Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Don't worry about our salvation, take care of your own life; you obviously have a lot of spare time to worry about the billions of people who are not like you.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:21 AM
    I understand caring, but it isn't like you are going to persuade them otherwise. Most of the time when a person is so animate about a religious belief, they have spent the time and researched the other beliefs. I know I have. To help them find their place. Trying to push your beliefs will not help them.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Don't worry about our salvation, take care of your own life; you obviously have a lot of spare time to worry about the billions of people who are not like you.
    Gotcha, take care

Aug 8, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    I understand caring, but it isnt like you are going to persuade them otherwise. Most of the time when a person is so animate about a religious belief, they have spent the time and researched the other beliefs. I know I have. To help them find their place. trying to push your beliefs will not help them.
    I am not, personally trying to persuade anyone God can only do that... my only mission is to spread the Good News of what Jesus did for all of us, died to save our lives and believing in Him is the way to eternal life... I can't force you to believe; I am not powerful or influential enough to make anyone change...

I am as well as you familiar with other belief systems... you know mine what are yours?
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Although I was raised Catholic, I am Unitarian Universalist. I claim no relation to the Christian church any longer.

Aug 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Although I was raised Catholic, I am Unitarian Universalist. I claim no relation to the Christian church any longer.
    Okay you don't have a specific belief system, just personally whatever works for you (is that it in a nutshell or am I off base) What do you believe about Jesus?
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Not quite... I have a system of beliefs based on knowledge and the search for it. I believe in God, but I think Jesus, if he truly existed, was just a man. I believe that scripture was meant as a form of teaching ideas, not to be used as laws. I am a firm believer that the bible was written for simple minded people (as they were at that time) to understand certain things. I believe in treating everyone with equality and respect. I believe in keeping sacred that which is here on our earth and count myself no better than any piece of nature. I believe in furthering our minds through science and reason.

Aug 8, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Do you believe in Heaven and Hell? What happened to your christian roots through the Catholic church? Does believing in the bible mean you have to stop learning?
    I am a non-denominational Christian and take offense by being called "simple-minded" because I believe in and follow the bible teaching LOL:D
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    Do you believe in Heaven and Hell? What happened to your christian roots through the Catholic church? Does believing in the bible mean you have to stop learning?
    I am a non-denominational Christian and take offense by being called "simple-minded" because I believe in and follow the bible teaching LOL:D
    LOL... no I don't mean that current day christians are simple minded... I meant the people the bible was originally written for... in that time.. but I see how you can be offended, I worded it wrong... sorry I didn't mean anything by it..

The catholic church was all wrong for me. Too narrow minded...

I tried the non-denominational church and it just didn't work for me either. I don't want to start an argument here, or demean your religion in any way, but I don't like the idea of using "scare tactics" (for lack of a better word please don't take offense I don't mean it personally... ). If you are good and follow the rules you will get to heaven, but if not God will damn you to hell. I believe in an afterlife, but I do not believe in satan or hell. I do not think that there is a judgement based on whether you follow the rules of the bible. I believe that you are given passage to the afterlife where you receive complete knowledge. I believe that God is all forgiving and you will pass into the afterlife regardless. I believe there are morals which you should live by. Take no ones life, respect all, love all, support your mind, take nothing that is not yours.. etc.

Believing in the bible does not mean you have to stop learning, but to me the stories in the bible are just stories, so I don't take them as law, I don't follow them by word. I believe in science and evolution, and I don't need reassurance from the bible to believe them. I don't hve a problem with homosexuality, and understand how it occurs naturally... I don't think a God would have told it not to occur, and then naturally allow it...

Aug 8, 2007, 01:32 PM
    LOL...no i dont mean that current day christians are simple minded...I meant the people the bible was originally written for...in that time.. but I see how you can be offended, I worded it wrong...sorry I didnt mean anything by it..

The catholic church was all wrong for me. too narrow minded...

I tried the non-denominational church and it just didnt work for me either. I dont want to start an argument here, or demean your religion in any way, but I dont like the idea of using "scare tactics" (for lack of a better word please dont take offense I dont mean it personally...). If you are good and follow the rules you will get to heaven, but if not God will damn you to hell. I believe in an afterlife, but I do not believe in satan or hell. I do not think that there is a judgement based on whether you follow the rules of the bible. I believe that you are given passage to the afterlife where you receive complete knowledge. I believe that God is all forgiving and you will pass into the afterlife regardless. I believe ther are morals which you should live by. Take no ones life, respect all, love all, support your mind, take nothing that is not yours..etc.

Believing in the bible does not mean you have to stop learning, but to me the stories in the bible are just stories, so i dont take them as law, I dont follow them by word. I believe in science and evolution, and I dont need reassurance from the bible to believe them. I dont hve a problem with homosexuality, and understand how it occurs naturally...I dont think a God would have told it not to occur, and then naturally allow it...
    I didn't really take offense, I was just messin... I think that the Catholics do make God out to be an angry God that you need to constantly appease (for lack of a better word) and it is also very legalistic... to quote you real quick If you are good and follow the rules you will get to heaven, but if not God will damn you to hell" you could follow every single rule every established and still go to hell...we are only saved by "grace not by works" and that Jesus is the only way for us to get to the Father. I hope and pray that some day you will experience God's love for you and really know that He wants you to put your trust in Him and have faith that he created everything and all of us..

But that all still leaves a lot of unanswered questions that we can all still ponder and research...
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Thanks for the concern... but I just don't view Jesus that way. I also don't need to be saved in the end... you forget... I don't believe in salvation. Thanks though, You seem to be a nice guy.
    Toms777 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    "I like the hours, they suit me quite well."

HA! :)

Shame he didn't point out the religious organizations who provide aide to third world nations ONLY if the people convert...

That is not true. Why the lie?

Tom
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
    I love atheism. I studied religion all my life and have never been happier with my knowledge since I became convinced that Christianity and religions were just superstition and myth and fantasy... ancient worldviews with feelgoods held over from ancient times prior to KNOWLEDGE AND FACTS AND RATIONALITY.

Being a declared atheist sets one up for *attacks*, in my experience, from some Fund Christians. As you saw at the beginning of this question, spewing lies and filth about what *THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT*!! Decared atheists(and secular humanists) are educated people, rational people who think for themselves.

I have to conclude that thinking for oneself is very threatening for religionists, among other conclusions.

AND, IN AMERICA!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Toms777
    That is not true. Why the lie?

Tom
    What's not true? That the hours are great? Or that there are some religious organizations who only offer aide to the needy if they convert?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

Pantheism, Pandeism, Deism, Atheism, what's the difference? [ 3 Answers ]

What's the difference between pantheism, pandeism, deism, and atheism? Do all of them come back to actually meaning the same thing? If they're all different, what's the difference? If not the same, what other types of things like these are there?

Ripping DVD Video to VCD Video [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rip my DVD video to VCD Video files. Is there out any freeware to do this. Please let me know the link for that. Thanx:rolleyes:

Video CD [ 1 Answers ]

I have a music VCD and I want to rip just the audio part of the songs from the CD to high quality mp3`s. I have a full Duplex Sound card and I have tried "ALL SOUND RECORDER" but there is distortion at high volume, Hence is of poor quality . Please advise.

View more questions Search