cjwillisgeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Copper Pipe Shock
    While attaching a new water line to existing copper I received a low
    Voltage shock. I could only feel it if my hands were wet. I
    Immediately turned off the main power to the house and started back to
    Work and guess what, I received the same shock. I then disconnected
    The cable and the telephone. I still received the same shock. I am on
    A well (plastic pipe from the well to the copper), so it's not a utility issue. I did a visual check of the pipes for something crossing but I didn't see anything obvious. Almost all of the pipe is covered in fiberglass wrap then covered with foam insulation. The copper pipe is not grounded at all (wondering if this is the problem). I am really confused. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Aug 6, 2007, 11:48 AM
    This is the electrical ground which may be connected to the water service.
    I used to work on water meters and anytime I pulled a meter I would use a jumper cable with alligator clips, that way I could attach the cable and the electricity that was grounding through the water meter could go to through the cable.

The is quite common and I never thought it was anything to worry about.
    The way it was explained to me is that any point in the ground has a certain electrical charge.
    The charge is different depending on the distance away from the original point. Anytime the distance is breached the current tries to equalize and follows and electrical conductor.

So if you have a piece of copper 100 feet long the electrical charge from one point to the other is significant enough you can feel it if you cut it in the middle.Then you become the conductor.
    I know this isn't an expert explanation but then I'm not an electrician.

Hope it helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper VS IRON pipe [ 2 Answers ]

?? Which is better for above ground and below ground Copper or Iron pipe?

Copper to pvc pipe [ 7 Answers ]

We are trying to install a water system in our home and need to know how we go from copper pipe to pvc pipe.

Sweating copper pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I understand that you flux the outside and inside of copper pipe/elbow fitting What about copper pipe using a male brass fitting? Do you flux the INSIDE of the copper pipe and the brass male fitting? Before attempting to heat/solder. I need to replace a water pressure relief valve and...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Broke off copper pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a bathtub faucet and broke off the copper pipe at the wall is there a way to fix the pipe without calling a plummer or soldering?

View more questions Search