Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Mar 31, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Rather then start my own "I am learning this instrument" thread I'll just post here lol. (Oh and I love me some Guitar Hero lol)

I bought a keyboard, and also a guitar giving by my brother. I want to learn them both. My biggest problem is reading sheet music. I unfortunately never had good music classes in school lol so I never learned. Due to my work schedule I think it would be hard to find someone to teach me. I am a pretty quick learner, but it's hard not understanding what the different notes mean.

I know what the symbols on the sheet music stand for, it's the place on the staff in relation to the instrument that gets me, and also the crazy advanced notes. I want to learn the piano, but I love classical music (I have come to realize is extremely hard).

Any good tips to help myself learn to read music better? I have been using YouTube videos and looking up as much as I can. And I can play My Immortal on the keyboard, but I don't 'know' what I'm playing if you understand. I know where my fingers go, but if you showed me the sheet music, I wouldn't be able to play from it. Its frustrating.

Thanks in advance
    DMay03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
    One of the best things you can do is buy a stater pack that comes with a guitar, practice amp, strap, picks, cable, tuner, and a book. This only cost around $200 that's what I started with.
    Toxic Confusion Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 08:28 PM
    When I started learning guitar, I went to Meijer's, a local retail store, and purchased a starter pack for $80 on clearance. I taught myself how to play, reading tablature (which I was later told was the worst thing to do), and then upgraded my guitar, amp, and cables. I also learned that you get what you pay for, so I was happy to get a Squier Stratocaster the following Christmas. All in all, a guitar is a cheap instrument to learn to play, and you will soon find out if it is the right instrument for you.
    guitarlicks Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 12:38 PM

What I did about two years ago was get a starter guitar pack (a fender squire, amp, picks, cable) and then my mom bought me a few books about it (before this I knew NOTHING about music) a excellent book to use is K.I.S.S (keep it simple series) it comes with a cd and backing tracks, it'l teach you a lot of things like techniques and such. But the thing that probably helped me the most is NOT USING TAB. Play things by ear, it may be hard at first but its probably the BEST skill to have. And no, guitar isn't hard to learn, its actually pretty easy after the first couple months. Practice practice practice, try to get in 3 hours a day
    CanadianCrook Posts: 60, Reputation: 7

Jul 26, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xEoMxMoAxx View Post
    I would like to learn guitar this year, just a few questions though. Is it very hard to learn and is the equipment really expensive. also what the best way to learn from a teacher a book or a computer program?
    To be honest, I would recommend a teacher and learn the basics. Then the best way to learn is to practice on your own (I have found).

But learn what the basic chords are; Am, C, G, F, B, Em, E , Bm, D .

Learn what hammer on's and pull offs are and how to hold/ strum the guitar. After that.. you are home free to a beautiful new world of creating music! :) Good luck amigo! :p
    sjohnsmith Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 07:58 PM

Guitar Tips | Guitar Learning Blog
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 11:27 PM
    For those of you who keep posting on this thread, please realize that it's a really old thread that is now archived and not generally visible, unless someone happens to visit the forum topic area where it's located.

If you have a new question that's not in some way, an answer to the very first question at the top of the page, I would strongly suggest that you start a new thread with your new question.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acoustic guitar [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking at a number of acoustic guitars for sale. Im deciding between Ibanez, yamaha, and fender, all around the 300 dollar range. Please let me know what you think and what brand is the best quality.

Guitar! Guitar!. need an online guru!. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay.. here's the thing: I have an electric guitar on me with a mini-amp and I love playing with it but I want to learn how to actually play it. After repeated 'playing' I have learned the strokes and fingering a little bit on my own but without some theoretical understanding, I don't seem to...

Palying the guitar? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar... just wondered how hard it will be to learn,, :p

Guitar Hero/Guitar Hero II for PS3 help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I don't have a PS2 'cause I made a mistake by waiting for the PS3 to come out forever, but SINCE IT'S FINALLY COMING OUT... I'm going to get it. And the first games I want are Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. I want to know if it'll play on my Play Station 3 since it's made for Play...

Wet Guitar [ 2 Answers ]

I was walking in my backyard when my brother dropped a large cup of water on me - I happened to be holding my guitar. Some spray got inside, and a lot covered the outer body. I quickly dried it off as much as I could - do you think there could be any lasting damage? If so, my brother will repay me...

View more questions Search