Veteranarian Association. When common sense is applied, they are just as safe as any other treat. Part of common sense is monitoring how your pet handles the treat and making sure your pet is old enough and or large enough to handle such an item. It is an idividual decision, i am by no means "promoting" the treat, i am just not d*mning it. I have 1 jack russel, 1 pit bull and 3 australian cattle dogs, all various ages and they all enjoy them without incident.
    So I stand there over my dog watching it constantly to make sure I snatch any chunk it tears off before it can swollow it? Common sense suggests you don't risk giving a dog a treat that could kill it.

Aug 21, 2005, 01:42 PM
    Extreme interpretation
    I don't recall saying it is necissary to lay down camp next to you dogs bed. But keeping an eye on them the 1st few times they have a new experience seems pretty logical. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I thought this was "help" forum, not a debate. We have already established that we have different views and that it would be best to stick to "helping" and not immature, unwanted barbs. Next question, please. :rolleyes:
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2005, 04:41 PM
    Can I have some details on just how I let a dog chew rawhide and make sure it doesn't tear off a piece and try to swallow it, without watching it very carefully? By the way, the larger the dog, the more likely it is that it will be able to pull off pieces of any chew. Many of the reports I have read of dogs dying from rawhide were ones that were given rawhide for years. It is like letting a dog run loose. Many get away with it for a long time, but some die every year.

I am here to help others. One of the way I do that is to warn them of dangers to their dogs. If that upsets you, well the safety of other peoples' dogs is more important to me.

Aug 21, 2005, 10:28 PM
    In your small world...
    My world is just not that small that you could upset me. I am am a well established breeder and recue/foster home, among other things. I come here at night to see where I can help out the avg. pet owner. Obviously I am not making myself clear, I am not asking for your opinion, nor do I want it. I am answering questions just like everyone else, get over yourself. This is a waste of my valuable time.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2005, 07:23 AM
    No you are not making yourself clear. You suggest giving dogs rawhide chew toys. After I objected, you added that you need to take precautions, but failed to detail them. You also failed to mention other problems including harboring salmonella and foreign made chews containing lye, arsenic, formaldehyde, and who knows what else. I can only conclude you are poorly informed or irresponsible. Either way, I love dogs too much to let your posts go unchallenged. I don't like reading post of people that lost, or nearly lost dogs due to rawhide and other consumable chews.
    BoxerFella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 01:16 PM
    Ridiculous
    Labman, you're being silly. I take my dogs to play in the ocean. They love chasing the surf, and biting at the waves, and digging in the sand. Now, I certainly would not just leave them out there; I know they would stay close to my house, but its dangerous for dogs to be playing in the surf without supervision (just like it is for children). So is it illogical to allow dogs to play somewhere that could kill them?

I understand your point; some dogs will try to swallow chunks of rawhide that are too large, and will choke. HOWEVER, many dogs will just knaw and knaw at it, and will only swallow tiny bits of rawhide, if any (my dogs like to just chew it and spit it out). So the moral of the story; watch your dog if you will let it chew on rawhide. If you can't supervise your dog, don't let it chew on rawhide, or go to the beach, or play in lakes, or really do much of anything.

Labman, I'm sure you're going to have a pithy, snide remark. Save it, because I'm not planning on reading anything more on this issue. Shame on you for your demeanor and attitude.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 03:11 PM
    Once again, rawhide kills, and I am not apologizing to those that push risky actions. A dog chews rawhide for years with no problem, and one day rips off a little too big of a piece and chokes or has an obstructed intestine. To those that don't like me saying so, tough. If you don't like the message, kill the messenger.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2005, 12:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone
    I speak from "experience" please do not give a dog rawhide. I had to rush one of my dogs to the emergency clinic because a piece broke off and got caught. She could not breath. It took me 20 minutes to drive there cause my vet was closed. She almost died.
    How frightening! I stopped giving my dogs pigs ears, feet and all rawhide products after going in to my favorite pet supply store 15 years ago. They were nowhere to be found and after asking was told they are too dangerous and that she had removed it all from her shelves and bins. I'm quite surprised to see Petco still sells these. My dogs and puppies only get Kongs with peanut butter or liver flavored filling. Doggie biscuits I trust are all right, but rarely use as I'm afraid they will lose their appetites for mealtimes. Oh, the only other thing I give them are the sqeaky toys; but, only when I'm standing right there because they can tear them apart and swallow the squeakers inside. They chew on and make love to their Kongs forever!
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2005, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Rawhide kills. It is too easy for a dog to rip a piece off, swallow it, and then it swells either choking the dog or blocking its intestinal tract. Please do not give any dog rawhide ever. I base my advice not on the experience that any one person can have in a lifetime, but on the advice from a large dog guide school that supervised the care of thousands of dogs over their lifetime. They have long forbid all rawhide, and now ban ropes. If you love your dog, stick to sturdy stuff including Nylabones and Kongs.

The chewing can be solved by keeping the dog in the crate when you can't watch it. Accidents and damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy at the time. When you are watching it, immediately correct it as soon as it goes for anything except its own toys. In a quiet, but firm voice ''Bad dog, its name drop!''. Gently remove what ever and replace it with one of his toys, or if older, hold eye contact until the puppy drops it. Eye contact is very important in maintaining your position as top dog.
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

If it is having soft stools, restrict its diet to the same dry dog food and little else. Sudden changes of diet cause intestional upsets. If it continues to have loose stools, have the vet check it. No amount of training will fix a physical problem.

It sounds to me like the pooping in the crate is a form of protest if they are well formed stools likely he could have held. It is a very effective form of protest. Fortunately, it is summer time and you can haul the crate outside and hose it out. To otherwise reduce the mess, remove any bedding you have been using. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. The rack is more effective with urine, but stools will also push down through before making too much of a mess of the dog. When he sees that the pooping isn't working, he will decide to keep the crate clean.

Labman, do you know why I can't give you Kudos for this post? It says something to the effect that I have to spread my comments around to others... I only remember saying something nice once or twice about you and lots to others. Know anything about this? Where's my right to free speech? :eek:
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Thank you for your support. I haven't worked much with the rating system here. It doesn't seem to be the obtrusive, bad joke the original AskMe had. Certainly the rating system there and some other sites provide absolutely no guidance to the quality of the answers. Often the trolls end up with better ratings because of their seemingly unlimited time to play their games. I really feel sorry for those with so little life that they must cheat to inflate their rating and diminish others.

If I don't like somebody's post, I say so and explain why. I am quite willing to stand or fall based on the content of my posts.

The rating game is alive and well here in the computer sections. Somebody there may be better able to answer your question. I feel the squabbling that goes on there is counter productive.

It is the only section I look at that has that nonsense. Speedball1 does a great job in plumbing, CroCivic in automotive, tkrussel in electrical, etc. and nobody plays any silly games. I ignore much of the more subjective areas here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My pitbull stopped eating 2 DAYS AGO, WHAT DO I DO? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old female pitbull. I just noticed that yesterday morning, when I put the dog outside on her lead, that her food, from the previous day is still there. She is drinking a lot of water. She will not even eat people food! What do I do. We are taking her to the vet, but what can I...

My pitbull won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed my 9 month pitbull has been really picky to the point where he won't eat for a day or so just nibble at his food for a little bit when he used to eat close to 2 bowls a day the only thing I have noticed is that is eyelids are Pinker and has more moisturer than normal? He is still...

Pug Puppy Pooping Problem [ 11 Answers ]

I have a six month old pug puppy named Pearl. She poops 5 times every single day. Her poops are solid and good-sized, and they are FREQUENT. I feed her half a cup of Nutro Lamb and Rice Puppy formula dry kibble in the morning and half a cup at night. I have been adding a little Iams gravy in...

Old dog peeing and pooping? Why Oh Why? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is a 10 year old German Shepard mix. In the past 3 months, she has started a new behavior. When we go to sleep at night, she sneaks downstairs and pees and poops in the same spot. At first it was just once in a while. Now it is every night. I thought it might be medical. Then we went...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

View more questions Search