Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortiesport23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 10:17 AM
    What human foods are OK to give dogs?
    My dachshund, is having back pains and the vet said she might have slightly slipped a disc or something? I was wondering what vitamins I can give her and how much to give her (like vitamin C). Do I give her the same Vitamin C tablets that I take or is there a special Vitamin C just for dogs? Also, what vegetables can I give her. Thanks!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 2, 2007, 10:26 AM
    I would call the vet and ask. I'm nervous about giving my pup anything that isn't vet approved. How much depends on how much she weighs, even with vitamins, so your vet would be the best person to help.

Just call and inquire about vitamins or special foods. You don't have to buy them through the vet since they are more expensive, but he has to be the one to tell you WHAT to get and how to give it.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 05:16 AM
    Shortie, for the health of your dog, don't feed her people food. Stick to a good grade chow. That is the best thing you can do for her dental health and it is much easier to monitor portions to keep her weight in check. As mentioned in your other thread, you want to keep her slim and trim. That, above all else, will help alleviate the pressure of the disc/spinal problem she is experiencing. With doxies, the majority of their weight is throughout their middle and excess weight goes directly there. Carry all that weight along the length of the belly puts an enormous strain on the back. If you have her on a decent chow, there is no need for you to purchase additional vitamins. They are well balanced to meet a dog's nutritional needs.
    hettie Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Aug 4, 2007, 02:21 PM
    You could give your dog some carrots either raw or cooked raw good for teeth cooked welljust good I guess cauliflower or broccli buy frozen veg if cookingit just as good.mY dogs get omega 3 cod liver oilmand evening of primrose supplements with their dinner for joints skin and general health they as fit as fiddles and it human stuff they get and yes it was vet approved but double checjk as I live in the ukand out advice idsa bit diff also our supplements may have different ingrediants in the capsules so just check OK
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Hettie, maybe you should find a new vet, one in touch with his mainstream colleagues. Most vets would never allow anybody to feed their dog all that stuff. I know raw carrots can be bad, stressing the dog by stimulating excessive insulin production. Dogs should eat a dry dog chow, and very little else. Many fit as a fiddle dogs suddenly die of pancretitius.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Aug 6, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Well-- I hαd α dog αnd I used to give it everything (except chocolαte) he didn't hαve problems- but thαts just me.. I did give him dog food don't get me wrong..

I didn't tell the vet becαuse well people usuαlly get shunned [which I probαbly will- pleαse no reddies:p I sαid it wαs "just me"... ]-- but he wαs heαlthy-- he died though--cαr killed him not my cαssαrole:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Good foods bad foods [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knows what foods I should avoid if trying to get pregnane and if there are any foods I should eat more of? Also I am know taking prenatal vitimins after dinner on a full stomach is thar right? Be grateful for your advice X

Diet by correct foods [ 3 Answers ]

I want to lose my weight by correct selection of foods. What is your suggestion for me?

Give added oil, some salt and sugar be dogs? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi < I am new on this site. I have a 3 months old cross breed between pug and french bull dog, a frenchie pug that is. I have some queries, that is should I give added oil to my dog, that is maybe cook an egg in oit to give to the dog. Also is some amount of salt and sugar in moderation safe for...

Human medicines safe and unsafe for dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I've read where people have given asprins to their pets and other meds, I thought I'd post this site, thought it may be helpful to some. http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm

List of poisonous foods for cats & dogs [ 8 Answers ]

CAN YOU PLEASE ADD TO THIS LISTING OF POISONOUS FOODS FOR CATS & DOGS WHICH WE MUST NOT FEED THEM AS THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS? FOR DOGS: CHOCOLATE } GRAPES } including foods that contain them also! RAISINS } FOR CATS: ONIONS } including...

View more questions Search