Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lozzajayne Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Thrush what are the symptoms
    Can anyone give me the symptoms of thrush and how you get it as I think I may have it at first I thought it was just an infection now am not so sure.I am due to see the docotor next week and can having an infection or thrush lower your chances of concieving?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth caused by uncontrolled growth of an organism called Candida albicans. Candida albicans is an organism that normally makes a quiet home for itself on your skin and doesn't bother anyone. We all carry this organism on our skin, in our mouth, in our gastrointestinal tract (gut), and, in the case of women, in the vagina. Occasionally the yeast multiplies uncontrollably, causing pain and inflammation. When this occurs, it is called candidiasis. It is also known as moniliasis or a yeast infection.

Causes

You don't catch oral thrush. The yeast is already there. A number of factors can increase the chance of the yeast growing out of control. The leading cause is overuse of antibiotics. Yeast must compete with various other organisms, many of them bacteria. These bacteria, which live on the skin and in the intestine and vagina, among other places, are harmless but good at fighting off yeast. When we take antibiotics to deal with disease-causing bacteria, we kill the harmless bacteria as well. Yeast, which is unaffected by antibiotics, is no longer controlled by the bacteria and starts to grow and multiply.

Steroids and some cancer medications weaken the immune system and can also allow yeast to flourish. Oral thrush most often develops in people with diseases that weaken the immune system, such as cancer and AIDS. It can also develop in people with diabetes or in people who have long-term irritation resulting from dentures. Some medications can also change the environment in the mouth, causing the yeast to grow out of control. A common culprit is inhaled corticosteroids, medication used by people with asthma or chronic lung conditions.

Symptoms and Complications

Oral thrush causes curd-like white patches inside the mouth, on the tongue and palate and around the lips. It may also cause cracked, red, moist areas on skin at the corners of the mouth. Thrush patches may or may not be painful
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 06:18 AM
    PS to the above description. Your doctor will probably give you a fungicide and the condition will clear up in about a week. To answer your question re conceiving, no it won't effect that but anyone with a low immune system, or anyone with diabetes would be at risk.

It is best to get to the doctor as soon as possible.

Aug 5, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth caused by uncontrolled growth of an organism called Candida albicans. Candida albicans is an organism that normally makes a quiet home for itself on your skin and doesn't bother anyone. We all carry this organism on our skin, in our mouth, in our gastrointestinal tract (gut), and, in the case of women, in the vagina. Occasionally the yeast multiplies uncontrollably, causing pain and inflammation. When this occurs, it is called candidiasis. It is also known as moniliasis or a yeast infection.

Causes

You don't catch oral thrush. The yeast is already there. A number of factors can increase the chance of the yeast growing out of control. The leading cause is overuse of antibiotics. Yeast must compete with various other organisms, many of them bacteria. These bacteria, which live on the skin and in the intestine and vagina, among other places, are harmless but good at fighting off yeast. When we take antibiotics to deal with disease-causing bacteria, we kill the harmless bacteria as well. Yeast, which is unaffected by antibiotics, is no longer controlled by the bacteria and starts to grow and multiply.

Steroids and some cancer medications weaken the immune system and can also allow yeast to flourish. Oral thrush most often develops in people with diseases that weaken the immune system, such as cancer and AIDS. It can also develop in people with diabetes or in people who have long-term irritation resulting from dentures. Some medications can also change the environment in the mouth, causing the yeast to grow out of control. A common culprit is inhaled corticosteroids, medication used by people with asthma or chronic lung conditions.

Symptoms and Complications

Oral thrush causes curd-like white patches inside the mouth, on the tongue and palate and around the lips. It may also cause cracked, red, moist areas on skin at the corners of the mouth. Thrush patches may or may not be painful

Its not oral thrush I think I may have hunny but thanks for your advice :)
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzajayne
    its not oral thrush i think i may have hunny but thanks for your advice :)
    What exactly do you think you might have? Specifically. And where? Vaginally?

Aug 5, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    What exactly do you think you might have? Specifically. And where? Vaginally?

Yes vaginally! At first I thought I could have a water infection beacause every time I went for a wee it tingled it even tingled after an hour or so after going to the toilet.I am also losing a lot of vaginal discharge that is white in colour and is like wax.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Symptoms of vaginal thrush can be severe itching, a whitish discharge that looks like "cottage cheese", and a stinging sensation when you pass urine. Your vulva may also become red and swollen. Unfortunately, these can also be the symptoms of other things, so you need to see a doctor.

Thrush is a yeast organism that lives natrually in the bowel and vagina. Sometimes the organism starts to grow rapidly, which in turn causes thrush. This can be triggered by sexual intercourse, taking some medications, pregnancy or diabetes.

Aug 5, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Symptoms of vaginal thrush can be severe itching, a whitish discharge that looks like "cottage cheese", and a stinging sensation when you pass urine. Your vulva may also become red and swollen. Unfortunately, these can also be the symptoms of other things, so you need to see a doctor.

Thrush is a yeast organism that lives natrually in the bowel and vagina. Sometimes the organism starts to grow rapidly, which in turn causes thrush. This can be triggered by sexual intercourse, taking some medications, pregnancy or diabetes.

Well am not so sure what it is to be honest but oviously it is something for me to have a tingling sensation when a pass urine however it doesn't sting as such my vulva isn't red or swollen either and it is fine when I have sexual intercourse I have no other idea what this could be so as you said the best thing for me to do is go to the doctors to be sure thanks for your advice :D
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 11:27 AM
    You're welcome and good luck :)

Aug 5, 2007, 11:50 AM
    You're welcome and good luck :)

I actually think its cystitus I have got now ha ha just been on this website and all the symptoms are exactly what I have although I will still go to the doctors just to be safe because am no doctor :D better to be safe I guess although on the website it didn't say hpw you treat it and what causes it which is a bit rubbish really becasuse you would have thought it would of dun.Would this lower my risk of becoming pregnant even though I haven't done it this month :( as my partner and I are trying really hard but it doesn't seem to be happening were confused as to why?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
    If it is cystitis this is most commonly caused by sex. It is NOT an STD, but is caused by having sexual relations that are not quite lubricated enough.

Cystitis is commonly coupled with a yeast infection.

To get rid of this you would need an antibiotic for the cystitis and an anti-fungal for the yeast.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Plus, it will not lower your chances for pregnancy :)

Aug 5, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    If it is cystitis this is most commonly caused by sex. It is NOT an STD, but is caused by having sexual relations that are not quite lubricated enough.

Cystitis is commonly coupled with a yeast infection.

To get rid of this you would need an antibiotic for the cystitis and an anti-fungal for the yeast.

Does drinking cranberry juice and lots of water help or do I really have to go to the doctors and how will they test for it ? And is it just caused by sex
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Cranberry juice probably won't help too much. That is more of a preventive measure.

The doctor will test for it with a urinalysis. Which means you will pee in a cup and they will test for the presence of either bacteria or white blood cells.

Cystitis, commonly called Honeymoon Cystitis, is typically caused by sex that does not either include a proper amount of lubrication, not properly cleansing before and after sex, and not urinating after sex.

If this is the cause, the doctor will advise you to get up and urinate after sex to help cleanse the urethra of any bacteria that may have entered.

And, no it won't lessen your chances of getting pregnant. You really need an antibiotic.
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Your original post is a good example of not enough information to go on. It happens quite regularly here and causes confusion. What I think you have is a UTI (urinary tract infection) which is generally cleared up with antibiotics. UTIs are caused by just that tiny bit of bacteria like fecal matter around the vaginal opening, or an unwashed hand being used for stimulation before sex, or to be more specific anal foreplay without washing thoroughly enough after. Sorry for being graphic but I am health care worker and don't mind being blantant to educate.

So, that's interesting, I was focusing on the wrong end because you said 'thush'. Babies get this too in the mouth from nipples not being washed enough or nipples on bottles not being sterilized. You may want to keep that in mind.

Aug 5, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Your original post is a good example of not enough information to go on. It happens quite regularly here and causes confusion. What I think you have is a UTI (urinary tract infection) which is generally cleared up with antibiotics. UTIs are caused by just that tiny bit of bacteria like fecal matter around the vaginal opening, or an unwashed hand being used for stimulation before sex, or to be more specific anal foreplay without washing thoroughly enough after. Sorry for being graphic but I am health care worker and dont mind being blantant to educate.

So, thats interesting, I was focusing on the wrong end because you said 'thush'. Babies get this too in the mouth from nipples not being washed enough or nipples on bottles not being sterilized. You may want to keep that in mind.

Yer thanks but think I'll just go to doctors they'll no for sure
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Cystitis and UTIs are used interchangeably.

Honeymoon cystitis is the term for a urinary tract infection that can occur as a result of irritation and bruising from frequent and prolonged sexual intercourse. The majority of sufferers are female, and it's not uncommon for a woman to suffer the first outbreak on her honeymoon.

Symptoms of honeymoon cystitis may include a burning or painful sensation during urination, the urge to urinate frequently, cloudy urine, blood-tinged urine, and/or pain above the pubic bone — any of which will put a damper on honeymoon lovemaking.

Honeymoon cystitis is actually a form of urethritis. Rather than the bladder being involved, it's a localized inflammation of the urethra.

That's the tube near the front of the vagina, through which urine passes from the bladder to the outside.

The common cause of honeymoon cystitis is the introduction of E. coli bacteria (which normally lives in the bowel) into the urethra. This bacteria begins to replicate, which leads to infection. In addition to the possibility of it occurring after frequent, strenuous intercourse, honeymoon cystitis can also start when an unclean finger, penis, or other object is inserted from the anus into the vagina. Women who wipe from back to front, rather than from vagina to anus, are also at higher risk for this infection.

Symptoms of honeymoon cystitis generally emerge within a day or two after bacteria are introduced into the urethra. A physician can confirm the diagnosis of infection through a simple urine test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are these symptoms? [ 20 Answers ]

Hey all I'm 19 and have convinced myself I'm pregnant. I did have un protected sex on 20th of march (we were not trying for a baby). And since then I've been freaking out. In the last 2 days though I have calmed down and now want the baby, I think if I get a negative result I would acctually be...

Are these symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

My last period started on May 20th and I haven't had a period since. My husband and I were going to try start trying to conceive in July. We did start a little early as we had unprotected sex on June 18th. We did not think anything could come of that since it was so close to what should have...

What is thrush? [ 1 Answers ]

I know what it is but I don't... I just know what I've heard... I duno.. I've never really talked about it or asked about what it is... can someone just tell me exactly what it is and what it does?

Pregnancy symptoms [ 2 Answers ]

I have just tested positive, probably only 2 weeks most at this stage. I have had tender boobs, some days they feel very achy and tender and other days only slightly tender. Is it common for symptoms to come and go? :confused:

Symptoms [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I'm 19 years old and well I've been waking up very thirsty in the morning everyday for a long time now, and I always go urinating frequently during they day. But I also drink plenty of water through out the day.infact, I only drink water instead of any juice or soda. Even if I drink water to...

View more questions Search