Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michellet218 Posts: 51, Reputation: 0

Aug 3, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Fashion designer wannabe! Comments needed!
    :confused: Hi!
    My name is Michelle T. and I'm a 22 year old living in Columbia, SC. My dream for the past 12 years was to become a fashion designer. I'm currently attending college so that I can persure my dream one day. I can draw really REALLY well, and my family, friends, and even people I just met always tell me that I draw like a professional fashion designer. I have a portfolio, and many sketch books that I draw my designs in, but the problem is that I am a beginner when it comes to sewing clothes. Lately, I haven't had the money to take up sewing classes, so I just teach myself. I have succeeded in about 3 pieces of clothing that I made, but have also failed more than that. I know sewing takes time to learn, that's why I continue to try and learn from my mistakes. I have found out from other people, television, and common sense in the past years that it's harder to get a job in fashion designing if you can't sew. Mainly people look for people that can draw and sew, but I can only draw. Well, my question is do you know where I can look to find someone that doesn't care if I can't sew? Anybody just looking for a non-sewing fashion designer (ha ha!) or fashion illustrator at the time? I tried looking online, and at google.com, but there's nobody close by. I only found about one place, and that's in Portland, Oregon. That's waaaay to far from Columbia, South Carolina. It's harder for me because South Carolina isn't known for fashion, unlike NY, L.A. FL, etc... I'm thinking about moving to Georgia years from now when I can afford it, but until then, CAN I GET A BREAK FOR NOW?? If you know anything, any piece of information, ANYTHING, please please please let me know. Thanks so much!
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Aug 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Nope sorry hunn

Brush up on your sewing skills-- you don't hαve the money well go to the librαry αnd get some sewing books αnd prαctice prαctice prαctice!-- if you reαlly wαnt this you'll work hαrd αt it-- succeeding αt ANYTHING invovles hαrd work..

αlso.. if your locαl YMCA or other communty centers offer sewing clαsses tαke them, or you could volunteer αt α retirement home αnd help in the sewing clαsses αnd leαrn αlso.. there αre mαny "free" wαys out there-- self leαrning is one αnd well your doing thαt-- good job

Good luck to yα girlie<3
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 3, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Yes, definitely learn how to sew - not just slap-dash, but correctly -- you will need that skill, not to be sewing yourself as a fashion designer/artist, but so you know how to talk with the people who will be sewing your creations. Know what a placket and a dart and a flat-felled seam are and how to make them beautifully. Know how to correctly make buttonholes. Know which fabrics work well together. Read sewing books. Find a sewing teacher through the Y or or a local church (church ladies group? Quilting circle? Sewing for missions group?).

I'm a library cataloger. I started working in a library simply shelving books (the heart of a library), but that taught me the Dewey Decimal system and a whole bunch of other stuff. Same with fashion design and sewing (the heart of fashion design).
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
    There are so many places that offer inexpensive sewing classes. I'm sure you could scrounge up 10 or 15 bucks to take a place at place like the Y or most fabric stores offer sewing lessons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fashion/Sewing/Design Guru Needed [ 4 Answers ]

I am in search of a person with Fashion Design expertise within the Atlanta, Georgia-Florida area. I have a phenomenal idea for a new clothing line but lack the ability to sew. I've wrestled with this idea for a year now and I am finally ready to make a move-then I realized I didn't know where...

Fashion designer wannabe that can draw but can't sew. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hi! My name is Michelle T. and I'm a 22 year old living in Columbia, SC. My dream for the past 12 years was to become a fashion designer. I'm currently attending college so that I can persure my dream one day. I can draw really REALLY well, and my family, friends, and even people I...

Fashion designer wannabe [ 15 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there looking for a fashion designer that can draw out ideas, but can't sew? If not, do you know where I can go to find someone like that? Anywhere I can look? I'm trying to teach myself how to sew a little better, but until then, what to do?:confused:

Wannabe Me [ 2 Answers ]

Recently there has been someone on the internet acting like me and calling himself by my name. He chats to people on MSN Messenger and picks fights with people. These people come to me when they see me and are very mad at me. I try to tell them that it was not me but they just keep coming an I...

View more questions Search