Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2007, 09:42 AM
    This is the best video I've seen about atheism
    LiveLeak.com - God bless atheism

He explains it very well and I agree with him. What do you think?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
    "I like the hours, they suit me quite well."

HA! :)

Shame he didn't point out the religious organizations who provide aide to third world nations ONLY if the people convert...
    SnaveLeber Posts: 103, Reputation: 5
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Well... why wouldn't an atheist indulge in any desire that floods their mind? I mean, everyone has to die, right? So why not have sex with whomever you want and do all the drugs you want and disect living creatures for your own sick pleasure?
    If there is no GOD there is no ultimate consequence. But that's only step one, understanding there is a god.
    The more major steps, like acknowledging that Jesus Christ is the true one... those come later
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
    I liked it, except for his lumping together astrology with theology. I think atheists are usually better at astrology than religious folks are, because they're more comfortable with the cyclical nature of life and other temporal processes. The belief that eternity is more important than time creates almost insurmountable obstacles to a full appreciation of the value of living through time and in space. Understanding and finding meaning in this life in this body in this place at this time is what astrology is all about, as I see it. Personally, I don't necessarily have a problem with eternity, so long as it's something more than just an indefinite prolonging of time at some other location (i.e. heaven) within this same space. That kind of eternity is not the least bit interesting or plausible to me.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SnaveLeber
    Well.... why wouldnt an athiest indulge in any desire that floods their mind? I mean, everyone has to die, right? So why not have sex with whomever you want and do all the drugs you want and disect living creatures for your own sick pleasure?
    If there is no GOD there is no ultimate consequence.
    Well, there are plenty of practical temporal consequences that are unpleasant enough to make it easy for any sensible person see the folly of such behavior. Besides, even being threatened with eternal torment doesn't seem to dissuade everybody who claims to believe in it from doing stupid self-destructive things.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SnaveLeber
    Well.... why wouldnt an athiest indulge in any desire that floods their mind? I mean, everyone has to die, right? So why not have sex with whomever you want and do all the drugs you want and disect living creatures for your own sick pleasure?
    If there is no GOD there is no ultimate consequence. But thats only step one, understanding there is a god.
    The more major steps, like acknowledging that Jesus Christ is the true one... those come later
    Is your belief in god what keeps you from torturing small animals and murdering your next door neighbor? If I could prove to you beyond a shadow of a doubt there was no god, would you cheat on your spouse because you "felt like it"? Being an atheist doesn't mean one has no morals.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 12:07 PM
    A atheist does not believe there is a god, so in that no reason for eternity, just this life. The only thing that keeps them from killing the neighbor next door would be the fear of prison. And of course they would cheat with anyone they wanted, ( most do today, which is good proof that without moral values people go to very animal like values)
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 12:36 PM
    So wrong Fr_Chuck. Most of the cheaters in marriages were married in churches, believers in God. We come back to the same issue - is the only reason you do not kill your neighbour or sleep with his wife because the book tells you so? You have no other sense of right and wrong? Atheists are the same as you only they live this life, not for the promise of something better after they die. Did you even watch the whole video?
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    A atheist does not believe there is a god, so in that no reason for eternity, just this life. The only thing that keeps them from killing the neighbor next door would be the fear of prison. And of course they would cheat with anyone they wanted, ( most do today, which is good proof that without moral values people go to very animal like values)
    Actually what keeps me from killing people is the fact that it ruins society and offers no benefits. Oh, that and it's wrong. I can honestly say I wouldn't kill someone if I was promised immunity from prison and was told no one would ever think less of me for it. Even with those "promises" attached, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror every morning. I don't sleep with men other than my husband because I love and respect him. I also love and respect myself and see no reason to behave like a floozie, because it doesn't make me a better person. Not to mention if I sleep with someone else's husband it would ruin there marriage, and I'd feel terrible about doing that.

Wow! Look at that! A godless heathen with morals! Whodathunkit?
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    The only thing that keeps them from killing the neighbor next door would be the fear of prison. And of course they would cheat with anyone they wanted
    Your comment speaks volumes about why you behave the way you do, but says nothing at all about why atheists behave the way they do.

If morality is mainly about why we behave as we do, the person who refrains from murder because he loves his neighbor, and from adultery because he loves his wife is following a higher standard of morality than the person who, in spite of being hateful and lustful, refrains from murder and adultery out of a fear of punishment, whether temporal or eternal. Do you think that atheists are incapable of acting out of love?
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Personally I find it terrifying that the only thing keeping (some) Christians from going on a murdering spree is the fear of god/hell. I mean, what happens if you lose your faith? Scary, scary, scary.
    SnaveLeber Posts: 103, Reputation: 5
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
    "Choux disagrees: I reported you for your disgusting lies about atheists. It has been my vast experience on Q&A Sites that Christians are prolific liars. Sad but true,"

You're absolutely right. Christians lie and steal and murder, They have sex with animals and children and abuse and neglect and hate and fornicate and take other peoples spouses... and so much more.
    Because Christians are human.

But what the world does not understand is that the God of Jacob- Jesus Christ- Doesn't remember that about his children anymore because we called on Him and by His grace we are saved.

Ephesians 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

2 Timothy 1:9
    Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began

Psalm 103:12
    As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Jeremiah 31:34
    For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Romans 10:9
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Fr_Chuck agrees: This is very true, without a god they have no reason for moral value beyond self pleasure
    Hey fella, I'm married, have two great kids, a great family, great friends and neighbours. Never have I cheated on my wife, stole from anyone, engaged in lewd acts, etc. How on earth do you explain that?? Same can be sad for any atheist/agnostic I know.

How deluded are you to think that we need a god or a book to tell us what's right and wrong, or how to love our fellow man? One thing I certainly don't miss is the constant bickering amongst christians in every single christianity thread on this board. Also how is a 50% divorce rate helping your argument?
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 05:54 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you godless heathens, but I spend my days going to unholy places like the grocery store and the bank. I also read sacrilegious textbooks on subjects like statistics and business. By the end of the day I'm so exhausted from pushing Christians and other religious folk in the mud that I collapse in my heathen bed next to my heathen husband. Later my godless killing machine cat falls asleep by my side while my godless dog snores the night away. Whole lot of sinnin' goin' on in my house!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    I liked it, except for his lumping together astrology with theology. I think atheists are usually better at astrology than religious folks are, because they're more comfortable with the cyclical nature of life and other temporal processes.
    I think that most atheists and most religious people would agree that astrology is pure bunk. There may be a minor set of both who are into astrology, but I doubt that more than a few percent who do anything more than skim the silly astrology column in the paper for some amusement. Like reading fortune cookies - no harm in that, as long as you don't take it too seriously.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    I think that most atheists and most religious people would agree that astrology is pure bunk..
    I'm sure you're right, and if the only information or knowledge I had about astrology was the daily newspaper horoscope, I'd think exactly the same thing. Newspaper horoscopes are to real astrology as TV evangelists are to real religion, or as creation science is to real science--intended to titillate and reinforce the preconceptions of the gullible, but having no substance. But the existence of counterfeits doesn't mean that the genuine article doesn't exist.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    LiveLeak.com - God bless atheism

He explains it very well and I agree with him. What do you think?

I think this gentleman if very misguided and lost. I am truly sad that he has had such a negative encounter with religion, or God, or Christians that now he is truly devoid of faith. We are ALL sinners and do so everyday in many different ways. We will also ALL be judged when we die. Jesus Christ will return and judge the living from the dead. Those that believe in Him and confess their SINS will live with Him in eternity and well the rest will be separate from Him forever. I believe those to be the facts. The TRUTH is what we all seek and Jesus is the only one that speaks the TRUTH. I don't dispute that most athethists are good people just like most Christians are good people but it takes more than being a good person. If a person turns his back on what God says and chooses to follow their own guidelines or ideas than they will be held accountable for that decision in the end. I, as a Christian, just want to make sure everyone has a fair shake at making their own decision and making sure they know what the TRUTH is... Jesus the son of God died to save us and if we believe in Him we will not perish but have ever lasting life... WOW what a promise.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 10:17 AM
    mountain_man,

You're a sinner, I'm not. I make mistakes now and then but I learn from them. The TRUTH is a made up term by you guys, it means nothing to us. The author of the video is neither misguided nor is he worried about what happens after death - it's this life that counts.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 6, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Then help me out... What is a sin? And What is the purpose of this life?
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    I think this gentleman if very misguided and lost. I am truly sad that he has had such a negative encounter with religion, or God, or Christians that now he is truly devoid of faith.
    It's belief in God that he's devoid of, not faith. And it's quite presumptious of you to assume that his lack of belief is due to some negative encounter with religion.

We will also ALL be judged when we die. Jesus Christ will return and judge the living from the dead. Those that believe in Him and confess their SINS will live with Him in eternity and well the rest will be separate from Him forever. I believe those to be the facts.
    Well, they aren't facts, they're predictions. Even if they turn out to be accurate predictions, they won't become facts until the future unfolds.

The TRUTH is what we all seek and Jesus is the only one that speaks the TRUTH.
    Is that a fact?

I don't dispute that most athethists are good people just like most Christians are good people but it takes more than being a good person. If a person turns his back on what God says and chooses to follow their own guidelines or ideas than they will be held accountable for that decision in the end. I, as a Christian, just want to make sure everyone has a fair shake at making their own decision and making sure they know what the TRUTH is... Jesus the son of God died to save us and if we believe in Him we will not perish but have ever lasting life... WOW what a promise.
    So, once again, religion is all about predicting the future. If I really thought that, I wouldn't be interested. I think it's all about the present, and I have enough faith to let the future take care of itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

Pantheism, Pandeism, Deism, Atheism, what's the difference? [ 3 Answers ]

What's the difference between pantheism, pandeism, deism, and atheism? Do all of them come back to actually meaning the same thing? If they're all different, what's the difference? If not the same, what other types of things like these are there?

Ripping DVD Video to VCD Video [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rip my DVD video to VCD Video files. Is there out any freeware to do this. Please let me know the link for that. Thanx:rolleyes:

Video CD [ 1 Answers ]

I have a music VCD and I want to rip just the audio part of the songs from the CD to high quality mp3`s. I have a full Duplex Sound card and I have tried "ALL SOUND RECORDER" but there is distortion at high volume, Hence is of poor quality . Please advise.

View more questions Search