Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marjana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Sewage drainpipes are under neighbors land
    We live in a 100-year-old house. The sewage and wastwater from the north side of our house drains into a pipe that is about three feet inside our neighbor's property line between our houses. This pipe connects to the city pipe in the alley. The original pipe is clay and crumbling. We need to replace about six feet of the old pipe that runs under her property. These pipes have been there more than 50 years; longer than we or she have owned our properties. Our neighbor will fight our access to her property. What rights do we have in this case?
    Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 05:01 PM
    There should be a easement to this on the deeds.

If there is no easement, it is very possible you will have to put a new line in on your property.

This may turn out to be a joint pipe in older areas it is not uncommom for two houses to use one main line to the sewer that is located between the two homes. ( I lived in one of these and it was a nightmare)

You need to search the deed records going back 100 years and see if a easment was ever made.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annoying Neighbors! [ 27 Answers ]

Ok, at first my husband thought it was my imagination. My neighbors that live right next door do exactly as I do every year! The curtains, I get hardwood floors, they get it a week later, same wreaths at christmas, this week I put out certain topiaries a certain way on the porch then they go and...

Snubbed by neighbors [ 7 Answers ]

I have lived in my cul-de-sac for 21/2 years. I had developed friendships with three sets of neighbors. A year ago they gave me a shower for the birth of my second son. Brought my family meals after the delivery. Our kids play out in the street and we have spend hours outside watching and...

Annoying neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lab/pit mix that is 2yrs old. She is a very friendly dog, she stays in a fenced in yard during the day while myself and my husband are at work. Last week, we had this new couple move in next door. And now everyday when we get home there are new "toys" in our yard. So they keep throwing...

Neighbors [ 20 Answers ]

We have had some fun and some sad stories about our next door neighbors Would everyone like to share some of theirs with us. ** today I was getting ready for our winter weather, I got my generator out and get it started, well in about 30 min my next door neighbor got his out and started...

My new neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbors have had a street light instulled and lights up my entire front yard and half of my home.. it is very disturbing to me and the way I was used to living how can I take care of the new and very annoying problem?

View more questions Search