Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pimppim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Automobile exhaust
    1. Why does my car consumes more fuel if I have a burst exhaust pipe?

2.if I have droplets of water coming out of my exhaust pipe, what does
    That say of my engine?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I think the catalyctic converter attached to the exhaust system is the reason for your fuel problem, not just the exhaust pipe. And the water from your exhaust pipe is condensation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 08:07 AM
    As for poorer mileage - the engine in your car is typically tuned to expect a certain amount of back pressure from the exhaust system. If the exhaust pipe is burst then exhaust gasses will exit from the engine cylinder prematurely, and some of the useful work that would otherwise be done by the expansion of the exhaust gas while still in the cylinder is lost.

Some people spend a lot of money for after-market "free-flow" exhausts that are touted as increasing horse power - you often see (and hear) these on small sporty cars around town. The irony is that is the exhaust isn't properly tuned to the engine characteristics you can end up with less torque and power out of the engine, not more.

The water in the exhaust is simply the product of hydrogen in the gasoline molecule combining with oxygen in the air to form water (actually steam) in the engine exhaust. If the exhaust system isn't up to operating temperature the steam may cool and condense out as water before it gets out the tail pipe. That's why you typically see water in the exhaust when you first start the car. After a few minutes the exhaust should be warm enough so that the steam doesn't condense out. People who use the cars primarily for very short trips may experience pre-mature corrosion of the exhaust components, because if the exhaust system never has a chance to get up to temperature water may collect inside the exhaust system and corrode components from the inside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Automobile related [ 1 Answers ]

16v indicates that each cylinder carrys 4 valve But can any body tell me what for these no of valves are being used instead of 2 valve Would this going to increase any efficiency

Automobile related [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, Here is rahul need your help Can anybody help me by giving the answer:- what is meaning of 16V 1.1L written in WagonR car Is this something indicates the valve

Automobile Title [ 3 Answers ]

I have a car that I am currently making payments on. Should I have a Title for this car? Or does the bank only have a Title? I fear that I may have lost it.

Automobile [ 2 Answers ]

My 1989 Ford F-150 2wheel Drive 4.9 liter engine, standard transmission truck is not charging my battery correctly even with a new alternator,when the battery is fully charged it runs beautifully, and starts up without a problem, after I drive it for awhile and shut it off, and try starting it...

Company automobile [ 3 Answers ]

If an owner of a LLC purchases a car and wants to count off the car expense on taxes, do you have to record the purchase price of the car. The company is paying the monthly payment but did not invest in the initial purchase. My question comes from posting the car payment. You have principal and...

View more questions Search