Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imxinxonxit Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Lawyer fees for social security claim
    In a letter I have from my sons lawyer it states that he is entitled to the lesser of 25 percent of past due benefits or the dollar amount established pursuant to section 206[a]of the social security act which is 5,300 as a fee. I thought the lawyer said a small fee if he wins,do you think this is fair?Can he charge 5,300 that's a lot of money for someone who has nothing?I guess I should talk to the lawyer about this,your response is appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Hello im:

I'm sure your son signed a retainer agreement. I'm also sure the fee is outlined in there. You should ask your son about this.

excon

Aug 3, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello im:

I'm sure your son signed a retainer agreement. I'm also sure the fee is outlined in there. You should ask your son about this.

excon
    My son didn't hire the lawyer I did and I haven't sighned anything yet.my son is in the hopital.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Have you given the lawyer a retainer fee?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Sounds like this is regulated by law. If the award is over $20K then the fee is limited to $5300.

Aug 3, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Have you given the lawyer a retainer fee?
    Bush-g I haven't paid anything. I'm told only if he wins the case will he be charged. I am only responsible for fees for medical records etc.

Aug 3, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    sounds like this is regulated by law. If the award is over $20K then the fee is limited to $5300.
    That makes sense, thank you Scottgem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to claim tution fees for elementary school kid. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending my 4th grade son to sylvan tutoring classes as he needs some help with language arts, when I enrolled him they said I can claim this in taxes and gave their tax id too, ( I didn't request). But when I was filing my taxes online - I see the options only for college going kids. Can...

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

How to file a claim for a medicare and social security refund for an f1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to file a refund for a f1 student for medicare and social security. I keep on finding plenty of info for how the f1 students to file, but how does the employer do it? Thanks

Social Security TAx claim for non-resident individuals in USA [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I worked in USA for a couple of years on L1b visa. Recently I came to know that there is a benefit of claiming the Social Security Tax I paid to the US Govt as I left USA and residing in India. I request somebody can provide me the exact details like how can I claim for the same if...

H1B claim for social security and medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I read that when you are in OPT status, you can claim for social security and medicare. Once you are in H1B status you are liable for those. But I heard people saying that during the period of your H1B (max 6 years) you can claim your social security and medicare max 2 times...

View more questions Search