Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rob453 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 09:27 PM
    How to look for off-campus housing?
    I applied for university on-campus housing in big city and I am on waitlist. I may or not get space, it is very limited, about 3000-3500 on 14,000 undergraduate students with most reserved for freshmen and sophomore. (and I will be sophmore).I am thinking about looking for off-campus housing still close to my school and subway. The costs at living studio are nearly the same as on campus, sometimes cheaper. I looked on rent.com website but do you know better ones? What websites are good for finding rents and what good for finding a roommate. Would you rather get (if you were in my place) single studio for $600-$800 or try to find a roommate who needs another roommate and share costs and pay $500 or less? Do most rents in general are furnished and have bed and desk? Since I am on waitlist the best housing option for me would be that does not need me to sign long-term contract, but on other side I do not want to live in hotel. LOL What are the options for me? I currently live with parents and when I go to school I commute for 1 h - 1:30 hour. But I do not want to stay here because I need to get involve more on-campus. What are good options for finding rent? Are lease agencies good and reliable source for finding rents or rather on own through websites?

I go to school in Chicago with campuses in Lincoln Park and Loop if that helps! I prefer living in Lincoln Park or Lakeview but it can be any other area as long as it is close to Red Line and safe.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 09:37 PM
    I would want a place without roommates simply because nowadays it's real hard to find a good fit especially on short notice. Also, roommates complicate life with friends and noise.

I would think you could find something reasonable in Lakeview. Call several realtors in that area or pick up a neighborhood newspaper (or the Trib or Sun-Times). What about Bucktown? I know someone who lives there (renting) and could ask him about rent and the L etc.

Oh, which college?
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I would want a place without roommates simply because nowadays it's real hard to find a good fit especially on short notice. Also, roommates complicate life with friends and noise.

I would think you could find something reasonable in Lakeview. Call several realtors in that area or pick up a neighborhood newspaper (or the Trib or Sun-Times). What about Bucktown? I know someone who lives there (renting) and could ask him about rent and the L etc.

Oh, which college?
    I go to DePaul University. I will be involved both in Lincoln Park campus and Loop. Yeah, regarding the roommate, it would be good for me to have one and make friends, but off-campus it could be most likely not under control like you say with noise, especially parties. Where is Buckton, is it on north or south. I do not want to live too far from loop, especially on south which I think is lot more dangerous than north. Besides Red Line is under construction and it runs slower than before, so I do not want to live too far north, like north of Irving Park. What are typical utility costs like for water and electricity?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Bucktown is the neighborhood immediately west of Lincoln Park/DePaul. It would be perfect. Let me email Toby (my friend who lives there) to ask him about utilities, rent costs, etc. Ask me more questions tonight yet if possible.

http://www.dreamtown.com/images/maps...orhood-map.gif

Aren't you the person who asked about jobs in Chicago, and I suggested getting a job on campus so you will get tuition paid?
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Dearborn Plaza Apartments in Chicago, IL

2244 Cleveland in Chicago, IL

525 W Deming in Chicago, IL

What do you think about those rentals? Very conviently located, just blocks from my school, except dearborn!

PS. You can send him questions. Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Dearborn Plaza would be 'way too expensive, I'm guessing. The other one looks promising.
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Dearborn Plaza would be 'way too expensive, I'm guessing. The other one looks promising.
    You think so? With almost same price ranges? Because one on Clevaland seems to me most expensive (you can click on links). Thanks again for asking your friend about price of utilities and will look forward for answers.
    And... Yes I am the same person who asked for job :). I will have soon interview about on-campus job as commuter advisor! :) Most student on-campus jobs won't wave tuition but still are good. Some offer stipend. Currently I got job as barista at Starbucks in Schaumburg!
    Besides do u know anything about temporary housing? Since I am on waitlist maybe this would be good option for me too?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What decision should I make about on-campus housing? [ 1 Answers ]

I talked with my mother and she is worried that I''ll get so in debt in the end that I will be paying 20 or 30 years! I agree I should take as minimum as possible, but I would prefer to live on campus so I would get better off with college. Besides sometimes situation at home is not stable,...

Assimilation in practice on you.S. Campus [ 16 Answers ]

Commencement weekend is hard to plan at the University of California, Los Angeles. The university now has so many separate identity-group graduations that scheduling them not to conflict with one another is a challenge. The women’s studies graduation and the Chicana/Chicano studies graduation are...

F1(campus job) and h1 tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a F1 student from Jan - May (and working as research assistant). I have a W2 from this employer. In June I started my full time employment as OPT and have a W2. In Septemeber I received my H1 status. However my employer has been witholding the FICA tax during this OPT period(roughly 6...

View more questions Search