Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michellet218 Posts: 51, Reputation: 0

Aug 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Fashion designer wannabe that can draw but can't sew.
    :confused: Hi!
    My name is Michelle T. and I'm a 22 year old living in Columbia, SC. My dream for the past 12 years was to become a fashion designer. I'm currently attending college so that I can persure my dream one day. I can draw really REALLY well, and my family, friends, and even people I just met always tell me that I draw like a professional fashion designer. I have a portfolio, and many sketch books that I draw my designs in, but the problem is that I am a beginner when it comes to sewing clothes. Lately, I haven't had the money to take up sewing classes, so I just teach myself. I have succeeded in about 3 pieces of clothing that I made, but have also failed more than that. I know sewing takes time to learn, that's why I continue to try and learn from my mistakes. I have found out from other people, television, and common sense in the past years that it's harder to get a job in fashion designing if you can't sew. Mainly people look for people that can draw and sew, but I can only draw. Well, my question is do you know where I can look to find someone that doesn't care if I can't sew? Anybody just looking for a non-sewing fashion designer (ha ha!) or fashion illustrator at the time? I tried looking online, and at google.com, but there's nobody close by. I only found about one place, and that's in Portland, Oregon. That's waaaay to far from Columbia, South Carolina. It's harder for me because South Carolina isn't known for fashion, unlike NY, L.A. FL, etc... I'm thinking about moving to Georgia years from now when I can afford it, but until then, CAN I GET A BREAK FOR NOW?? If you know anything, any piece of information, ANYTHING, please please please let me know. Thanks so much!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Do you have a Jo-Ann fabrics nearby or any store like that?I know they usually offer lesson for really cheap (like 10 or 15 dollars). If not maybe you could post flyers around campus and barter for sewing lessons. Maybe if someone teaches you how to sew you could make a dress or top or whatever in exchange.
    defe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 11:59 PM
    Aww... I live in Aus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

. To a young wannabe lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to be a divorce lawyer but everyone asks why and I don't know any answer I really like law but don't know what to do with my life.

Wannabe Me [ 2 Answers ]

Recently there has been someone on the internet acting like me and calling himself by my name. He chats to people on MSN Messenger and picks fights with people. These people come to me when they see me and are very mad at me. I try to tell them that it was not me but they just keep coming an I...

View more questions Search