Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wheelerguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2005, 06:57 AM
    Training in Wheelchair?
    Hello

Any ideas about how to train in martial arts techniques and activities in a wheelchair. Heavybag, sparring etc was great when I could stand and move, but their next to impossible in a wheelchair. Thanks for any insights.
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Aug 10, 2005, 01:08 AM
    Kuta and hikuta.
    On the tonight show with J. carson, a man in a wheelchair broke a brick, and mr. carson learning that the man knew "hikuta", ask if there was a "low kuta", audience laughed. That was the mid 70s or so.
    Hikuta is highlights of kuta. Kuta is the oldest martial art. It is well known for having been in egypt, but can be traced directly to the city once known as kuta, that has had at least a couple more names since then.
    Put kuta in the search forums box at the top of the page and you will find some other posts of mine on kuta and hikuta.
    Those posts include physics of martial arts, and names of web sites where kuta products (5 different web sites I know about) can be ordered, as well as some of my personal adventures. Also check eBay for products (book/video) about hikuta by Dok Lee, sometimes those are available, and Dok Lee is the person who trained the man who was on the tonight show. I do not have a web site , nor do I sell any products concerning hikuta or kuta, but I am the highest ranked practitioner in the world. Good luck. I hope this helps.
    speedbag Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 10:50 PM
    Punching activities.
    Hey WheelerGuy,

For a home based punching activity, I would suggest a speed bag, because it is simple, cheap and effective. Simply hang it lower on the wall, so the belly of the bag is even with your mouth or chin. You can face it squaring standing or sitting (no fighting stance required), put your front wells under it or as far as you need to get within range. (impossible to do with a heavybag) and you can hit it with fists and/or elbows. There is very little resistive weight to the bag, so the "reverse force against you" in contact is negligible, and you should not roll backwards.

Here are some links for you:

Rehabilitation with speed bag

Demo videos sitting down

WC & Drums browser video

Good luck in your training, and I hope this helped.

Speed Bag
    "put a little Rhythm in YOUR Workout!"
    drbill212 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Kuta
    To my knowledge, I am the oldest continuously training kuta practitioner, but probably not the most proficient. I have trained several wheel-chair bound men. Will train you for free bill pogue
    standgale Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2005, 05:49 PM
    Ok, I don't have any specific tips or anything, but one of the chief instructors of one of the karate clubs here is in a wheel chair. He must be about 3rd maybe 4th dan by now, and has been practising karate while also in a wheelchair for at least 10 years now. So it is definitely doable, and don't give up or anything if you want to continue martial arts while in a wheelchair.

This is a link to a guy's website who organises a martial arts festival in England for people with all sorts of disabilities. He has an email address on there somewhere I would imagine and could probably point you to some people or websites with tips. http://www.twt.org.uk/martialartsfest.htm

Also, some clubs have special classes or programmes for this sort of stuff, so if you don't get enough info here, do some Google searches for stuff like "martial arts wheelchair" and "martial arts disability" and contact people that you find.

Dec 29, 2005, 01:10 PM
    Kuta rankings
    1) there are none. There is no such thing as a rank in kuta. I am the oldest known active practitioner. Al Abidin is the most proficient and most thoroughly trained. Currently there are several people being trained as instructors- there will be 3 levels of instructors , at first at least.
    2) beware anyone who will not offer proof or demonstration
    3) I have a $5000 reward for anyone who can prove they trained before Lee and can demonstrate competency including answers to questions only an authentic kuta man can answer and not available on any tapes or book

Dec 30, 2005, 12:56 AM
    Those who taught me, disagree with dr. bill in some regards.

There is rank in kuta, but only three. Perhaps it is semantics.

I have explained to you that I am the highest ranked, and the most proficient, Dr. Bill, perhaps you just don't choose to accept it. That is your choice, but it can never change my rank or abilities.

Beware of anyone who thinks that "proving anything" matters.
    Because what one person accepts as proof another would surely see many reasons to doubt, even if they were there in person.
    Life is not about you asking silly questions, it is about the truth.

I did not train before Lee, but my master did, and his master, who I also trained under sometimes. But keep your money, because life is not about jumping through hoops. I started training 6-12 years after Dok Lee started but I still defeated him in personal combat when he was in his prime.

I know others who trained when I did, but I hope they never come forward, because I really am beginning to think that the doubt that you have toward those you have never meet is habitual. I really think you do not understand much about hikuta. Whatever name it is called is not the thing, what it can teach you is what matters.

Sadly I am the highest ranked martial artist in the world. Fortune being what it is everyone who does not have proof of that doubts it is true. Well the truth will find you out. Events that have actually happened are called facts, does not make a difference if you think they happened, just that they did happen.

Go on doubt me some more.

Jan 12, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Kuta
    The facts you give are not possibly true- you are not old enough to have trained before Lee. And the word hikuta was made up by him in the 80's or 90's to sell the books and tapes, which are sadly short in information. Whenever there is much doubt about history, ability and so forth, it is valuable to come forth and help out. I have done this and am open to anyone who wants to know the truth as I have been trained. You are either a gross, liar, a mentally unbalanced person or both. Put up or shut up- you have been challenged by everyone to come forth and you have refused, even when I personally invited you in a sincere and honest manner. I have test questions for anyone who trained with or before Lee and you failed. If you call it jumping through hoops, ok- jump then .you, sir are to be ignoired in the future. Dr. L. William Pogue, oldest known practitioner of kuta and willing to prove it

Jan 13, 2006, 12:11 AM
    Truth
    Once again.

I said, I was trained by someone (my master) who learned hikuta (my master) before the person who trained dok lee , learned hikuta.

I learned hikuta about 8-12 years AFTER dok lee did. (since I do not know the exact date dok lee started learning hikuta I can only estimate)

The term hikuta was used to express the 'highlights of kuta', but the word was used by one of his students even in the middle 70s on the tonight show, a student who was in a wheelchair, and broke a brick.

You fail,
    To understand I am not here to answer to junior students.
    Yes dr. bill I have seen some of the advertisements for your great seminars, and it is obvious you are a (truly wonderfully) great martial artist, but you don't know everything. (you are junior to me, as all are)
    Sorry to have to tell you. You don't know it all. You were not there. You did not train with my master or his master. You started training after I did. Whether you believe facts or not does not change events that actually have occurred! You can believe or not. I do not have to prove anything. To anyone.

Some people know I speak the truth, they will not tell you, they won't explain.
    I prefer it that way. I would rather people who do not know think me a fraud, than that the only way someone trusts me is to have proof. Because you can not trust someone deeply unless you have faith in them, and faith is not about what is proven to you. You don't want to trust me, fine. Go on doing what you are doing and have fun, you are a well respected martial artist, and legendary in your training of others. I am unknown, and I prefer it that way. No matter how private I would like to exchange messages or information, in the age of information, nothing is ever private anymore, and I will not engage in telling some people things they should not hear. Believe what you want. Discard the rest. Be happy. Be well. Play safe. But martial arts are not my only advantages. Perhaps that is why I am the best. Sad but true.

Jan 13, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Kuta
    Unbelievable- I bow to you , grand master of the planet

Jan 14, 2006, 03:38 AM
    Just the facts
    Don't bother

I am humble, I try to be as unknown and secretive as possible about my accomplishments. I just answer questions here because I feel that some of the time, especially since no one believes me, it is okay to be out in the open. Hide in plain sight.

If you are sincere, I thank you for the kind words, and I appreciate that you recognize my small rank (for it is a small thing to happen to be highest).
    If you are being tongue in cheek. I thank you that my efforts to continue to not be recognized continue to show results, and I can safely be incognito.

In any case you are legendary, and I appreciate that YOU who is well known take the time to address such a humble one as I. be safe. Be well. Eaw
    pappy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Trainers comaprison
    Dear eaw,

Could you compare the two trainers, Al Abidin and Jack Savage and possibly the trueness of their teachings? I hope that you had an opportunity and possibly maybe even seen their training.

It is an uttermost pleasure to read your posts on the subject. I wonder if you allow yourself a luxury of having students? If allowed, I would be privileged to see a private email from you.

Respectfully Yours,

Pappy

Jan 23, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Kuta training
    pappy- I have attended al's seminars and viewed jack's tapes. Both can offer you good training. On al's site there are two others you might consider- me and perry blouin, depending on where you live. Woodall is absolutely lying and not qualified to as much as comment. dr. pogue

Jan 23, 2006, 07:57 PM
    truth
    pappy: sorry I do not take students very often, I appreciate your interest and feel that dr.bill or the others should be great teachers for you. No, none of these persons I just recommended have EVER given me any material to review, but it is my hope that they all provide the proper training, and give students their moneys worth, because I am sure they are all professionals, and apt to teach.

dr. bill: you don't know me, but I am telling you the truth.
    whether you like the truth or not, events that have occurred are still facts (see webster's dictionary), you cannot change facts by you having a bad attitude. Nothing you ever do can devalue me as the highest ranked martial artist in the world. Period. That you refuse to understand there are others who have trained better and before you all is sad. Really. I pity you.

Jan 24, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Kuta
    Please, everyone- think about what woodall says- he is the highest ranked martial artist in the world- but on one has ever heard of him. If you want to be trained, go to someone who tells the truth and will truly help you. Please woodall, relax and LAND for god's sake

Jan 24, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Gentlemen, pleasure seeing answers from both
    Of you. If you allow me to comment. There are not too many people who know anything about hikuta so anybody who has something to say about (hi)kuta, and I mean ANYTHING, will be greatly appreciated by me. Many tahnks to both of you for comments, now my turn to comment: I have to admit that drbill2 is very credible and I am actually very convinced abou eawadall that he is for real. He knows too many details that he would have a hard time to keep up this conversation for so long and frankly if he was a troll he would do better if he didn't respond to my post. I am actually surprised he did and that convinces me until I am proven wrong, hopefully never. So now, Mr eawoodall, here is the catch: if you suddenly vanish from this forum you will make me look very bad :)))

OK, having said that, I realize eawoodall (I'll skip the 'Mr', if you allow me) that you do not take student, but could you contact me off line? I would like to add that sign from heavens to my list of blessing from angels who brought hikuta into my life.

Drbll2 (again allow me to skip the dr title, otherwise I would insist on you do ing the same for me :)), I am not sure if I understood you correctly, did you mention that you have some video materials available and the other trainer also--- and both of you are listed on Al Abidin's site?

I am not happy that hikuta is out in the public, because this board is wide open I will refrain from many good comments but you of course already guessed my questions and answer on that subject. I wonder, just for you to consider, maybe down the road, don't you think that we should have some more private forum, by invitation only? The good side of that is that we might talk more freely, the bad side is that newcomers would not be able to contact you for whatever the reason.

2. Correct me if I got it all wrong, but wasn't it so that just short few years ago Al was selling his materials only to people who had a letterhead from a police department anf Jack wasn't selling anything or very little.

I noticed that both of them increased the selling efforts recently.

3. Since both of you are senior masters of kuta, maybe you could comment if there were any other materials ever published besides the famous tape and book?

4. What was the reason behind Lee's decision to start publicizing the Art?
    Usually masters decide to initiate a trusted student to keep it under control and here, Lee gave it to the world.

5. It is a privilege to have both of you here and drbill2, please forgive me, I am not attempting to insult your intelligence by saying that, my reasons aer selfish, tehre are not too many masters in this art alive and it is my duty to cherish both of you.

6. Master from Canada. Do you know him personally? Any comments on him?

Pleasure talking with you, until later,

Sincerely,

Pappy

Jan 25, 2006, 01:43 AM
    Grats
    I hope to not vanish from this forum, again, but you never know. I was unhappy with the way certain persons here used the system to inflate the number of points they had gotten. And insulted all other experts.

I also technically am a doctor, but shhhh don't tell anyone. Got to keep stuff like that secret. And no I am not a medical doctor, my degree that is 'doctor' is not that type.

I believe there do exist more private forums, certain people use.
    Perhaps some of the people you know.

As students mature they often teach more.

There may be more need for persons to 'get' martial arts than the past.

Yes, I mentioned some other sources (4 web sites listed in some of my other hikuta posts) that sell other material, 2 of those are jack and AL, one is a couple other works of Dok Lee, and perhaps dr. bill knows whom the other one is.

Good question. Dok lee never said to me why he was teaching so many, but as I said one of his students (in a wheelchair) was on 'the tonight show with j. carson' in the mid 70s, so "the cat may have gotten out of the bag" at that point if not sooner. Even in the letter that was sent to allow people to order (invitation only) the early 90s video and book dok lee stressed that he wanted to keep it out of the hands of individuals who would use it improperly.

Thank you for your kind words.

Dr bill should comment on the gentleman from canada, as I do not know if I even know him.

It is a pleasure to see that people such as yourself still exist. Be safe.

p.s. no I do not believe AL lists me, as his list is of people who are willing to teach students (actively). Although I believe I am listed in martial.arts.faq or some other web based sites. Also see math.faq etc. not that I asked to be listed, but it is nice. It helps persons who do scholastic research to know certain things about different areas. I have been quoted on occasion in certain newspapers, and done some live TV and radio. I also have done 'other' work that I have been used as a source of information. Be well.

Jan 25, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Hi
    That makes three of us doctors... :) That reminds of a joke: the scene is a bathroom with many urinals and there is man standing in front of each tending to his business. Suddenly the door opened, a man barged in and yelled: DOCTOR! Doctor! All men turned to the source of sound splattering... The man said with a smile: oh, I didn't know there are so many doctors here :)))))))+ :)

Since you commented back to drbill, I rush to stand to his defence... I understand his frustration because of your elusiveness and because you do not know the real name of Dok Lee... And because you did not accept his invitation to a tournament... It is understood that it is your choice not to respond to anybody but don't be surprised when people take it for what it means. I guess I can imagine that technically it is possibly that you don't know the real name of Dok Lee but it would be higly improbable and you as a highly logical person would tend to agree with that vague assumption, wouldn't you?

I also would like to add that Al barely mentions Jack on his website, which after having seen few tapes from Jack dissapoints me because Jack is very pro-Al. Also, my two cents, I find Jack as a true and experienced warrior. He is a mature trainer which means he cares about his students well being. That is what I personally look for in a trainer: experience how to avoid nasty injuries. In my experience I met lots of irresponsible trainers who are more concerned with bowing to the portrait on the wall.. Which brings me to another issue: I realized today that I never liked that ritual in the dojos. That is what I like about kuta that we don't have to do that to DEok Lee, although in his case I really wouldn't mind because I am thankful to him for what he did. Watching his tape I can tell that he was deathly sick but his speed was just amazing he had speed of an 18 year old.

As far as Al, I was a bit reserved with him because he required a police type application, but recently he invited me to ask a question. I came up with a really tough one, in fact I asked that question to an expert putting down hikuta in his martial artist gazette on the net. While his gazette is informative I obviously cannot appreciate his comments on hikuta. So I asked Al that exceptionally tough question knowing that there is no way he can answer nor anybody else, because there is no answer. So I thought. Well, Jack answered it and he answered it so elegantly that it literally shook me up how logical and precise he was. That tells me to be very thankfull for having drbill, eawodall, Jack and Al, of course not necessarily in that order. Gentlemen, you are terrific that you are there for us! Pappy
    vex Posts: 14, Reputation: 2
    -

Jan 26, 2006, 12:40 PM
    I'm sure my post here will upset the writers of previous posts, but as a life long practitioner of martial arts I feel compelled in comment. In all honesty, this art being spoken of is unknown to me, which does fascinate me. I have spent a lifetime pursuing knowledge of martial arts, and will research this art. Regardless of my knowledge, or lack of knowledge in any specific system, I know one thing to be true. A serious, accomplished, and honourable master of ANY art does not speak in the manner that this "all powerful master of the universe" character does. He may or may not be skilled, but one thing I am certain he is not, is humble. Arrogance is of the ugliest personality traits a master can possess, and I pity you for your lack of understanding. People, do not rely on the words of any of these people, and follow your own instincts as to a mans credability. Having trained with some of the greatest martial artists alive today, I know what a true masters character is built of... and I asure you, these people do not posses these qualities.

Jan 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
    "all powerful master of the universe"
    Just look what you are saying "...Having trained with some of the greatest martial artists alive today...". Don't make me laugh and comment on you the way you commented on eawoodall.

Like I said, I've had it with talking when everybody and his brother can comment at will, grabbing a word out contest!

Another good one was "I have to research it on internet..." Geez, another internet martial artist expert that has trained with the greatest living.. dead

All the people who lost money on the stock market and in real estate were doing research on internet.

Did eawoodall make a technical mistake? I would love to ask him my difficult question but I do not want others to see it, I don't mean drbill2, though.

10-4

Pappy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Training for 5K [ 2 Answers ]

I've reluctantly agreed to do a 5K one month from today- I'm overweight (5' 5" and 170lbs:( ) and very out of shape so I need to start training. Any suggestions on how to start? Currently the only exercise I get outside of normal daily activities of caring for a home and 2 small children is...

Cardio Training [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I can currently jog 2.5 miles at 7.5 MPH with minimal difficulty. I am an 18 yr. old male athlete (baseball), and I am seeking to obtain maximum cardiovascular training. Can anyone recommend a (proven) regimen for me to follow? Many thanks :-) Mark R.

Training to lie down [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get our 3 1/2 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback to stay down. She will sit on command and she will lie down if we are using a treat reward but she will not stay lying down. With a treat in my palm I will slowly drop my hand to the floor and then away from her and give the command down...

Job training [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Ghanaian and completed my Tertiary education in 2004,had done my national service.I have had a hard time finding job because I am told during interview that I have no job training. I did mechanical eng. Ples help me out Nat

Training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five year old lab and golden retriver mix. I have a problem with him listening to me outside. He listens good to commands inside but when I take him out or he breaks loose he will not come back to me. I have never hit or abused him . I don't know what to do about it. He knows what...

View more questions Search