Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neskowin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 09:56 PM
    House has bad odor when ac runs
    We just moved into a house that smells bad when ac runs. We cleaned the coils and cleaned and bleached the pan. The smell is still there. We had the ducts professional cleaned. Smell is still there.

I recently walked by a flower garden that was being watered. It had the same smell as my house but fainter. It smelled metallic. I realize that it does smell metallic.

Before we moved in, a plumber fixed a leak in a sewer pipe.

It doesn't stink in the morning when the ac runs. It only starts stinking when it gets hot outside in the afternoon. On cooler days, it doesn't stink in the hottest part of the day when the ac is running.

We think the house was bug bombed before we moved in and we bug bomed it after we moved in.

The furnace in the house is vented from underneath the house, but it doesn't smell bad under the house. The smell is definitely coming from the cooling air registers.

Please help. The stink wakes me up at night.

T.K.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Do a search for Dirty Sock Syndrome or Musty Coil Syndrome. This problem is most often found in heat pumps.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
    You say that the furnace is vented from underneath the house, does this furnace draw the return air from under the house (some older homes did this) and does your condensate drain under the house or is it piped to the outside? Mike
    neskowin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    Do a search for Dirty Sock Syndrome or Musty Coil Syndrome. This problem is most often found in heat pumps.

No worries, my husband is an ex-electrician and building inspector. As I said in the question, we cleaned the coils and cleaned/sanitized drain pan. It's not Dirty Sock and Musty Coil Syndrome.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Is this unit mounted horizontaly under the house? If so then may be it is leaking water into the insulation in the coil area.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Is this a heat pump system with electric auxiliary? This may be a reach, but I encountered this situation once: homeowner complaining of occasional odor & not cooling well. The problem? Defrost thermostat (in outdoor unit) was stuck closed, so every 90 minutes the system was initiating a defrost cycle & turning on auxiliary heater. Oh yeah, and there was this other little thing: a dead & well-done rodent in the auxiliary heater strings! One other thing to check: condensate drainpipe. If it is tied into a sanitary sewer line and/or does not have a trap, EEEWWW!
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 10:02 AM
    I think I would focus on AC coil in duct... Sounds like you only have it when AC is

Running... There should be a drip pan under coil to catch condensation and runs it

To a drain... Sounds like drain is plugged and forcing water to leak inside furnace

Which dampens dust bunnies, ever smell wet bunnies, mold, etc

Hope I helped you get a good nights sleep...
    sexy30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 05:27 PM
    When I turn my ac unit on it smell like someone has used da bathroom I had a plumber 2 check my pipes and clean my spetic tank and I still smell it what can I do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad odor [ 3 Answers ]

We've been living in this house for about three months now. There is a bad odor that fills the air in all 3 apartments and even outside the house occasionally. It seems like this happens when someone uses the bathroom in one of the apartments. What could be the problem?

BAD odor in house and garage [ 3 Answers ]

I have owned my house for about a year now and there has been a dead animal smell off and on during this time. The first time it went away I was relieved thinking it was over, however several weeks later it was back. I cannot find a leak, a dead animal or any clue to the problem. I know there is...

Bad odor [ 3 Answers ]

Some call to report a bad odor is coming out A/C unit when it's work. Can you help me is it because there is no trap no the drain line

Bad odor [ 1 Answers ]

Help I have a bad odor coming in from the pipe that leads to my sump pump well. Also mud is coming in the same way. I live in a 4 unit townhouse that all share the same drain tile. Don't know if that helps. Thanks in advance birdman60

View more questions Search