Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RosieB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Can someone be thrown out of an apt because of a mental disabilty?
    Hi all,
    My brother is bipolar and recently had an episode in front of his apartment complex in the middle of the day. He was loudly shouting a verse from the bible out front and scared some of the tenants. The owner and apt manager were there and called the police. He was taken to the hospital. The next day there was a 30 day notice on his door--he had signed a one year lease and it was only his first month in the apt. My brother was hospitalized for his condition, was medicated, now stable and we are wondering if there is anything we can do to keep his apartment. He is financially able to pay his rent and is committed to taking his meds and is under the care of a psychiatrist.

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Rosie
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 07:00 PM
    You might want to go talk to the landlord and explain what the situation is. If not I don't think there is much else you can do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
    The 30 day notice is a formality the landlord has to go through to get him evicted. He should go to the landlord with a note from the doctor and a promise that he will stay on his meds. If the landlord decides to go forward with eviction, he can pleade his case (with his doctor as a witness) in court.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Aug 5, 2007, 07:08 PM
    He can't be thrown out for the mental disability itself. He can, however, be evicted if the behavior caused by the disability is dangerous, or disruptive to the point that it explicitly violates his lease.

That being said, the landlord has to show that the lease has been violated. Chances are, he can't do that. Even if he can, your brother can't be thrown out until after the lease has been terminated by both parties or by a court.
    RosieB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Thank you all! You are amazingly fast! The behaviour was unacceptable, but clearly he was in a mania. I have looked at the lease and it says specifically states that loud, obtrusive noises are not tolerated, and would violate the lease. My brother has asked the manager for another chance but was denied. Does anyone know if we have any legal recourse under the Americans with Disabilities Act?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Yes, he does have recourse under the ADA. Does he have a disability case manager? Is he on housing? Is there a disability advocacy organization where he lives or in the state?
    Has he contacted Legal Aid? Or the ACLU?

Here is a guide to disability rights:
    A Guide to Disability Rights Laws

Fair housing:
    Title VIII: Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity - HUD

I have used the Justice Department concerning violations of the ADA concerning my youngest son. They do not respond the fastest in the world. I would call the local fair housing council, HUD, a disability advocate, legal aid, and possibly the ACLU. Throw everything legal at this. Rattle as many cages as possible and best of luck for your brother.

Aug 6, 2007, 05:18 AM
    I'm not so confident that either the ADA or ACLU will help in this case. The lease contains a provision about noise. Its not an unreasonable provision and it is upholdable. So the question is going to be whether a judge decides that he violated the lease or whether such a hasty eviction is discriminating against him because of his condition. I have the feeling a judge is going to look at it as upholding the lease.

Even if your brother does win, I doubt if his lease will be renewed, so it might be better to look for a new place.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:31 AM
    I agree about the noise but since that was related to his disability and now, with medication, is better, that would be the avenue a disability rights advocate would take. I have a neighbor who has gone through this and the management lost their case. While her brother may win or lose, it is worth fighting for.

Aug 6, 2007, 06:20 AM
    I agree its definitely worth fighting for. And there is a decent possibility they will win. But it could go either way.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 6, 2007, 07:40 AM
    If he was OFF his medication, he may not be "protected" so he needs to stay on his medication to claim a disability.

If he stays on his medication he may be protected; however, if he becomes distuptive and does not take his medication and the police have to keep coming to get him, that will show a disruptive pattern which may cause an agency to get involved and force him into a "group home" setting.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Does what he was shouting matter? For example, I would find it very uncomfortable to live next to someone who was shouting that I was an evil person and that he would come kill me when he was off his meds, even if he is the nicest person possible when on his meds. It's not quite the same thing as having someone with loud music next door.
    Apartment living Consult Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 10:26 AM
    What the land lord is doing is wrong, have you talk to anyone in the main office, if not this needs to be done. Your brother is sick, what happan to him is no different that a person having a epileptic episode outsinde the complex. Most company's have ethical guide lines they go by, and don't want to be branded as a unfriendly place to live. Go up the ladder and you will see doors open.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2.5 years thrown away? I don't want to go on [ 16 Answers ]

I love my boyfriend to bits. We've been talking about getting married after I graduate. 2 years ago, when I was on the pill, I got really depressed, and just couldn't cope with my a levels. I came off the pill which seemed to help, and slowly I felt better. I went back on and the same thing...

Son gets disabilty from dad [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 17 he gets disabilty through his dad. He did live with mom. He went to stay with dad 1 month ago. The dad now wants his disabilty to go to him. I think my son will move back with me. What do I do.

Disabilty matters Love? Please predict [ 12 Answers ]

Hello Readers and my friends, Hv been active in many forums and atlast got forum of my need.I m 24 female wheelchair bound:mad: from 10 years,but I'm highly active in all other things like a normal gal let it be cooking,working,earning,n all stuff. Before some months, my best frd proposed...

Dog Won't Eat - Has Thrown Up :( [ 4 Answers ]

This morning my 4.5 year old black lab threw up. He is an outdoor dog, but sleeps in his crate inside at night and when we get home from work he comes inside with us. Usually he sleeps the entire night, but this morning he got us up at 2:30 am (I let him out and back in). Then around 4:30 am...

When should an old lipstick be thrown out? [ 7 Answers ]

I was cleaning out some drawers and found some old cosmetics. I know that all eye and face products should not be used past say six months because of bacteria concerns. Is this true of lipsticks too? When should an old lipstick be thrown out for health reasons? Thank you.

View more questions Search