Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scoffey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Tape worm medication dosage
    I have two young puppies that have been medicated once by the D-Worm brand tape worm remover. It seems to have taken care of the problem but should I follow up with another dosage later on or is one enough. Thanks.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 08:07 PM
    With my dogs I just did the 1 treatment. My neighbor did 2 treatments with her dog. She found them in his stool a month or so later. From what I understand, the tape worm is 1 long worm and the medicine kills it and they digest it and poop it out. Now this is for tape worms only that I speak of, as I have no experience with any other type of worms. Also I am told/read the only way dogs/puppies get tape worms is from eating a flea that is infected. Btw mine are adults not puppies.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 05:42 AM
    scoffey, it depends upon which D-Worm product you used for the puppies and how seriously infected they are. You should follow the dosing instruction that came with the product. In case, for whatever reason, you misplaced the instructions, Farnum is the manufacturer of D-Worm. Here is a link to their webpage which lists each product. Click on the link of the product you have used. Directions for use is included:
    Farnam Pet › Products › Search Results

Check your puppies stools regularly. It will take a few days for the dead worms to work their way through completely. Make sure that the worms aren't moving around. Keep checking the stool. If after a few weeks, there doesn't appear to be any worms, the one dosage should have done the trick.

Please speak to your vet about the different flea treatment options available to you for puppies. If you don't get the fleas under control, you will continue to have problems with worms. Fleas are worm carriers and all you pups have to do ingest one when chewing on themselves for relief. Since you didn't mention their ages, I am hesitant to suggest anything. But, the safest products are sold through the vets offices, not over the counter.

Just as an FYI, tapeworms can also be transmitted through a dog managing to catch and eat small animals, rabbits specifically. I doubt very much your pups ate one, lol, but store that info away.
    katkat05 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Aug 5, 2007, 08:02 AM
    My vet just started us on a heart worm medication that takes care of heartworm as well as tapeworm, round worm and hookworm. Its called Iverheart Max and well worth the money if you ask me.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Our you sure it does tape worms? Both the Revolution and Heartgard+ I use control several types of worms, but not tape worms.
    katkat05 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Aug 8, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Yes, it must be new. Here is a link for you.
    Iverhart - FAQ
    It tells all the parasites it kills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Metathione dosage [ 38 Answers ]

Is anyone taking any metathione pills and if so, what is the right dosage? I would like to start taking metathione along with my glutathione pills for faster results with skin lightening

L-glutathione pill dosage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi just wondering how much dosage should I take of the glutathione pill & vit c, as I have yellow skin and I work out quite a lot?:)

Right dosage for MET tathione [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know what's the right dosage (MET tathione) for me? I weigh around 120 pounds.. I have fair skin but I want fairer skin so I was thinking of taking 1000 mg/day for faster results. Would that be fine?

Puppy worm medication [ 2 Answers ]

How often should you give worm medication to a 4 to 5 lb toy rat terrier that is 6 months old? ::)

View more questions Search