Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fourms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2005, 10:20 PM
    Alaska: Floor drain overflow
    I have followed a posting on April 25, 2004, entitled "Washer Drains, floor drain overflow." The problem is similar to mine. However, I have contacted a professional plumber who first "snaked" the below-floor line; then, when that didn't work, he put in a professional acid. I still have an overflow. He states that the next step is to replace the pipe.

Here is the setup of the house--a tri-level with the washer/dryer on the lowest level on a concrete foundation. The washer/dryer back up to a common wall to the garage. There is a washer drainage pipe in this common wall. Finally, there is a drain in the floor under the washer--and this is where the water backs up from. Above the washer/dryer (on the top level) is a full bathroom.

Does it make any sense that I would need to replace the pipe since this only happens when the washer drains? Would it make any difference to "snake" the roof vent? Any other suggestions? To replace the pipe would be a major repair since the pipe is in/under concrete and leads to who knows where (we are on a septic).
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2005, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fourms
    I have followed a posting on April 25, 2004, entitled "Washer Drains, floor drain overflow." The problem is similar to mine. However, I have contacted a professional plumber who first "snaked" the below-floor line; then, when that didn't work, he put in a professional acid. I still have an overflow. He states that the next step is to replace the pipe.

Here is the setup of the house--a tri-level with the washer/dryer on the lowest level on a concrete foundation. The washer/dryer back up to a common wall to the garage. There is a washer drainage pipe in this common wall. Finally, there is a drain in the floor under the washer--and this is where the water backs up from. Above the washer/dryer (on the top level) is a full bathroom.

Does it make any sense that I would need to replace the pipe since this only happens when the washer drains? Would it make any difference to "snake" the roof vent? Any other suggestions? To replace the pipe would be a major repair since the pipe is in/under concrete and leads to who knows where (we are on a septic).

As much as I hate to go heads up with a plumber whose on the job site I don't understand why he didn't take a sewer machine, such as a Ridgid K-60, and snake out from the washer vent. That would have been the first thing I would have done. What drain line did he go into to when he "snaked the below-floor line"? I am no fan of pouring harsh chemicals down into your drainage system. Besides they only seem to work in the TV ads. The fact that he poured acid down your pipes strikes me as a "last ditch effort" to clear a blockage that had him stumped. To suggest tearing up your floor and replacing your drainage pipes for a partial clog is not only stupid but downright laughable. My advice? Change plumbers, snake from the vent and put out enough cable to get outside the house cleanout. If that don't get it then open up the house cleanout and cycle a load of wash and see if the water runs free. If water backs up out of the cleanout then open up the septic tank and see if it's full. At the same time check the drain field to see if it's operating normally and carrying the liquid away. Please keep me informed and good luck, Tom
    fourms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I will get another plumber :-) What I meant by the "below floor line" was the drain under the washer where the water was backing up from. This drain leads directly to the septic (I presume).
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2005, 09:42 PM
    Sounds like you've got a restriction in the drain line... if the washer drain and floor drain run to the same place then if there is a small backup the water will come out at the floor drain before it can back up out of the washer stand pipe. Do what Tom says and get it snaked out from the vent.

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine drain overflow [ 17 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the drain pipe overflows even after I successfully flushed the drain line with a bladder and power hose. I also flushed the vent system, but there is still overflow. What now coach?:confused:

AC exterior overflow drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have noticed that there is warm water streaming out of my outside overflow drain. I have not had my AC on for weeks, so why is warm water flowing from the drain on the exterior of the home? Thanks!

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

Washer Drains, floor drain overflow [ 7 Answers ]

First of all, I don't have much knowledge about plumbing, but am eager to learn and tackle it myself before I have the pros come in. Here's my problem. When I first bought the house, the washer will drain, and I will see some soap bubbles coming up from the floor drain. I always thought that I...

View more questions Search