Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Amiga!
    Anyone out there still use an amiga?

Someone recently told me that the amiga (the ones I used as a kid, were the 500 and the 1200) is still unsurpassed for certain music and graphics applications.

Can anyone confirm and explain, or deny this?

Cheers
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 10, 2005, 01:19 PM
    I just recently used one for overlaying text on video not too long ago... I was so impressed with its capabilities. Unfortunately I got newer equipment and no longer needed it. So it is now sold to someone in Philadelphia. I really enjoyed using it.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 10, 2005, 02:16 PM
    Oh, it's so good to remember these machines!

It's the machine my brother owned (Amiga 500) when I was just a little, little kid... I used to watch him play games with his friends... he learned how to code programs on that machine. I was so impressed with it as a kid that I took his ZX Spectrum and started learning Basic as a kid of 9 years. He then got Amiga 1200 and I remember it had half a megabyte of RAM and was able to run some GREAT games with only half a megabyte of RAM!

Unfortunately, he sold it long ago... he was hoping that Power Amiga (I think that was the name) would actually be made available to people, and I remember his plans on buying it, but it just never lived.

Anyway, I still remember the talks he and his friends had about Amigas... and I could hear nothing but the words of glory... mostly to it's capabilities to do huge things with so little RAM.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 10, 2005, 02:32 PM
    Oh yes, good times... the Amiga was truly amazing... I started learning BASIC at about the same age, I was so fascinated with it... I used an old Apple IIe, and still have it (its a professional syle with the extra keypad) and an Apple IIc which one of my teachers gave me in 7th grade (she was very nice indeed) but I still remember being so amazed with the capability of the Amiga and the operating system.
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 03:11 PM
    Heheh,

OK, looks like there's some serious nostalgia in the air! Who remembers the other beast of that era... the Atari ST ?
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Aug 11, 2005, 11:14 AM
    I remember Amiga..
    Yep, an truly amazing system - even to today's standards... they were big in europe, but never really took off in the US. For example, I ran with a 3000 that had a Mac board AND a Window board AND ran AmigaOS. I also ran UNIX on another Amiga. They were the 1st PC certified to run System V Unix. Get thsis, Amiga was doing major, CONCURRENT multi-tasking 10 years before Windows 95 (Billies 1st multitask OS) ever hit the street. Windows OS nor the Intel could handle the complexity of multi-tasking.

For the most part the Amiga's video & sound ran DMA (directly from memory) to custom (ASIC) chips, so the computer was a screamer for multimedia. And even more amazing, the early OS fit on a single 256K (ROM) chip incomparison to today's 1.5GB "recommended" for WinXP...

After several generations of bankruptcys, Gateway bought the "technology" & patents in 2000. I think it is safe to say, they were helplessly (hopelessly?) lost with such technoloy and innovation.

Ah yes, I do remember the good old days - before the Gates of Seattle locked up the PC market and started chopping away at Apple trees in Silicon Valley.

P2E

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amiga cd32 game [ 2 Answers ]

I played this game on the amiga cd32 its like tetris and there is music in the background and you hear a sound every time you make the line. Can anybody think of the title please. I also think I remember a picture of an old bearded man on the top. (I think)

View more questions Search