Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marilyn C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 09:10 AM
    1 what is property taxes
    What is property taxes? How do I claim that when my 5yr old id in a private school.:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
    First, if you have a follow-up question please reply in the thread, don't start a new thread.

If you own your home, then you should be paying property taxes on it. Those taxes are deductible from your federal and local income tax.

College expenses are deductible to some extent, but not K-12.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 11:46 AM
    And since you raised the issue about private school - it doesn't matter whether you have children or not, nor how many, not whether they are in private school or public school - you still pay the same amount of property tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Agreed.

The ONLY WAY you can claim private school tuition is if the school is NOT A REQUIRED GRADE LEVEL and the schooling also serves the dual purpose of providing day care! This requires that BOTH parent work.

Example: In Georgia, kindergarten is an optional school level. Hence, tuition for all-day kindergarten at a private school in Georgia can be claimed as a child care credit because the school is also serving as a child care facility.

In Ohio, this argument will not fly because Ohio requires attendance to kindergarten as part of primary schooling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

My brother paid my mother's past property taxes last year. Now he claims that her property belongs to him (deed). Is this true for Florida? :confused: Nanc

Property Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know if I have to pay the property taxes for my mobile home that is currently in a Mobile Home Community ? The tenants walked out and I have not been able to keep up with the mortgage. I had no recourse but to walk away from it. I believe it is in repossession. I have no money to pay...

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

Property Taxes [ 4 Answers ]

If someone pays your non-delinquent Texas property taxes in December before you have paid them, do they have any claim to your property?

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search