Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Child support and your home
    My husband has back child support to pay and I am wanting to buy a home. Now we are currently on a payment plan to help him catch up but he is worried that if we buy a home the state can take it to pay off his debt. Does anyone know if this is true?
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 2, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kattygirl
    My husband has back child support to pay and I am wanting to buy a home. Now we are currently on a payment plan to help him catch up but he is worried that if we buy a home the state can take it to pay off his debt. Does anyone know if this is true?
    No, the bank will actually own the house.

Aug 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
    What if I paid in full on the house so that the bank didn't own it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Then put the home in your name only, not his name?

But if he owes back child support and has enough money in the bank to buy a house, he should pay his back child support.

Aug 2, 2007, 01:38 PM
    HE doesn't have the money. I do. I let all my taxes go towards getting him caught up but will not give up a house for children that are not mine. He currently pays 750 a month for child support. This comes out of a 1250 disability check. So he has about 600 a month to help pay bills on. I am tired of struggling to pay rent and figured that I can afford to buy a very cheap house outright. I just don't want to lose it because we are married.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:41 PM
    As long as there is a payment plan set up for the child support they will do nothing, they are just concerned that the money is coming in. If child support stopped coming in, then they would do something... but not in the terms of taking a house... it starts with suspending drivers licenses then jail time...

Are you talking about other debt aside from child support?

Aug 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Nope just the child support. I know nothing about it other than if there is ever any extra money coming in it goes to the back payments. Since my husband got cancer and was busy paying the doctor bills so he could continue treatment he got behind and we are doing all we can to catch up and get this off us.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:57 PM
    It really should not be an issue... at all... my daughters father is like $4,000 behind and they don't do anything... he pays an extra $30 a month towards the arreage and as long as those payments are being made they don't do anything. The only time they step in is if the payments stop... then they suspend his drivers license, and once they held him in contempt of court, which just resulted in another suspended drivers license and a suspended jail sentence. They honestly are just concerned that the money is coming in, as long as it is you guys will be fine :)

Aug 2, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Thank you!
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 2, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kattygirl
    HE doesn't have the money. I do.
    If it's your money then put the house in your name... nothing the ex/state can do. It would be safer not to buy the house outright even if you can afford it. The bank will have the lien on it and they can't come after the house.
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Aug 4, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Talk to a real estate atty. There are different ways to take title to property to protect one party's creditors from taking a property that belongs to 2 people. It is called "tenants by the entirety" and is available only to married couples. Technically, it gives each of you 100% ownership and survival rights. So if you owe money and the creditor liens the house, they cannot force a sale because your spouse also owns 100% but he does not owe the money. This form of ownership may not be available in all states so talk to an atty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search