Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucas Ammons Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Aug 5, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Bercca: Muslim clothing
    Firmbeliever, why do some muslim women wear a berrca?

I'm just asking my muslim internet friend, I Mean no illwill. God willing we may meet someday...
    carbonite Posts: 47, Reputation: 8

Aug 6, 2007, 04:50 AM
    It is a holdover from some of the tribes that later converted to Islam. A burqa is not required by the Holy Quor'an.
    Hope that helps even though question was not aimed at me.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Here is a link to a site that might help explain the wearing of the berka.
    IslamonLine.net
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ammons
    Firmbeliever, why do some muslim women wear a berrca?

I'm just asking my muslim internet friend, I Mean no illwill. God willing we may meet someday...
    Thank you for asking...
    Allah has commanded in the Quran

Quran chapter 024 verse 030
    " Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do."

So the obligation was first put on men to lower their gaze and to guard their modesty.

Then the comes the verse for women..

Quran chapter 024 verse 031
    " And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss."

Most muslim women wear the "hijab",burga etc in obedience to Allahs command to cover our adornement in front of non-mahrem (mahrems are ones we cannot marry as per rules of Islam).
    Some women also wear the niqab (that is everything except the eyes are seen). This form of covering is not considered obligatory by some scholars but the wives of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his family) were commanded to cover as such and many muslim women cover the same way in order to follow the mothers of believers.

I would also like to point out that the significance of wearing the covering is important that hijab does not only mean a covering of the physical self for muslims,but also of the spiritual and character, so that most women who wear the proper hijab wears materials that are not see through or colours that would attract the opposite sex hence many prefer darker colours or blacks,but it is not an obligation as long as the covering is proper in that it does not show the shape of the body.

And the other thing about hijab is we women obey Allah as muslims in that we keep our beauty for the eyes of the husband and we can wear anything we wish in front of our husbands and those who are categorized as "mahrems".

Hope this clears up some of your doubts..
    Please do ask if you need more information.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonite
    It is a holdover from some of the tribes that later converted to Islam. A burqa is not required by the Holy Quor'an.
    Hope that helps even though question was not aimed at me.
    I do not think it is a holdover from the tribes...
    As I have read that even Christian women and jewish women cover their hair when entering churches or praying etc.
    And nuns also cover in a similar fashion too.

I could have read the wrong information...

Aug 6, 2007, 04:04 PM
    You have to go back but the full head to toe covering was from the tribes.
    It is also in the Bible that women are to have their hair covered so it is not just from the Quor'an.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonite
    You have to go back but the full head to toe covering was from the tribes.
    It is also in the Bible that women are to have their hair covered so it is not just from the Quor'an.

Which tribes are you referring to?From way back in history and not to the Arab tribes?

The full head to toe covering as I said in my previous post is followed as the wives of Muhammad (peace be upon him) did so by the command of Allah and most muslim women try to emulate the mothers of believers (as we call them) as they were among the best of muslims.

And yes I do agree that Bible also says women should cover and we believe Quran has similar commands to the bible as we believe the original Bible (Injeel) was sent by the Almighty and the Most Merciful.

Aug 6, 2007, 04:27 PM
    It has been almost 50 years when I last looked this up. Yes it comes from the tribes of Arabia and was in place when The Prophet started to bring the word of God to that area.
    Will have to go back and look it up again as it has been a long time.

Aug 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Firmbieliever. In my story, as I have pointed out, women fight along side men. Beit in separate units. Could the muslim "Amazons" wear their armor instead of a hijab in public?
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ammons
    Firmbieliever. In my story, as I have pointed out, women fight along side men. beit in seperate units. Could the muslim "Amazons" wear their armor instead of a hijab in public?
    If it covers them properly without eccentuating the figure or exposing skin except the hands and the face, I guess it would be all right.
    The criteria for clothing of both men and woman must meet the following criteria
    -not tight fitting that it hugs the body and shows the shape and figure
    -not transparent or thin that the outline could be seen
    -not made in a way to attract the opposite sex

The hijab is a protection of the woman's modesty in the physical and spiritual sense.

As this is fiction you are talking about, if it was in reality muslim women are not really obligated to join war fare.

Hope this was helpful:)

Aug 7, 2007, 01:38 PM
    The armor itself is form fitting, but the garment placed over the armor is not; leather jacket, burga etc. Over time the armor and overgarment will become one. Meaning that putting on the overgarment and armor become the same thing. The armor covers the entire body from head to foot to protect the wearer from injury. The armor's ability to incorperate various types of clothing is helpful because it allows a wearer to be dressed in native clothing, but still have armor protection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changes in Muslim belief [ 13 Answers ]

The soul of Islam sprang from solitary Christian hermits, scattered here and there throughout the desert, consecrating their lives to God, and fleeing from the wrath to come. Even in pre-Islamic Arabic poetry we see how strong was the impression made on the Arab mind by the gaunt, weird men with...

Muslim girl... [ 8 Answers ]

Dear Expert, I am 22 years old girl.I have a lot of problems in my life,that simply made me a very depressed person who doesn't believe in anything even in myself.The reason beyond this depression is my parents.I won't say they are the worse,but all I can say that I was never happy in my life,and...

Emo clothing? [ 12 Answers ]

Ummm hi :D Is emo clothing so over??

Recent Muslim holiday? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there currently a celebration or holiday of some sort that started on Monday (or over the weekend)? A couple girls at my school all of the sudden started to wear the head coverings, and I was just wondering.

Muslim prayers in school debated [ 14 Answers ]

In case you hadn't heard... Of course the San Diego Unified School District "failed to substantiate the allegations," they really have no choice but to fail to substantiate the allegations. As I heard it from Roger Hedgecock (not just a conservative talk radio host but former mayor of...

View more questions Search