Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldnugget Posts: 99, Reputation: 9

Aug 5, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Partner wants son circumcised.I am dead against it
    Does anyone know if it is possible for the father of a baby boy to have him circumcised without the mother's permission?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Papers have to be signed by at least one parent. I signed for both of my kids circumcisions, and my husband didn't want them to have the procedure. So yes, one parent can sign the papers against the other parents wishes.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Are you married to the parent?
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Ahh good question. Thanks :)

Aug 5, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg

No we are not married and I will leave my partner if needs be to protect my son from having the procedure. I can't believe that they would circumcise a baby unless the mother agreed to it
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:09 AM
    If you aren't married and can't come to some sort of an agreement on the issue, they won't do it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:09 AM
    If you were married, all they need is the consent of one of the parents.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Consent for this procedure must be signed by only one parent. You should address your concerns with your doctor and the hospital staff.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    consent for this procedure must be signed by only one parent. You should address your concerns with your doctor and the hospital staff.
    Thanks for giving the right answer.. lol. I thought it would matter whether you were married.

To the OP : listen to J_9!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Gold I think that you need to do whatever to protect your child. I applaud you, more women need to stick up for the children. Let the boyfriend know that it can always be done, later if need be. But I have 3 nephews that are not circumcised and they are adults now, and never no problems. Also we have 3 great nephews that are not circumcised and 1 is 5 the other 2 and 1 is a year old. IF I had known what I know now. My boys would have never been touched, I listened to the doctor and now after eductaing myself I feel that it is useless to do. Good Luck

Aug 5, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Thanks everyone for your answers and advice. I really didn't think they could do it unless they had my permission. Now I know otherwise, I will get some sort of legal advice to see if I can stop him from doing it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldnugget
    Thanks everyone for your answers and advice. i really didn't think they could do it unless they had my permission. now i know otherwise, i will get some sort of legal advice to see if i can stop him from doing it.
    Also, lik J_9 said, talk to your hospital staff. I am sure they will try to work with you and your partner the best they can. :)

Aug 5, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Also, lik J_9 said, talk to your hospital staff. I am sure they will try to work with you and your partner the best they can. :)

Thanks nautical. I have already spoken to them with him and even though they said that circumcision was not routine and also not necessary, he is still adamant about finding a doctor to do it so I will have to get some sort of legal advice. Perhaps the hospital might be able to advice me.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 08:34 AM
    It is possible. It never hurts to ask :)
    Dreamer10 Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Aug 5, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Why are you against it? Maybe if you researched why doctors perform it in hospitals, then you might not be reserved about it. I think besides it being a Jewish/Christian (some Christian) and Muslim thing, it's proven to be a very health thing too. I saw Steven Lewis talking about it at the aids convention. It's recommended, I think, to protect men from possible forms of infection? But of course, no one should be forced to have this done to their child. Your spouse should understand this. You two should talk about the pros and cons and then decide together.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Aug 5, 2007, 06:35 PM
    If you do not sign an agreement of paternity at the hospital he has not legal rights until a judge grants them after a DNA test. I am not saying it is the best choice or the right choice. It is however, one way to protect your son from circumcision.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by babieface85
    If you do not sign an agreement of paternity at the hospital he has not legal rights until a judge grants them after a DNA test. I am not saying it is the best choice or the right choice. It is however, one way to protect your son from circumcision.
    Sign an agreement of paternity at the hospital? I have had two kids and have never had to sign such a paper, but then again I was in/just got out of labor, so I might not remember.

All you need is one parents consent for the circumcision, and the hospital will do it.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 5, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Why are you so against it first of all?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:24 PM
    A lot of mothers don't think they have the right to make such an important and personal decision for their child... You can always have one done later, but its not like you can reverse the procedure later...
    Dreamer10 Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Aug 5, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    A lot of mothers dont think they have the right to make such an important and personal decision for their child...You can always have one done later, but its not like you can reverse the procedure later...

True you can get it done later, but Doctors suggest earlier is better, because babies, like getting their umbilical cord cut off, will not remember getting this done. You should speak to your doctors because a reason it's done in American hospitals is because it prevents men from getting some really nasty infections out there. And it will not harm your child. But again, no one should ever force you to do this. You should explain the reasons you don't want this done, but also hear out the reasons your partner does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do boys in Mexico get circumcised? [ 20 Answers ]

Does anyone know if boys in Mexico get circumcised? :o

My partner wants 2 adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I plan to marry in 2009 I have a son from a previous relationship who my partner has bought up from a very young age the biological father of my son was violent to me for many months and has convictions for the abuse he put mt through he has no contact with my son but his name is on...

My partner wants to adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for 2 years and I am prenant. My partner wants to adopt my son and for my son to take his surname. My sons father use to see him once a week then all of a sudden he stopped turning up and did not answer his phone when I tried to contact him. He didn't get in touch with...

Curious about my partner adopting my son [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, a year ago I moved to victoria from south Australia. I have a 4 yr old son to a previous relationship. I am now with my partner and very happy, we are planning on getting married in the future. My son's father has had no cantact with my son for 7 months now. I did want him to still be apart...

Can my partner adopt [ 11 Answers ]

.. this is the situation: me,my partner and our donor are planning on having a baby and We are going to get a paper noterized,stateing that he is ONLY in this for the purpose to help with the sperm,and that no one will come back later in the future for money and or he will not change up and want...

View more questions Search