Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 06:00 AM
    How long until I get evicted
    For the last 3 years I have lived and paid for the house I'm living in, the house is in my dad's name (he has never paid a dime for anything on the house), this last week we have had a falling out, he demands that I get the house out of his name or move within 30 days. My problem with putting the house in my name is my bancrupcy I filed in feb. 04. If I'm informed correctly I will be able to purchase a house in feb. 06. Which is what our agreement was to start with (but I guess things have changed). The house payments are up to date and never been late, I've never defaulted in any manner at all. The payments come straight out of my checking, to the bank, he doesn't handle any money at all. I don't know if this matters but I also am married and have two children. Thanks for the help. zak
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2005, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zak
    for the last 3 years i have lived and paid for the house i'm living in, the house is in my dad's name (he has never paid a dime for anything on the house), this last week we have had a falling out, he demands that i get the house out of his name or move within 30 days. my problem with putting the house in my name is my bancrupcy i filed in feb. 04. if i'm informed correctly i will be able to purchase a house in feb. 06. which is what our agreement was to start with (but i guess things have changed). the house payments are up to date and never been late, i've never defaulted in any manner at all. the payments come straight out of my checking, to the bank, he doesn't handle any money at all. i don't know if this matters but i also am married and have two children. thanks for the help. zak

Is any of this in writing??
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Hello zak:

It appears that you have nothing in writing. Real Estate law does not recognize verbal contracts. Assuming you have nothing in writing, you are a tenant, and can be evicted according the laws of the state you live in. If he does it right (and he probably won't), and you do it wrong (which you probably will if you don't listen to me) you might have to leave as soon as a few weeks.

Given what he does, and given what you can prove, and given the tempermant of the court, (ALL of which is unknown) you might be able to stay for a month or two. You might even find a sympathetic court that will rule in your favor, assuming your deal was to buy the home, and that's not clear.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

Adult Child evicted from home? [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know how, in GA, to be sure you can evict your 18-year old drug abusing adult son? I am told that merely telling him to leave (done) and changing the locks (done) is not sufficient. Thanks.

Has it been too long? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old and I dropped out of school in the 9th grade. I was currently 17 then because I was behind. How can I get all of it back by going back to school? Do you think it's too late?

View more questions Search