Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nataliecb Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Aug 4, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Bright Red Hair!
    [F][F]:mad:

I recently decided to change my hair colour as I was bored of my natural brown hair with blonde highlights, I knew I wanted something different so I opted for Schwarzkopf Live colour accents 'Intense Red Flame' (a 2 step system- colour then add highlights)

I've had red hair before but decided this one would be a good choice as it was a lighter than some of the burgundy shades I've tried before.. however to my horror it turned out Bright red (as the name 'intense red flame' suggests I know.. but this was definitely not the shade on box! )
    I don't know what happened maybe I got carried away with the highlights.. after failing miserably to use the highlighting cap!

What made things worse was I had to go out last night for my friends birthday.. although I was complimented, but I think that they were just being kind!

Just wondering what colour/shade of brown I could cover it with without going too dark and whether it should be semi/permanent?
    Advice much appreciated :)
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Aug 4, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Was the color you did permanent? I've done red before too.. like ronald mcdonald red and at first I hated it but then after a few washes it started to calm down a little... just remember if you like to dye your hair a lot when you go dark its hard to go back light...

Aug 4, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Hopefully it will calm but its also looks awful against my skin tone.
    Yes the colour was permanent... I'm worried about what shade etc to use because I don't want it to look even worse (if it could!)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
    You can use either a brown or ash brown hair color to cover the reddish tones in your hair. Semi permanent color will wash out each time you shampoo your hair. Permanent hair color is permanent, it won't wash out. If you want the color to last, choose a permanent color. Remember that permanent color will fade over time. So if the color appears too dark on your hair, you can try fading it a little by using dandruff shampoos, clarifying shampoos or dish detergent. Be sure to use a conditioner afterwards to restore moisture in your hair.

Aug 6, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Okay I've looked at brown shades in various hair dye brands
    Is there any in particular that you would recommend to sort my hair out?
    Without it going wrong and looking un-natural?
    :)

Aug 6, 2007, 08:13 AM
    What about Loreal couleur experte in 5.3 Natural golden brown?
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Aug 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
    Where do you go to buy your hair dye? Do you have a Sallys where you live?

Aug 7, 2007, 07:37 AM
    No never heard of sally's... usually surperdrug or boots (UK)
    scac Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Well, my sister dyes her hair a lot of times, and she thinks that a mixture of dark brown and a copper color looks good on her. It turns out to be like a redish brownsish shade.
    -

Aug 7, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataliecb
    what about Loreal couleur experte in 5.3 Natural golden brown?
    Do not use Loreal couleur experte golden brown hair color. To neutralize the red tones in your hair, you will need to use brown or an ash brown hair color. If you're not sure what brand to get, choose Loreal Preference or Excellence hair color.

Aug 8, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Whoops... I've gone out today and bought Nice n' Easy- 117 Natural medium golden brown,
    Dya think this will be OK? I don't mind if it has a slight red tint but at the mo its just way too bright!
    -

Aug 8, 2007, 04:48 PM
    I wish you would have followed my advice. If you want to use a medium golden brown hair on your hair, it's your decision. But it's best to choose an ash-base instead of a gold-base to counter-act the bright red tones in your hair. Good luck.

Aug 9, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Okay I will take your advice as I don't want it to go wrong (again!)...
    I've gone out and bought nice n' easy- 114 Natural Light Ash Brown
    Thanks very much :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bright Red Period [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I recently started my period and this time it is bright red. It has never been like this, I could have swore I was pregnant. I had every symptom of pregnancy. I was vomiting, headaches, cramping, fatigue, and nasuea. Does anyone know what a bright red period means? Thanks

My strawberry-blonde hair is now BRIGHT red. What do I do? [ 4 Answers ]

Every summer my natural strawberry blonde hair gets very, very blonde on the top & sides from the sun. It makes my pale skin look kind of washed out, so I thought hey, I'll get a box of red dye that matches the underside of my hair & that will kind of even it all out. Well now the parts of my...

My brown hair came out bright red! [ 3 Answers ]

My original hair color was brown and I decided I wanted to dye it with a little red tint. So i bought clairol natural instincts non permanent color which lasts through 28 shampoos. When my hair dried, It was nothing like the box. On the box it was "cinnamon stick" which is supposed to be medium...

Furnace had a very bright red glow inside. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. This is the first time on this site for me. My question is about a heat and air unit. I was in the bed and smelled something getting hot. I looked in the furnace closet and there was a very bright red glow coming from inside the furnace. What would cause this?

Bright red period blood [ 1 Answers ]

My period started today and the blood is bright red I don't ever remember it being that color in the last 15 years. Is this something I should worry about? It also is very heavy and came on very fast no cramps or any of the other signs I normally get with a period usually I can tell ahead of time...

View more questions Search