Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bojoe1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Credit Card Judgment
    I have researched the info I can find on here before posting this. I can't find what I need to know.
    Here is my situation. I was served a summons to appear in court for $6400 credit card debt. I called the attorney that is representing the bank that is sueing me for judgment. I asked for the original agreement. Did not receive it before the court date. Went to court and before I could ask for a continuance the lawyer for the bank asked for it since I had asked for the agreement. Continuance granted by the judge. The second court date is Thursday Aug. 9. I have not received the original agreement. I am wondering what paperwork I should file at the courthouse, or what I should do or what my options are. I live in Illinois.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Actually this is pretty well covered. You need to make sure the court is aware that you have requested verification of the debt. Either by filing a Motion of discovery, or just sending a copy of the request to the court.

On Thursday, you go into the court and if they don't produce the verification you ask for a dismissal. YOU should not have asked for a continuance. You were ready to defend yourself, IF they could produce the documents. If they DO produce the documents THEN you can ask for a continuance to study them.
    bojoe1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 06:57 AM
    I did not file anything with the court as far as asking for the agreement. The continuance was granted on the grounds that I had asked for it and not received it. (Is that good enough?) The lawyer asked for the continuance I did not. I was going to (my mistake), but the lawyer did before I had a chance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2007, 07:50 AM
    You should make sure the court is aware that you requested verification. Doesn't quite matter how you do it as long as its on record. That's why the lawyer jumped in and asked for a continuance because he was afraid you were going to ask for a dismissal which is what you should be doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card judgment [ 1 Answers ]

My bank account was frozen needless to say there was a judgment against me from an old credit card dept the collection agency claims that was my account ,I filed an order to show cause emedeitly and my court date is up soon.but I really don't know if the account is mine,can I ask for validation of...

Credit card judgment agaist me [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understand how a $300.00 credit card became over the limit of up to 2,000 this includes all interest from 6 years ago.I got sued and a jugdment was entered against me and I didn't find out until I went to withdraw money from my account .this collection agency claims that they mailed me and...

Credit card debt judgment [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued by a credit card companyand I plan to let then have a judgment by default. I am to appear in 10 days to answer, but do not plan to do so. When my husband died, I was willed his interest in property owned by his family. I transferred ownership of my ineterest in the family...

Judgment possibilities on credit card debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I lost my job several years ago, had some medical issues and stopped making my credit card payments and have not as yet been able to catch up on my debts. I am being sued by a credit card company for $1400 not a lot of money, but much more than I have. I have a summons to appear in court...

Credit Card Judgment following Charge-Off [ 0 Answers ]

If a credit company has "Charged-Off" a balance as reflected on a credit bureau report, Does this imply that they will not be seeking a judgment? Will I receive WRITTEN documentation in the event a judgment is filed? It is my understanding that under Texas law a credit card company cannot...

View more questions Search