Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcvfkcv Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 03:04 PM
    My son is not speaking
    My son is almost 2 and 1/2 and only says 4 words. He's a very happy little boy, he's also intelligent and likes to be around other people but when I see other children I worry that he's not developing the same way as them. He was also a very late walker, he walks fine now. Someone told me he could be autistic, this terrifies me, his doctor told me to wait and see what happens until he's three. I'm worried, can someone tell me anything? I shouldn't leave out that I'm from Spain and I only speak spanish to him.
    Nicole C 1128 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 03:21 PM
    He might just have a speech delay. Both of my sons have severe delays, but my daughter is fine. Both of them got speech teachers from the age of two and both of them went to and one is currently going to speech school at the age of 3. My older son was worse and talks great now. I wouldn't wait, go to your dr and get a referral for a speech evaluation. The earlier they start working with him the better! Good luck
    hbnorlund Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Where do you live? In many states the public schools will do a screening for delays prior to preschool. They can also screen for hearing problems. I had my daughter evaluated in Washington State when she was 2 and a half. She was also not speaking. She was found to be developmentally delayed. They started her in a developmental preschool. She still receives Special Education services. If he is found to be learning disabled... keep in mind. It is not your fault. There is nothing you could have done differently to prevent a learning disability. AND finally, and I think most importantly, there is nothing to FIX. Your child is not broken, he may learn differently. You may have to use resources to help him adjust. I hope this helps.
    m3vke Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvfkcv
    My son is almost 2 and 1/2 and only says 4 words. He's a very happy little boy, he's also intelligent and likes to be around other people but when I see other children I worry that he's not developing the same way as them. He was also a very late walker, he walks fine now. Someone told me he could be autistic, this terrifies me, his doctor told me to wait and see what happens until he's three. I'm worried, can someone tell me anything?. I shouldn't leave out that I'm from Spain and I only speak spanish to him.
    Some children don't begin to speak until older than that, some times they just don't have anything to say.

If you are worried I am sure there is some way you could have him speech tested or something similar, not sure what they offer where you are.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Children do things such as crawl, walk, talk, potty train, etc. in their own time. My son is 2, almost 3, and he just barely started talking, but it was weird... when he realized he could do it, he never stopped talking :)
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Has his hearing been tested? If he interacts with others well, then he is not likely to be Autistic.

Get it checked NOW. A parent knows when something is not right-push the issue to get a hearing test
    natetheskate Posts: 56, Reputation: 0

Aug 6, 2007, 01:54 AM
    Clap and you will know, as stated children often speak when they are ready. As parents we often can make a mountain out of a mole hill.
    sheena8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Why doesn't my son talk at 3 yrs old
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheena8
    why doesn't my son talk at 3 yrs old
    Does he say any words at all? Any words are better than no words. Some 3 year olds speak jibberish with some words in between, does your son do that?

Aug 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
    He now says 6 words: agua=water, hola=hi, bye, papa (he says papa and mama and knows who we are but doesn't call us anything) and recently learned to say Epi=Elmo in spanish.
    By the way, we live in Bayonne, NJ and I know for a fact that he doesn't have a hearing problem.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 09:17 AM
    The best thing you can do is work with him. Read him books, talk to him as if he were an adult (no baby talk), let him watch movies, buy him some games that help him learn words.

He will come around, they just like to do it in their own time sometimes.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
    I think you need to give it a little more time. You know at this age they can take great leaps in just a few weeks.

I think my son had a few more words under his belt at 2 1/2, but not a lot more. And he also mumbled a lot of them. He used to run around babbling to people about things and you might be able to catch a word or two if you were lucky.

When in preK the teacher, whom I respect a lot, noticed some speech "issues" and asked to have him checked... not so much that she thought anything was really wrong, but she wanted to know if there were things she needed to work on with him... the speech counselor said she thought his speech was actually advanced, but his brain and mouth were not in synch yet. Especially when excited.

Now, to a person that didn't know my son, they might have said he has speech issues. My opinion is that he learns things as he needs them. If he asks for something and he doesn't get it, he needs to find a way to restate or recommunicate it.

Just like your son walking. My son started walking much later that his sister did. My wife said he will walk when he decides its important enough to do to get what he wants. I really think that's the truth.

So... like all parents, you are going to worry about things that aren't and things that might be. I just think he's got a few years before you really need to worry about anything unless there's just no forward progress.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvfkcv
    He now says 6 words: agua=water, hola=hi, bye, papa (he says papa and mama and knows who we are but doesn't call us anything) and recently learned to say Epi=Elmo in spanish.
    By the way, we live in Bayonne, NJ and I know for a fact that he doesn't have a hearing problem.

A) No clapping will NOT tell you if he understands language. Just that he hears loud claps?! (referring to another post).

B) How do you know for sure he can hear properly?-has the level of hearing been quantified? What is his auditory range? (as in spectrum?)what is his language understanding level? Does he say all the words (6 of them) the exact way? Do ANY other people say that they can't understand the words he says?-sometimes others not related to us give us honest information-you may understand the word he tries to say, but it may be gobbledegook for others-pointing toward speech/hearing.

To me you have not convinced me that all this has been done. Sorry to be a dog with a bone, but at this point (if there is a hearing problem) it can be remedied, leave it too long and it is permanent.

Cheers.
    TheNikels Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 06:29 AM
    I was just curious. Since you do live in the US are you making any attempts to teach him English? Bi-lingual children can sometimes take a little longer. If you are only speaking Spanish, But he is hearing English as well. Maybe he is just confused.

Feb 12, 2008, 12:55 PM
    You are right, he has been saying much more since I started speaking just in English.

Feb 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
    He has also been going to school for 3 months now. I think that's what really helped him.
    TheNikels Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 03:22 PM
    I am actually having some concern for my son not speaking yet as well. I have read all of your comments and answers trying to get some perspective. Good Luck! You seem to be getting good advise over all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speaking in tongues? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm just new to this topic and I actually believe that I know how to speak in tongues in the personal sense but not in a corpral way. I asked a friend of mind about how you can tell the difference and what the purposes are, she said that one is for personal and another is for someone else. Although...

Public Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I want to know what types of public speaking situations you, as teachers, find yourselves in often. Thank you, Ben

Speaking disability [ 4 Answers ]

I use to fumble when I speak. I am used to the remarks that people pass when I am stuck in a sentence. All that worry me is the interesting fact that when I speak to my friends or outsiders (other than my family members) I speak like normal people (or get slightest of fumbles that are negligible)...

English Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

I want to learn engilsh speaking

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

View more questions Search