Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shafique Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Power Factor on Single Phase generators
    Hi,

I understand that the power factor of Single Phase generators/motors is 1 or Unity. Is it always so ? If so, why so; if not, why not? Please elaborate.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Aug 3, 2007, 01:12 PM
    A single phase generator or motor will only have a power factor of 1 if the capacitance and inductance of the load are balanced properly.

Remember that for any inductive load, the current lags the voltage, and for any capacitive load, voltage lags the current. Since power factor is the ratio of P(cos x) / P (where P is the apparent power, and x is the angle between the voltage and the current) any reactive load will lead to a non-unity value for the power factor.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosnosna
    A single phase generator or motor will only have a power factor of 1 if the capacitance and inductance of the load are balanced properly.

Remember that for any inductive load, the current lags the voltage, and for any capacitive load, voltage lags the current. Since power factor is the ratio of P(cos x) / P (where P is the apparent power, and x is the angle between the voltage and the current) any reactive load will lead to a non-unity value for the power factor.
    Nosnosna,

Can you put this explanation into laymen's terms?

Also, please reviiew your explanation for an error.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Aug 3, 2007, 11:31 PM
    Ack, it's not P(cos x) / P, it's P |cos x| / P... power factor is between 0 and 1.

Not sure how well I can do putting it into layman's terms... I've never explained it to anybody but engineering students before.

Power factor is the ratio between the power generated by a generator and the power delivered to the motor.

The power generated is simply P = VI, as the voltage and current are in phase at the time of generation. This means that the maximum value of V occurs at the same time as the maximum value of I.

The power delivered to the motor is almost always less than P, as motors are inductive loads, which have the effect of delaying the current. This puts the voltage and current out of phase, meaning that the maximum current is no longer experienced at the same time as the maximum voltage.

Power delivered is therefor not always equal to power generated, so the ratio of power delivered over power generated is not always 1. It will always take a value between 0 and 1 (inclusive). The lower the power factor, the harder a generator has to work to power a given motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors [ 4 Answers ]

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors

Can I rig 2 generators (220v bi-phase) to get 220v three fase [ 2 Answers ]

I have two 6000 watt generators that are bi-phase and want to run a 5hp motor that is 220v / 3 phase. Is it possible? How would the wiring go? I'm in Mexico and can't find a rental... well I found varios but no one that can hook up my motor.

Power outage Generators [ 7 Answers ]

Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4...

Does the efficiency depend upon power factor? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the efficiency depend upon power factor?

Single phase power vs. Three Phase Power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any real difference in efficiency and cost between a single phase air conditioning unit and a three phase unit? Thanks, JPGREEN

View more questions Search