Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdunn1024 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Tipping the owner of a hair salon
    My hair dresser has her own salon in her home. A long time ago I was told that you do not tip the owner of a salon, so I typically do not tip her. Is this practice still acceptable?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Yes, the old rules still apply. The reason for tipping the other workers in a salon is because they must pay the owner to rent a chair in the owners salon.

Business owners are not supposed to accept tips. It is considered very inappropriate for them to do so.
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Aug 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Of course you'd tip her. If she's doing your hair even if she owns the place or not she should still get tipped.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:04 PM
    My hairdresser runs a salon out of her house and everyone tips her then again she's been doing my hair for 16 years. However, I remember when I would go the salon I would still tip the owner whenever he did my hair I would just give him a smaller tip.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:55 PM
    It is confusing. The reason that I have always heard for why you don't tip owners is that they are the ones setting the prices, and they should be setting a reasonable price that they are happy with. Someone working in a salon doesn't have the chance to raise the prices if they feel that they aren't making enough.

Having said that, I do tip my salon owner, and then feel slightly guilty about doing so.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2007, 07:49 AM
    You typically do not give the owner a tip.
    burke87539 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Why would you not tip her/him? Owners work just as hard if not harder for their clients, and at the end of the day your still receiving a service. You always tip for a service!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 03:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by burke87539 View Post
    Why would you not tip her/him?! Owners work just as hard if not harder for their clients, and at the end of the day your still recieving a service. You always tip for a service!
    I own a pest control company. Do you tip your bugman? Every time?

Secondly, why are you answering two and a half year old questions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Way to market a Hair Salon [ 10 Answers ]

I really need help with my Hair Salon. I am located in a shopping center and I purchased a business that originally was a barber shop then a unisex salon. I would like to change this image and make it a hair design salon. I have had the salon for three years and have kept the same name that the...

New Hairdresser and tipping [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to a new hairdresser today because my friend who used to do my hair has moved out of state. What should I tip my new girl? Do I take a certain percentage of the bill?

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

Hair Salon Price Increases [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a salon owner and we are going to be doing our first price increase (annual). Any advice in what way to determine a formula for the increase? The salon is a hair and nail salon. The nail prices are in line with our area. The hair prices are on the lower end of our area.:o

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

View more questions Search