Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    k1j14mom Posts: 108, Reputation: 6

Aug 6, 2007, 12:26 AM
    I have a 2 year old and.
    I have a 2 year old son. He turned 2 in April and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how well should he be talking by now because my daughter was talking like crazy by 2 for sure maybe even a little sooner and my son is 2 yrs and 4 months and I am just worried about him I know that not every kid is the same but what am I suppose to expect w/ him:o
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 6, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Lots of kids are pretty quiet at this age. With an older (talkative) sister, maybe he just doesn't feel like he has a lot to say ;), but he'll also be picking up a lot of words and such, so that's good. :)

I had a little cousin who didn't talk much (and not well at all) until he was 3.5 when they finally had his ears tested. Turns out, he had some hearing problems and once they were resolved he improved 100%. Could that be a possibility with your son?

Aug 6, 2007, 08:40 AM
    About a year ago he had to have tubes put in and that is when he actually started walking but he has had his hearing tested and everything is okay there so maybe he is just a little delayed he was also in NICU when he was born. He was in there for 18 days. But Thank you for your help
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:48 AM
    The fact he was in nicu will have absolutely nothing to do with it my daughter was in there for 3 months and it means nothing and has nothing to do with there development.
    Does your daughter talk for him?? Quite often the older sibling will do this and they just sit back and think cool get on with it ill just carry on as I am.
    crazymomjulie Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Aug 9, 2007, 05:41 PM
    The question is can he communicate to you what he wants you to know? I went through this with 2 out of my 4 kids. My oldest child and my third child were both just extremely quiet kids but they were able to communicate with me just fine when they needed to tell me something. Some times its just a matter of being patient. My son still is a hard one to get to talk but not because anything is wrong it is because as he says "I just dont like to talk all that much." So just hang in there and give he a little time.

Aug 9, 2007, 06:24 PM
    I am serious I asked this question and then he decided to start talking so he is doing really good now
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Well, that is great.
    I am one of four - my mom said that she was worried about my youngest brother and his ability to talk - He was never really given a chance with the rest of us around. We would always answer questions for him or tell our mom what he wanted or needed.
    He's in his 30's now and talks just fine. :)
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Aug 10, 2007, 02:26 PM
    I am glad he started talking! Kids are little stinkers that way, they will do stuff when they are darn good and ready to do it. Kind of like potty training. But just to set your mind at ease, this is pretty common for a second or third child. As others have said, the other sibling starts to do the talking for them so why would they need to say a word... Good luck to you.
    needsanswers Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by k1j14mom
    I have a 2 year old son. He turned 2 in april and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how well should he be talking by now b/c my daughter was talking like crazy by 2 for sure maybe even a little sooner and my son is 2 yrs and 4 months and I am just worried about him I know that not every kid is the same but what am I suppose to expect w/ him:o
    I have 2 kids and I have found that my youngest who is also 2 doesn't really talk a lot either. I spoke with a specalist about it and was told that a lot of the time the older sibling will do a lot of the talking for the younger one. One thing she told me to do (which has helped alot) is to take the objest the child wants and hold it up to your face, aking sure the child has eye contact with you and that will show the child how to pronounce the word. I felt really silly doing this but it has helped a lot. He's gone from saying 3 or 4 words to about 15 now. Good luck with it.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Each kid is different, I think you would understand it.
    My coworker just told me her son knows how to say "it's delicious" at the age of two.
    She was very excited, and asked me if I could teach her son foreign languages,LOL.
    She was really excited!
    Kayteek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
    My boyfriend has 2 children, the oldest is 3 and the youngest is almost 2, (oct.)
    His son started talking when he was probably one and a half but his younger daughter isn't talking yet. We have been concerned with this too. We have learned that most of her delays came from getting tubes in her ears after she turned one. She could not hear well at all therfore did not pick up words until recently. Also, another factor when there is an older sibling is that the older sibling will talk for the younger one. In most cases its normal but has to be stopped at a point. When your older child starts getting jealous of the younger one talking, it is a problem. My boyfriends older child actually gets jealous about the little one potty training and is regressing. He has been potty trained for a year and a half almost. Just make sure you set some alone time with the younger child and give them a chance to speak freely, or make up games where "everyone freezes" when he/she is trying to speak. Since his daughter does know HOW to speak (not well) we make her ask for things instead of nodding or whinning. This has all helped us a lot, hope it helps you too.
    herenthere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by k1j14mom
    I have a 2 year old son. He turned 2 in april and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how well should he be talking by now b/c my daughter was talking like crazy by 2 for sure maybe even a little sooner and my son is 2 yrs and 4 months and I am just worried about him I know that not every kid is the same but what am I suppose to expect w/ him:o
    My son is 3 years old and is barely starting to pronounce words. I was worried about autism, so I took him to a speech therapist. She said he definetely needed speech therapy. Not having enough money to do this, I started to to the things I saw her doing. As in, speeking slowly, clearly, and sounding out one word over and over. I also noticed that if I were to in a way sing the word, he was able to say it better. But, I would get your sons hearing tested too.ive had a lot of people tell me that their sons didn't start talking till they were around 4 years old too. That gave me some hope!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase percentage cap for New jersey year to year [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!

20 year old male with 17 year old female in Ohio [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is 20 and the had sex with a 17 year old girl and her mom called the cops and supposedly filed a missing persons report but she wasn't gone for 24 hours . I called her mom and she said that the girl had admitted to them having sex and took her to the hospital and the found semen...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search