Ask
    missellie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Size of the moon
    Why does the moon appear bigger sometimes?:rolleyes:
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Its an optical illusiuon of sorts. There is no real explanation right now, as many scientists have different opinions. Some say it has to do with objects we are comparing it to (ie: trees, buildings, etc... some say it has to do with the refraction of our atmosphere) but if you take a picture with a cmaera, it will appear the same size regardless of how you viewed it. One of the many amazing optical illusions humans see.
    ravencute Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missellie
    why does the moon appear bigger sometimes?:rolleyes:
    It's is an optical illusion.

When the moon is high in the sky, it's a) travels through less of the earth's atmosphere and thus appears brighter and harder to make out detail and b) without other subjects around such as trees or houses, there is no way to judge scale. When the moon is near the horizon, its light has to travel through more of the earth's atmosphere and hence appears dimmer and more detailed giving it the impression of being closer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harvest Moon [ 8 Answers ]

I played Harvest Moon once on PS2, but I now have an XBox. Does anyone know of a game that is similar to Harvest Moon that I can play on XBox? Because as far as I know, it's not available on XBox. Thanks! :)

Did we go to the Moon? [ 9 Answers ]

I have this debate a lot. I really hope we did go to the moon but I don't know. What do you think?

Second on the moon? [ 8 Answers ]

Which country do you people think will put a man on the moon next? Russia China India European Space Agency Iraq

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

View more questions Search