Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Desertdater Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 04:12 AM
    Dating a man with kids and I don't have kids
    I've never dated a man with kids... and he has 4! 2 teens and 2 in their 20's... and a grandbaby on the way!

He's been very aggressive (fast) about getting to the next level(s). We have a great time together and we connect on many levels. He asked early on that we date exclusively as he wanted a committed relationship (divorced 5 yrs but was also in a 2 yr relationship and engaged just 3 months before we met). He's already started saying he loves me. This seems too soon for me and I've told him so. He wanted me to meet the kids and his parents right away - and I asked that he hold off on that for a bit. I asked him to slow down but he seems to be in a big hurry to get married.

He keeps saying he's a package deal and I have to be willing to "blend" our time together since he is a very hands-on Dad. We have been dating for 5 months and I've met 2 of the 4. I'm trying to be open to seeing how this goes but having not done this before I'm not sure what the timelines are, or what the rules are.

His kids are older and they won't really care about getting close to me, because they have their own lives and will want to be with their friends, right? If I don't have kids -- can this really work?

He's a loving, caring man, but I think his life is too busy for a committed relationship at this time. I don't have kids, so he is my #1 priority. I seem to be about #5 on his list... after the kids, work, and the ex's issues, sports, working out, etc.

We talk on the phone everyday and we see each other about every other weekend -- the days / times vary. He claims not to be a "planner" so he can't seem to give me his next available date that we can be together. I asked him 7 days ago, when we can see each other next and he can't seem to get an answer to me.

Am I being unreasonable? Or is this just the way it is when you date a man with kids? :confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 05:01 AM
    No, you are not being unreasonable about this guy. You hear warning bells going off and wonder if it is just you. But it is not. He is going way too fast and wanting way too much. You have been only dating five months and he is wanting "another level" and to date "exclusively" already. Yes, I think you are smart in wondering if he is asking for too much right now. Why is he is such a hurry? I get nervous about guys like that. Look for other pieces with him such as control.

You have every right to put the brakes on and say you want to slow down. This is your life and he needs to respect your feelings. If he resorts to making light of that, then you know he is not into the relationship for the right reasons. Since he cannot give you an answer to when he can see you next, his goal of the relationship being "exclulsive" could possibly well be to put you in a situation where he knows he can access you without worrying if you would date others.

While I would most likely continue to date him, I would also most likely continue to explore other options. If you get tied down to this guy now I think there are some real possibilities of problems later on. Not because of his children but he has lots of irons in the fire, so to speak. Maybe you can sit down and talk to him about how you feel. No one wants to be number five on the list.

Take care.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 02:12 PM
    I don't think his kids are the real issue here. At their ages you really wouldn't expect that anyway. He seems awfully anxious to rush things with you and that's not a good sign, kids or not. He no doubt loves his family and wants to include you in all of that and that's fine, but he's moving way too fast for only 5 months. Of course he's busy and has limited time to spend with you, which is all the more reason he needs to slow things down and you should as well. You yourself should be limiting the time you spend with him and not talking with him on the phone every day and pushing him for a day for your next date.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:39 PM
    I agree with cianci on limiting your own time you spend with him and not talking on the phone every day. The relationship is going to have to survive within a calm pace or not at all.
    caldwell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 05:50 PM
    I myself started dating someone with 2 kids... He's a great dad but for someone single without kids it's relly hard to accept. He travels for work and when he's home he needs to see the kids a lot. They are nice children, 5 and 7 but it's very different to feel second to all that.
    I was in a 6 year relationship that didn't work for various reasons but I was # 1 always. I was told by friends it's like walking into a movie that is half way over. You usually just pick up the pieces and see what's left. UGH...

I wish you luck.
    irene94 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2008, 01:25 PM

Dating a man with kids is always a bad idea espesaly that many and teens you don't have 1 you will have his kids are a big factor are you sure you could hanndle bieng like there new mom do you get along with the kids are you prepared
    EN Ken Posts: 67, Reputation: 6

Nov 1, 2008, 11:37 PM

Shygrneyz has said it all.

This guy has to take your feelings into account. It's great that he's willing to lead and take action, but part of leading is taking into account how everyone feels about the course of action and he's not doing that.

Personally, I'm wondering if he's looking to fill the role in his life of "Wife" more than he's interested in dating someone. It makes me think that perhaps he never really got over his the ending of the relationship with his wife and is trying cope with it by finding a replacement for her instead of actually healing from it and connecting in a new way with someone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a dating site for single professional w/no kids. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in my mid-40's and have no kids. Are there any dating sites or groups specifically geared toward single professionals w/ no kids? :confused:

Dating a Married Man [ 18 Answers ]

Was married for 10 good years and 12 pretty terrible years, raised two really great children and finally got brave enough to divorce my husband. Moved on, move up (professionally, personally - built a new home, lost weight,) Was happy, really happy for 5 years. Happy to be alone, happy for peace...

Puppet kids show on discovery kids [ 3 Answers ]

This show came on discovery kids in the morning in the 90's it was kind of weird a women And kids say they want to get silly something and they would take a spoon and eat Something out of puppet flowers mouths, the puppets would open there mouths and other silly stuff was like this on the...

Dating a man with Kids... [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in a very new relationship with this guy who has a 9 year old daughter. He really never talks about her with me, and I don't really know what to ask him about her... Other than "how is your daughter doing?". After a while I think that sounds corny and I look uninterested. What should I be...

Dating a man with 2 kids. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I am dating a man with 2 kids from 2 different women. His youngest child is from the girlfriend he was so so deeply in love with that he even tried to commit suicide. When he picks up his child I stay behind and cry because I can't handle the fact he has to still see his ex. Any advice

View more questions Search