Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parisa Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 10:09 AM
    What are my rights?
    I've been given the name of the private investigator conducting research on me. This is not related to work at all.

Do I have the right to call him and ask for the file he has compiled? Will he notified the person requesting the investigation?

The requestor doesn't know that I am aware that he hired a private investigator.

Thanks
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 3, 2007, 04:27 PM
    You have the right to call anyone you want. BUT-
    The private investigator does what they are paid to do, the requestor being the employer, and I can bet you he or she will be notified if you ask for a file. They are not required to give you any information at all if they don't want to.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2007, 04:47 PM
    While PIs aeren't protected under privelge rules, that would not apply to an inquiry you made. The PI doesn't havfe to tell you anything and they would be very likely to tell THEIR client you called.

I am curious as to why someone would pay a PI to get info on you. You could try suing the client for harassment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
    You can call him, but he is not required to tell you anything. *** actually he can't tell you who hired him, and he will not give you any info about the investigation.

And yes the PI will tell the person that hired him, you contacted him.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Hello Parisa:

You don't have ANY rights regarding a private person attempting to get information on you. You CAN keep your information private. Once it's out there in the world, somebody can find it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Do I have rights [ 1 Answers ]

I got my ex wife pregnant back in February the only problem is that she is married now. My concern is do I have any rights to the child since she is still married to her new husband? The child that she is carrying is 100% mine, her husband was out of state for 3 months. She wants to divorce her new...

Rights taken away from me? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 9 year old son that lives in another state(Vermont). I pay child support through the state of Georgia. I was behind about 6 months because I lost my job, and got a little depressed and contact was limited(no money =no meds) I am back on track now, contacting my son now and paid up to date...

Tenant Rights VS Roommate Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I, the master tenant, recently took on a roommate. I paid $1675.00 (79%), and he paid $450.00 (21%) of the total rent. He lived in my apt for 10 days and moved on the 11th. He was a nuissance as he slept all day and tackled chores, i.e. laundry in the early hours 12:40 AM. So, due to our different...

View more questions Search